Crazy weird book! BUT I loved it. It's kinda futuristicy, but not quite. I'd almost call it modern, but the technology they have beats ours by a century or so.
Anyway, so pretty much, the main character starts out knowing nothing, but then, as he learns more, the book becomes more clear as to why stuff happens the way it does. My favorite part of the book is the virtual world he starts out in. It didn't really make sense for a long time, but so what.
I picked this book by going into the school library and grabbing the first book I saw. I do that sometimes!
(I wish I coulda writ a better review, but I didn't understand some of it, cuz of the confusion I experienced. Maybe if I read it again....)
Who's the author of the book? It sounds relatively interesting, I'll have to check it out at some point.
Its in the name of the topic, Nick Sagan. (Beware, lots of swearing and drugs in the book)
adept wrote:
Its in the name of the topic, Nick Sagan. (Beware, lots of swearing and drugs in the book)
Oh, I thought "Idlewild Nick Sagan" was the name of the book. So it's "Idlewild," by Nick Sagan. Sounds good.
He's Carl Sagan's son. Ya know, the astronomer dude? I started to re-read it. Makes ten times more sense now that I know the end! I recommend if you read it to do it twice!
adept wrote:
He's Carl Sagan's son. Ya know, the astronomer dude? I started to re-read it. Makes ten times more sense now that I know the end! I recommend if you read it to do it twice!
Oh, I know Carl Sagan very well. Smile

(fun related item:)
You actually knew Carl Sagan?! He's the guy on the TV. What was that show called...? Anyway, neat video. Combines two great thinkers.

On a sidenote, whenever I think the name Carl, I think of Communism! Razz
I didn't know him personally, but I'm well-acquainted with his brilliant work.
I re-read the book. I totally get it now! The whole virtual reality thing isn't really that important. The really important stuff is the plague junk thrown in. That is the plot of the book. The plague kills everyone, and these genetically altered super-humans are made to save it. The mini-plot is that one of the ten is a murderous scoundrel. It turns out to be the last person you thought it would be. The philisophical aspects of the book make it a really good re-read. (BTW, makes almost no sense the first time. Not enough knowledge to put it together and get whats going on.)
adept wrote:
You actually knew Carl Sagan?! He's the guy on the TV. What was that show called...?

Cosmos, i believe? Laughing

anyways, thanks for the reminder. idlewild has been on my 'things to do list' for a while, but it had been 'pushed to the back burner'(meaning i had completely forgotten about it).

also, if you're interested in that song it, and several others, can be downloaded for free from the symphony of science, or purchased as a vinyl!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours