Goal: Tell me what restaurants/eateries are open around campus right now. The idea pretty much sprung out of a 4am coding fest with some friends on a weeknight...and realizing that we had no idea where to get food.

Completed:
-Spits out a list of names as well as hours from a Google Calendar.
-If a location is closing soon, it puts it at the bottom of the list and flags it as red.

To Do:
-Include map, phone, and menu data -- and populate the dropdown thing.
-Expand its database.
-Have it sort and categorize the list of locations.
-CSS for mobile

Semi Technical Blah:
-Runs on Google App Engine, written in Python (it's my first project on app engine)
-Uses Tipfy and Jinja for other fun stuff.

Link: http://www.nomsrightnow.com/
Good stuff rthprog. I'm loving the websites you and your classmates are creating! Keep it up!
Thanks! Especially for the design help Smile
Sure thing!

I remember you were going to try and make the colours alternate between day & night. Did you do this? Also, since it's all local restaurants, is the time localized or dependent on the clients time?
Not yet; It would be pretty simple to just swap the CSS though. Not entirely sure what colors I would change on the new theme though :/ I guess for now, I'm more concerned with getting it to display content in a reasonable manner.

I made it localized... there's a clock on the top right just for testing purposes. Funny story actually; when we first finished coding, we were getting all sorts of errors because 1) it wasn't in Pittsburgh time, as it was running on Google's servers, and b) it happened to be daylight savings *facepalm*
It would be super awesome if this could be expanded to everywhere. Like, put in your area code, and it spits out this list Smile
merthsoft wrote:
It would be super awesome if this could be expanded to everywhere. Like, put in your area code, and it spits out this list Smile

Yes, yes it would Smile I guess that's sort of a long, long term goal... the thing is that collecting all of that data would be a pain Sad
It wouldn't be too bad. Maybe put it in a SQL database instead of Google. I'd love to help out with that!
Looking good there. I was checking out your http://recursiveservices.com/ site, which I thought was fairly well-done. What is your picture in front of the Microsoft logo if you're not affiliated with them, though? Also, the lead-in phrases for each person are a bit too cutesy for me, but it's not for me to judge that. Smile
rthprog wrote:
merthsoft wrote:

Yes, yes it would Smile I guess that's sort of a long, long term goal... the thing is that collecting all of that data would be a pain Sad

Allow moderated user submissions? I'd love to spread this around in the Burlington, VT area.
As elfprince says, if you could moderate user submissions or establish some kind of moderation hierarchy (admins elect gmods who elect local moderators who moderate submissions for their area) you could greatly simplify the hierarchy.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours