What feature would you like to see first in The World's Hardest Game?
Circular enemy movements
 10%  [ 1 ]
Door opened by a key pickup
 10%  [ 1 ]
Program-sized level editor
 40%  [ 4 ]
Checkerboard pattern in the background
 0%  [ 0 ]
Optimize for speed, different versions for 83+/84+
 40%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

Since sometime in July, I've been working on porting The World's Hardest Game to Axe. Finally, I've finished it.
In this game, you pick up 'coins' while avoiding enemies and then try to reach the finish. Some levels may be easy, while others may be harder.
I went further than the flash version goes, however, and made a level editor. The levels are created as appvars, but you can export them to linking-program-friendly programs and back again.

The game is compatible with the 83+BE, yet it contains a Full Speed Mode option.
More screenies.

Known bugs

Using teacher key (DEL), sometimes the location of the player sprite is shifted around, specifically from the very top to the very bottom.

Also, full speed is not reactivated on continue. It's probably more of an asset than a bug to the person playing it, though.

Sometimes, an enemy seems to get corrupted and is displayed something like a pair of parenthesis while moving twice as fast.

Compile the level editor as an app. The game can be a program. The sample level needs to be imported before it can be played. Just do it at the level select screen.

Teacher key doesn't work right in MirageOS. Just in case anybody still actually uses MOS anymore...
*hint* try DCS

Edit: link (thanks Kerm)
The World's Hardest Game
heeey, I played this before, I shall downloads...

it is pretty fun Smile

(awww, I lost)
You'll need to compile it with axe parser. The file is uploaded to Archives, pending approval.

Link to axe parser
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/428/42813.html
That's looks very impressive, darl181! Thanks for sharing this with us. Smile You mentioned that the level editor is so large it needs to be an app, while the game itself is small enough to be a program. That seems a bit counter-intuitive to me, so can you explain that one?
The app is more complex, as it has to write the level (appvar) while the game just has to read it. It seemed odd to me as well.
darl181 wrote:
The app is more complex, as it has to write the level (appvar) while the game just has to read it. It seemed odd to me as well.
I dunno, I still feel like an editor is simply a tile editor plus the writing routines, while the game itself needs to deal with interactions, maintaining the state, and all that fun stuff. :/ At any rate, I look forward to your resubmission to the archives. Smile
Resubmission? I thought I was just waiting for it to get approved...?
darl181 wrote:
Resubmission? I thought I was just waiting for it to get approved...?
No, TIFreak rejected it with my agreement because it looked like it didn't have the compiled app in it. You can submit just the program without the level editor if you want, or even both together the way it was, now that we understand that the un-compiled App was just the level editor.
Oh, so I'd have to resend the zip file?
*idea* would it be too confusing if I included the compiled probran and compiled (but unsigned) app?
darl181 wrote:
Oh, so I'd have to resend the zip file?
*idea* would it be too confusing if I included the compiled program and compiled (but unsigned) app?
That would be fine. Alberthro was unable to sign the app? It had sounded like he succeeded...
I sent it Virtual calc →virtual calc via wabbitemu.
It seems to work fine.
So, should I do the whole submitting process again?
Or is the zip I already submitted still pending approval.
Great program it looks like Smile

I hope the kinks are worked out. Definitely going to download this and give it a shot Very Happy
darl181 wrote:
I sent it Virtual calc →virtual calc via wabbitemu.
It seems to work fine.
So, should I do the whole submitting process again?
Or is the zip I already submitted still pending approval.
>_< Once again, we rejected it, which means you need to re-upload. It's not a big deal, just re-enter the title, description, and zip file, and attach your screenshots. Also set the folder, of course.
Re-submitted. Now includes compiled program (no need to bother with source now) and the signed app. Also has four levels included.
Awesome! Great to hear. This game looks pretty cool ^^,
darl181 wrote:
Re-submitted. Now includes compiled program (no need to bother with source now) and the signed app. Also has four levels included.
Superb! Here's your file in the archives, plus screenshots:

The World's Hardest Game

First post edited. Thanks!
darl181 wrote:
First post edited. Thanks!
The pleasure is entirely mine. By the way, I just noticed this little nugget:

Quote:
Teasher key doesn't work right in MirageOS. Just in case anybody still actually uses MOS anymore...
Are you by any chance saying people should be using Doors CS 7 instead? If so, many kudos. Smile
Actually, I haven't tested it with DCS7. For some reason, even though I have an 84+, it only has 10 app slots. idk why
I would test it now, but wabbitemu, for some reason, screws up on this home computer (and perfectly fine on others, same ROM).
Hey, just noticed "teacher" is spelled wrong. I'll have to fix that...
darl181 wrote:
Actually, I haven't tested it with DCS7. For some reason, even though I have an 84+, it only has 10 app slots. idk why
I would test it now, but wabbitemu, for some reason, screws up on this home computer (and perfectly fine on others, same ROM).
Hey, just noticed "teacher" is spelled wrong. I'll have to fix that...
That's very frustrating to hear; out of curiosity, what OS version are you running?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours