Digital storm has apparently unveiled their new computer that uses sub-zero cooling for ridiculous overclocking of your CPU, a i7 core running up to 4.6 GHz.

Here's the link I've found from Gizmodo.
Best comment:

But in all seriousness, this is a lot of money to unload for something that's not really going to spec up better than a $2K or $3K machine you could build yourself with air cooling or at worst Peltiers. As a commenter astutely notes, you can safely overclock i7s to 4GHz on well-arranged air cooling.
Big whoop. 4.6ghz isn't close to impressive, TEC peltier cooling was first done years and years ago, and you can get far better (and real sub-zero) temps using phase change cooling (think a mini refrigerator for your CPU). Not to mention the ridiculous cost of that thing.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Big whoop. 4.6ghz isn't close to impressive, TEC peltier cooling was first done years and years ago, and you can get far better (and real sub-zero) temps using phase change cooling (think a mini refrigerator for your CPU). Not to mention the ridiculous cost of that thing.
Whoa, Kllrnohj came dangerously close to agreeing with me on something? This must be what going mad feels like.
I agree.. way too expensive and unnecessary lol
swivelgames wrote:
I agree.. way too expensive and unnecessary 0x5
Definitely. I wonder how much exactly it would be to construct something of roughly equal power and capacity; I bet at most $3K or $4K.
KermMartian wrote:
swivelgames wrote:
Definitely. I wonder how much exactly it would be to construct something of roughly equal power and capacity; I bet at most $3K or $4K.

Less than that. Figure $1.5k for the hardware (if that), and then $300 for water cooling. Or if you want more extreme cooling, figure $600-700 for the cooling, but a good water setup should get you very close to 4.6ghz if not past it.
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
swivelgames wrote:

Less than that. Figure $1.5k for the hardware (if that), and then $300 for water cooling. Or if you want more extreme cooling, figure $600-700 for the cooling, but a good water setup should get you very close to 4.6ghz if not past it.
Huh, $1.5K? Maybe we'll have to talk about what that entails when my next desktop-upgrading time rolls around. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours