calc84maniac wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:
Nope, it's a ROM.
Wait, so is it a full "OS" so to speak, then? Shock That would be pretty cool if so.

Well... only if we could rewrite the boot page on a real calc.
Ahhh, fair enough. :/ I just think it's a pretty cool concept that you managed to turn a caculator into as pure of a Gameboy as you can get without any hardware modifications.
hehe, that is pretty cool Very Happy
I've started making pre-release betas for the next version of TI-Boy SE. Some major improvements over the alpha version are:
  • Newer TI-84+ calculators -- the ones with the 48KB instead of 128KB RAM chips -- are now supported except for a few cartridges that use massive amounts of RAM (including Pokemon, unfortunately).
  • Better performance, 4 zoom modes all with monochrome (smooth zoom) and grayscale (rough zoom) options
  • Generally, more game compatibility.
  • The APP is only 16KB larger than the ROM instead of 32KB larger.
  • More intuitive emulator controls (+/- for zooming ftw)
  • Suspend mode (screen turns off and calculator halts; this is also useful as a teacher key Wink )

Check out this thread for the latest releases!

Current TI-Boy SE direct download (0.1.02b)
Will Pokemon still work on older 84+SEs with all their memoreez?
elfprince13 wrote:
Will Pokemon still work on older 84+SEs with all their memoreez?

Indeed it does. It still has some performance issues while handling text boxes, which may or may not be fixed. Still faster than the alpha version though Very Happy
What does the OS mod actually do? Does the OS need to be resigned to transfer it to another calc?
souvik1997 wrote:
What does the OS mod actually do? Does the OS need to be resigned to transfer it to another calc?

Starting with Beta 0.1.01, it no longer makes a permanent patch to the OS (thanks to penguin77's recently found boot code exploit). There is a temporary patch made while TI-Boy is running, but it is fully restored when exiting. This patch also allows automatic crash recovery Very Happy
calc84maniac wrote:

When you've zoomed in, how do you pan around? The numpad?
KermMartian wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:

When you've zoomed in, how do you pan around? The numpad?

Yes. Currently the panning is a bit slow, which is one thing I hope to change before the official release.
ooh, nice that I helped test this from before Smile

Also, it seems that TI-Boy no longer needs the OS mod (in the omni topic), wonderful, now to test! I cant wait to show this off in school Very Happy
Hmm, I suppose I might still want to include an optional patch for the CopyFlashPage glitch to prevent APP corruption upon defragmentation.
calc84maniac wrote:
Yes. Currently the panning is a bit slow, which is one thing I hope to change before the official release.
Excellent, and how will you being doing that? Also, there's an emulation pause key, so panning speed is not the end of the world, correct?
KermMartian wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:
Excellent, and how will you being doing that? Also, there's an emulation pause key, so panning speed is not the end of the world, correct?

No pause key (except for the one that puts the calculator in sleep mode). Even if there was, I wouldn't be able to pan because redrawing the screen relies on the emulation progressing. I was thinking more of a solution of making it able to move faster. Razz Possibly some sort of acceleration, kind of like the cursor in DCS
Ah, that makes sense, since you use the running Gameboy game to do the actual drawing (of course). acceleration would be nice, or how about some key combo that lets you go to the edges? (ie, 5+4 = all the way to left edge).
Hey, has anybody tried out TI-Boy Beta 0.1.02 on the TI-83+SE? I want to make sure it actually does work Wink
calc84maniac wrote:
Hey, has anybody tried out TI-Boy Beta 0.1.02 on the TI-83+SE? I want to make sure it actually does work Wink

I don't know anyone who has one of those calcs, otherwise I would totally help you there. How different is it from an TI-84+SE?
graphmastur wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:

I don't know anyone who has one of those calcs, otherwise I would totally help you there. How different is it from an TI-84+SE?

The main difference in this case is the boot code (which is exploited to unlock flash). The other differences are lack of a Real-Time Clock and USB hardware.
graphmastur wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:

Are you serious? If that was a legitimate post instead of an attempt to get yourself up to 300 posts, then you are sorely lacking in your calculator knowledge. Smile Calc84, is there one with a free-as-in-speech ROM built in already that I could test on one of my several TI-83+SE calculators?
KermMartian wrote:
graphmastur wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:

Are you serious? If that was a legitimate post instead of an attempt to get yourself up to 300 posts, then you are sorely lacking in your calculator knowledge. Smile Calc84, is there one with a free-as-in-speech ROM built in already that I could test on one of my several TI-83+SE calculators?

You can find many much free-as-in-speech homebrew roms at http://www.pdroms.de/files/gameboy/. Smile Just make sure not to get a Game Boy Color rom.
Because my TI-83+SEs are in unfortunate states of semi-repair, the one that I used to test has some latent ribbon cable issues still, so I don't have a hugely useful bug report. I tried a game called Adjustrix, and perhaps due to a random number generate glitch, after my first two games it just gave me single-cell blocks continuously.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours