Exodus is an extremely fun yet difficult puzzler/platformer for the TI-83/84 series calculators. There are 24 levels that should provide lots of fun. Upon first glance, Exodus looks like most other games released for the calculator, with monochrome graphics and loading times, but it includes many features rarely seen in Basic games. Exodus includes actual enemies that you must avoid and shoot to advance to the next level. Also there are gems you must collect and a flag you need to be at in order to finish each level. If that's not enough, there are also switches that control a tile that toggles between solid and clear whenever you shoot the switch. Finally there are crumbling blocks that disappear after you've stepped on them more than once and spikes that you cannot land on. There is also a world map even customizable options. Exodus also features unheard of speed for a TI-Basic game, so fast that if you hold one of the arrows it skips the frame immediately after moving for the first time. Also the entire game is in only one program with no external variables so it is easier to keep track of. Exodus is one of the best games ever coded in TI-Basic language and a must try. Click link to download one of the greatest games you'll ever play.

Current beta: http://ourl.ca/7181

Crosspost from Omnimaga:

The Final Release for Exodus is scheduled for mid-next week. I will release more details for when I will be releasing it later this week. Here are some of the features I've been adding:

A) Optimizations and a Steady Frame Rate

I changed many variables to the variables found in the [Vars] [2] menu for greater speed. Also, there is a steady frame rate all the time; if there's one enemy on the screen or four, the frame rate will be constant.
I am getting 3-3.5 fps right now. ;D

B) Save The Lobsters

There are some bonus secrets located on the World Map (see next screenie). Netham as an enemy is one of them. Razz

C) World Map

This will replace the Input command for choosing levels. It also provides a location for "Bonus Secrets", which are found with a cutsceen! Very Happy

Don't miss Exodus when it comes out next week. ;D
It certainly looks like you put a lot of work into this, Ztrumpet! (Although perhaps "one of the best games coded in BASIC" might be a bit of a biased view? Cool). I'm looking forward to trying it. Have you perchance tested if it plays well with Doors CS? Do you use external libraries? It looks to me like it's pure BASIC, but I'm not 100% on that from the description.
it's pure basic.
i haven't been around long enough to witness the heyday of pure basic, but from what i have seen i wouldn't hesitate to include it in a list of the best.
nicely done, z!
shmibs wrote:
it's pure basic.
i haven't been around long enough to witness the heyday of pure basic, but from what i have seen i wouldn't hesitate to include it in a list of the best.
nicely done, z!
Oh definitely, I can't argue that it's not an extremely well-made program! Very impressive for pure BASIC indeed, ztrumpet.
This is great! I tried the previous beta and enjoyed it. Can't wait to see the final version. How do you display the treasure chest, by the way?
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
How do you display the treasure chest, by the way?

The code looks like this:
Quote:
Display Bottom
Display top 1
rand(##
Text(-1,Y,X," " to clear top
Display top 2
rand(##
Display top 3
rand(##
Display top 4
rand(##
Display top 5
rand(##

I also attached prgmOPEN here: http://www.omnimaga.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5232.0;attach=4376
Nifty! Nice use of textsprites. Smile Did you see my question about how well it works under Doors CS, by the way?
ztrumpet wrote:
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
How do you display the treasure chest, by the way?

The code looks like this:
Quote:
Display Bottom
Display top 1
rand(##
Display top 2
rand(##
Display top 3
rand(##
Display top 4
rand(##
Display top 5
rand(##

I also attached prgmOPEN here: http://www.omnimaga.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5232.0;attach=4376
Hmm I'm a bit confused. I think I'll check the attachment instead.
KermMartian wrote:
Nifty! Nice use of textsprites. Smile Did you see my question about how well it works under Doors CS, by the way?
Yup. Actually, Wabbit has it's State Saved with Doors's homescreen run hooks enabled. The three screenies on this page work perfectly; plus I'll do more testing later. Smile
Unrelated to your thread, but I thought it was a funny coincidence that I have a project called "Exodus." It's an RPG, however.

I think I'll consider changing my project's name now, as to avoid any confusion. Razz
ztrumpet wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Yup. Actually, Wabbit has it's State Saved with Doors's homescreen run hooks enabled. The three screenies on this page work perfectly; plus I'll do more testing later. Smile
Excellent, I look forward to hearing your results.
Zera wrote:
Unrelated to your thread, but I thought it was a funny coincidence that I have a project called "Exodus." It's an RPG, however.

I think I'll consider changing my project's name now, as to avoid any confusion. Razz
I think it should be fine. Just put Exodus RPG as thread title maybe. After all, there's a RPG called Exodus Ultima. Wink

But again it's up to you, especially if you don't want to cause any confusion with the Ultima game either.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
Zera wrote:

I think it should be fine. Just put Exodus RPG as thread title maybe. After all, there's a RPG called Exodus Ultima. Wink

But again it's up to you, especially if you don't want to cause any confusion with the Ultima game either.
Yeah, as I was reading the first line I thought about Ultima. Smile I would certainly be fine with Exodus RPG (or Exodus: Something or Something: Exodus, even). I don't think there would be terribly much confusion with those names.
Kerm, I noticed I missed your question on external libraries - I use no Asm in Exodus.

D) Yes, you can have cherries.

The first Bonus Secret you will encounter allows you to change the gems to cherries. It serves no purpose whatsoever other than providing bliss to Iambian. Enjoy! Very Happy
That's the complexity of a medium-hard difficulty level by the way.
Credits for the Cherry sprite go to Madskillz. Thanks!

Everything's progressing smoothly as well, and I am on track for a release on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. Very Happy
Cooking great! I still don't really understand the cherries meme, but I'll take your word for it that Iambian loves them. Smile I'm looking forward to the release Tuesday or Wednesday. I don't suppose you have a DCS header with icon/description...? Wink If not, I'd be happy to design one.
KermMartian wrote:
Cooking great!
Thanks! I think Razz

I'd love to have a DCS image. If you design one, I'll use it. Smile
ztrumpet wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Cooking great!
Thanks! I think Razz

I'd love to have a DCS image. If you design one, I'll use it. Smile
I was going on a pun on "Looking good" with the cherries/lobsters motif. Nevermind Evil or Very Mad Anywho, I'll design you said icon. Any preferences on what it shall be? A lobster? A cherry? Something more topical?
I would like it to look like a scene from the game. Smile
Here's your header:

Code:
::"Exodus
::DCS6
:"F8608A8AABC08A8AF86000008BE0AA2072A0222073E000000144000A01440000

I hope that works for you. Smile
Hmm, I'll think about it. Smile

New screenies tonight, showcasing the world map in action!

Next up is tackling the tutorial feature. Current code size is around 10700 bytes.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours