I'm working on a demonstration program based on NetPong and its ancestors to show off multi-calculator networking more effectively. Here's a simple sample screenshot; note that the balls aren't supposed to multiply like that.

Does NetPong handle more than 2 players in a meaningful way or is it essentially 2 players with extra screens providing more "ball space"?
elfprince13 wrote:
Does NetPong handle more than 2 players in a meaningful way or is it essentially 2 players with extra screens providing more "ball space"?
At this point, it's essentially more ball space, but I'd certainly be open to suggestions (or your own modifications).
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
At this point, it's essentially more ball space, but I'd certainly be open to suggestions (or your own modifications).

I was considering various mechanisms to allow n players for n calculators, and had some interesting ideas about either centering paddlings on each screen and trying to prevent scoring in either direction, or placing a paddle on the edge of the screen and only require that balls be blocked if they are coming from the opposite side.
Are those bouncing Mario sprites? The performance seems good! How much time is dedicated to the networking routines?
benryves wrote:
Are those bouncing Mario sprites? The performance seems good! How much time is dedicated to the networking routines?
They are indeed bouncing Mario sprites. The networking routines take negligible time when there's no data on the wire; otherwise they take about 15ms for a frame transmission and about the same for reception.
ohh pretty. I shall await a beta to test for you Very Happy
qazz42 wrote:
As soon as I get rid of the magically-multiplying Marios (and implement setting number of initial balls per calculator, and perhaps more controlled ball additions and removals), I'll be happy to do so.
what's with the random lines at the bottom of each screen? Looking good though Smile
Eeems wrote:
what's with the random lines at the bottom of each screen? Looking good though Smile
Debug indicators; first 8 pixels is a "run indicator" for the interrupt, next 8 is for receiving, next 8 is for transmitting. The 12th byte on the last row is for collisions. Displaying those is settable via a flag; I have them on while I'm debugging this demo program.
Ah ok cool Smile thanks for explaining, I kinda thought it was for debugging.
Eeems wrote:
Ah ok cool Smile thanks for explaining, I kinda thought it was for debugging.
And you were right. Smile I guess I didn't really explain that in the Whitepaper either, so I suppose it would be a good idea for me to update that at some point.
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
As soon as I get rid of the magically-multiplying Marios (and implement setting number of initial balls per calculator, and perhaps more controlled ball additions and removals), I'll be happy to do so.

wait, before you do, can you upload this multiplying mario one? I looks cool in my opinion Good Idea
qazz42 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:

wait, before you do, can you upload this multiplying mario one? I looks cool in my opinion Good Idea
The trouble is that it's quite unstable, in the sense that it tends to forget which calculator is where (although it does not RAM clear or freeze). I'll give you a version that's hopefully just as cool when I figure out the bugs.
cool, I would love to show that to my friend. All that mario will make them explode
qazz42 wrote:
cool, I would love to show that to my friend. All that mario will make them explode
Hahaha, if I want to go for wider publication of CALCnet I think it will behoove me to not use the Mario sprite. Wink
nice, although it not that anyone else other than my friends would care ><
qazz42 wrote:
nice, although it not that anyone else other than my friends would care ><
I'll give you a version with the Mario sprites before I release it to everyone else then, ok? Wink
yay! Sounds good Razz
Just to keep everyone updated on the state of the project, turmoil in my personal life on top of some big and annoying assignments has temporarily put tracking the last of the issues in this program on hold, I'm afraid.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours