http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/nov/23/un-vote-undermines-gay-rights

This is disgraceful and utterly abhorrent. Exactly HOW is "cultural respect" an excuse for not voting against this motion? Cowards.
The fundies have gone one step too far on this one.
No one followed that rule anyway, and there is still other terminology that protects gays that has also been ignored. The notion itself is despicable, but it doesn't actually change what was already going on in the first place.
It's about the signal. You can't just shield behind religion to justify this kind of thing. The result seems to yell: 'see, you should respect everyone's crackpot ideas'.
I'm getting tired of all the anti-gay bullsh!t that I hear everywhere. Fu*k your religion if it claims gay people should be discriminated against. I generally allow my opinions about religion stay quiet, but this issue pissed me off too much. It is a *capital crime* to be homosexual in Uganda, and that is fu*ked up.
SirCmpwn wrote:
I'm getting tired of all the anti-gay bullsh!t that I hear everywhere. Fu*k your religion if it claims gay people should be discriminated against. I generally allow my opinions about religion stay quiet, but this issue pissed me off too much. It is a *capital crime* to be homosexual in Uganda, and that is fu*ked up.

I couldn't agree more.
Well, most religions evolve over time, so even if some obscure passage in some book says homosexuality is wrong, a given religion can still grow past that idea, same as they grew past the Earth being at the center of the universe. Hell, the church I go to now has a gay tenor and he's a very good friend of my family and a valued member of the congregation.
The problem is, there will always be fundamentalists. Religions may evolve, but some whackjobs will stick to their ancient scribblings.
DShiznit wrote:
Well, most religions evolve over time, so even if some obscure passage in some book says homosexuality is wrong, a given religion can still grow past that idea, same as they grew past the Earth being at the center of the universe..

Woah now, apples and oranges. The Bible doesn't say a word about whether the Earth was at the "center of the universe" or not. I think past generations' reasoning that the Earth should be in the center was (aside from the obvious stuff like the appearance of everything rotating around them) partly due to their belief that Earth is a special place. However, that's pretty much a non sequitur.
calc84maniac wrote:
Woah now, apples and oranges. The Bible doesn't say a word about whether the Earth was at the "center of the universe" or not. I think past generations' reasoning that the Earth should be in the center was (aside from the obvious stuff like the appearance of everything rotating around them) partly due to their belief that Earth is a special place. However, that's pretty much a non sequitur.

Perhaps not, but it DOES say that slavery, rape, and murder are OK.

The point is that the morals the bible preaches are not the morals we have today, not at all. Religion changes over time, it always has and it always will.
I believe that the big problem being bemoaned by some of the participants in this thread is that it doesn't change fast enough. Also, only Cemetech could turn a UN debate into a religious debate in two posts. Razz
Cemetech could probably turn a KnightOS update into a religious debate. It turned a tiDE update into a debate over the (dis)advantages of WPF in three posts. Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours