Go-go security theater.
lol haha
elfprince13 wrote:
Wow. This is truly ridiculous; I'm curious to see what kind of horror stories we're going to hear about from tonight and tomorrow with lots of people travelling for Thanksgiving.
Wow... that's pretty crazy. I also wonder what fun stories we'll get to hear come friday Very Happy
Wow.. Nice.
_player1537 wrote:
Wow... that's pretty crazy. I also wonder what fun stories we'll get to hear come friday Very Happy
Just to be clear that I'm not some kind of misanthrope, I would prefer that no one is forced to go through any trouble at all, but I feel it's inevitable when you combine rent-a-cop-style arrogance and theatrics with masses of people confronting complex and convoluted (and somewhat arbitrary) rules.
On a related note:
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/11/tsa-training/
Quote:
It turns out the TSA’s screener-training program suffers from systemic problems, including a shortage of on-the-job training monitors, slow or malfunctioning computers, and managers who fail to give TSOs enough time to keep up to date on their their legally-required training, according to a timely report from the Department of Homeland Security’s Inspector General.

“TSOs described rushing through course material without devoting the attention needed to retain the lessons,” reads the report, which is dated Oct. 26, and was made public last week. “TSA officials agreed that if TSOs hurry through training courses because they are not being allocated sufficient time by management or they do not have access to training computers, they may not receive adequate or quality training.”
Yet another symptom of the bloated and convoluted intelligence and security agencies we inherited. I wonder how much money they'd save if they just scrapped all these Bush-era programs...
Also, they dumped a urostomy bag on someone and made him get on the plane covered in pee
DShiznit wrote:
Yet another symptom of the bloated and convoluted intelligence and security agencies we inherited. I wonder how much money they'd save if they just scrapped all these Bush-era programs...
I thought you were in favor of maintaining and even expanding the current TSA screening programs?
When did I say that? I'm in favor of streamlining the process, making it as fast and secure as possible. These scanners don't do that yet(though further research and development might help), nor do the dozens of useless intelligence agencies the last administration created. I think we need to consolidate our intelligence programs so information on potential threats can get where it needs to go before one of these plots is carried out.

This disturbs me, and certainly shouldn't happen, but this particular issue is not the government's fault, but that of the individual agents involved, who as stated were not following federal law. There could have been no TSA at all and this same crap could have happened with any other security system, public or private, as long as similar people were involved. There's nothing that can be done to really stop a-shole security guys from being a-sholes; the most you can do is discourage it with punishment, which will pretty much definitely occur in this case. But let's not distract ourselves. The root of the problem is that the TSA is getting shouldered with too much responsibility in stopping terrorists, and having to do crazy things to try an accomplish that goal. This is because, as I've stated, our intelligence has become completely useless. Stop blaming TSA agents who are doing their jobs, for doing their jobs. As soon as someone blows up another plane or knocks down another building with one, the TSA will get blamed for it and accused of not doing enough. You need to reform the intelligence agencies BEFORE you can have room for the TSA to change.
As elfprince pointed out, these are the same people who would otherwise be taking your money at Walmart, and trained hugely insufficiently to boot, according to the report that he quoted. This video is sheer insanity; that's harassment, plain and simple.
Wtf? I completely agree. That video is just... insane.
_player1537 wrote:
Wtf? I completely agree. That video is just... insane.

^ this, but with more cursing `-`
I agree it's insane, and that the agents involved have the educational aspirations of a broken lightbulb, I just think it's not the fault of Federal law that they acted that way. It might just as easily be due to the large work force needed to take a stab at the grossly unrealistic expectations of airline security in a country without organized intelligence.
I'd also like to point out that my family has had our own traumatic TSA experience, 5 years ago when Bush was still president, when they cavity-searched my father and smashed my mom's laptop. Of course, if you spoke out back then, you were an unAmerican traitor...
I suppose it's a victory on the part of the terrorists. They have succeeded in terrorizing America to this extend. Pretty much what they intended, innit?
In some ways, perhaps. Though by stating a goal, I think you're attributing more rational thought and reasoning to them than they deserve. It might be more accurate to say that the irrational on both sides "won".
DShiznit wrote:
In some ways, perhaps. Though by stating a goal, I think you're attributing more rational thought and reasoning to them than they deserve. It might be more accurate to say that the irrational on both sides "won".

That might be more accurate, perhaps.
DShiznit wrote:

This actually sounds like a good idea. I was just gonna get a chubby before the scan but this might be even better.

EDIT- perhaps this should fork off into a "how would you mess with the TSA" topic? What do you think Kerm?

Or how would you mess with law enforcement in general. I've always had a fantasy of seeing whether police officers would subject themselves to the indignity of engaging in a high-speed chase with a van that has a Dunkin' Donuts sign mounted on top.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 10
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours