How to search for high resolution images in Wikipedia? Wikipedia has tons of high resolution images (ex: 5000px by 5000px+) and many can be found in the featured image panorama section. But many are buried within the site and aren't featured. These images can be amazingly useful as wallpapers for people with multiple monitors.
antholory wrote:
How to search for high resolution images in Wikipedia? Wikipedia has tons of high resolution images (ex: 5000px by 5000px+) and many can be found in the featured image panorama section. But many are buried within the site and aren't featured. These images can be amazingly useful as wallpapers for people with multiple monitors.
True story, and the fix is easy enough. Just use Google Image Search, and under advanced options, set the minimum dimensions to whatever your looking for.
If that doesn't suit your fancy, you could always go to the wallpaper section on your favorite *chan. They are always filled with people demanding ridiculous resolutions on pretty neat images.
Wikimedia Wink
My favorite:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f2/Neutrophil_with_anthrax_copy.jpg

Edit by Kerm: please use URL tags for giant images, not IMG tags!
Sporelol
How can I convince my students not to use Wikipedia? I require two or three textbooks plus a lot of my students buy the four or five optional books I put on the syllabus. The latest issues of all the relevant journals are at the library. They still insist on going to Wikipedia. I think they're tuning me out when I mention Wikipedia. Just another anti-Facebook, anti-Wikipedia grumpy old man.
This sounds way to familiar, a google search reveals you == bot

both aberlary and antholory seem to be Wink
aberlary wrote:
How can I convince my students not to use Wikipedia? I require two or three textbooks plus a lot of my students buy the four or five optional books I put on the syllabus. The latest issues of all the relevant journals are at the library. They still insist on going to Wikipedia. I think they're tuning me out when I mention Wikipedia. Just another anti-Facebook, anti-Wikipedia grumpy old man.

While this is a bot, the question brought up is legitimate. Wikipedia is *not* supposed to be used as a primary source for research projects. It *is* supposed to be used as an index of sources, as in, a way to find other valid 3rd-party sources. You know all those links at the bottom of the page? Those are other places you can go to learn about a topic. Used in this fashion, Wikipedia is a valuable tool for research.
my teachers would disagree Razz many of them use wikipedia
Most of my professors would agree that Wikipedia is not a primary source. However, it can be a good resource for finding primary sources among the citations for the page, just as DShiznit correctly noted.

Also, I need to suspend these two bots and remove their signatures.
I'm not entirely sure antholory is a bot actually, but the other may very well be.
DShiznit wrote:
I'm not entirely sure antholory is a bot actually, but the other may very well be.
Based on googling their post texts and "interests", they're both bots, and now both are suspended.
That's one convincing bot
DShiznit wrote:
That's one convincing bot
Indeed, I definitely suspect a human was responsible for getting past the captcha; otherwise we must be nigh on the singularity already.
Haha, but the first person is because if you look at his signature Rolling Eyes
The singularity did occur. Fortunately, the newly born machine intelligences took after their human creators and spend most of their time watching football and eating chips Razz
KeithJohansen wrote:
The singularity did occur. Fortunately, the newly born machine intelligences took after their human creators and spend most of their time watching football and eating chips Razz
Haha, wouldn't that be ironic? I would love if the newly-created AIs ended up doing the computational equivalent of watching youtube videos all day (repeatedly calculating digits of pi?) after the Singularity.
http://www.isthesingularityhereyet.com/
Look at the source Smile
merthsoft wrote:
Cool! Now to write a program to collide SHA1 hashes...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours