That's cool.
linspire wasnt meant for "hardcore users" its for the average user
Linux isn't meant to be for the average user at all, no matter how you twist it (at least, not traditional linux...)
i loved debian, it was great

gentoo pwns it tho. gentoo for prez! (note: gentoo == really, really hardcore Wink )
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
I'm peronally running Fluxbox on my server.

what distro?
Debian...

and Gentoo has a very similar file structure to Debian, and their forums has many, many tutorials that have been very invaluable to me.
I really want to try Debian, but it is 7 CDs, a lot of downloading.
Surprised I'll say...
I might try ans reinstall Suse and Win form scratch, see what happens.
rivereye wrote:

TWO DAMMIT! i've said that like 120389592130570 times here. All you NEED are the first 2 cd's for a full GUI system!!!!! (KDE or gnome, take your pick - both are included on those 2 cd's)

so either download and burn the 1rst DVD, or the first 2 cd's - THATS IT (or do a minimal install disk and it will only download the stuff you need - won't work if you require ndiswrapper for wireless tho; ndiswrapper on debian can be tricky i've found)

@ult dev: yeah, i love the gentoo forums/wiki. so much info, so little time Wink
what is a good version for ndiswrapper?
The latest stable one...

Quote:
rivereye wrote:

TWO DAMMIT! i've said that like 120389592130570 times here. All you NEED are the first 2 cd's for a full GUI system!!!!! (KDE or gnome, take your pick - both are included on those 2 cd's)

so either download and burn the 1rst DVD, or the first 2 cd's - THATS IT (or do a minimal install disk and it will only download the stuff you need - won't work if you require ndiswrapper for wireless tho; ndiswrapper on debian can be tricky i've found)

I've only used the 50MB business card one, and the 150MB network install one Very Happy
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
I've only used the 50MB business card one, and the 150MB network install one Very Happy

haha, but that won't start you off with a full GUI without more downloading Wink

Check the ndiswrapper wiki card listing, it usually has what ndiswrapper version they used. Otherwise, just go with the newest. Also note: you'll need the Wireless-Tools package
Quote:
haha, but that won't start you off with a full GUI without more downloading

Yeah, but at least I'll have the latest packages for everything Smile And I have a broadband connection, so I don't really mind.
That helps. Alot. Very Happy
speaking of broad band... i wish i had that Sad o and this site is not to dialup friendly. im thinkin about buildin a linux machine once i upgrade my mobo, and get broadband Sad oct3 i get 4mbps cable Smile
this site can take time on cable also.
I did one of those free quotes from bandwidth.com, and I got a reply in an hour; T1 lines cost (in my area) from $500 to $700 a month Crying

Oh, and they also provide connections for ISPs, which I thought was interesting.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Yeah, but at least I'll have the latest packages for everything Smile And I have a broadband connection, so I don't really mind.

if you have an active internet connection while installing, it does that anywy Wink

Yeah, T1 lines are expensive (although not always great. Some T1 lines are only 1.5mbs)
Re: this site going slow: Phase 2, people! Big Move Phase 2!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours