That's one doomed space marine! Duke Nukem 3D's multiplayer was far more fun than DOOM's; more interesting weapons (shrink ray, freezethrower, laser tripbomb) and fun items to play with (the trademark jet pack or "Holoduke" to deceive your enemies). The levels were also more detailed and realistic. You can probably see why people were so excited to be getting a new Duke Nukem game!
benryves wrote:
That's one doomed space marine! Duke Nukem 3D's multiplayer was far more fun than DOOM's; more interesting weapons (shrink ray, freezethrower, laser tripbomb) and fun items to play with (the trademark jet pack or "Holoduke" to deceive your enemies). The levels were also more detailed and realistic. You can probably see why people were so excited to be getting a new Duke Nukem game!
Ooooh, perhaps I can indeed find an abandonware version of it to try out, then. I know I can JFGI this, but were they released around the same time.
Duke Nukem 3D was released in 1996, so a few years after DOOM and just before Quake (hence Duke quipping "I ain't afraid of no Quake" in a level). It uses Ken Silverman's famous Build engine.
So it IS being released before TBG.
Lucas W wrote:
So it IS being released before TBG.
Yeah, but it's not like TBG was started before it so that Duke Nukem lapped it or something. Razz
and it has a large, paid team who's only job is to make that game.
DShiznit wrote:
Well, when the Freebuild devs get paid as much as 3DRealms coders, and haven't published the game after 14 years of development, you may mock and scorn them too. Smile
DShiznit wrote:

Actually 3D Realms were making a decent bit more than DNF, the first thing that comes to mind is the trippy FPSish game Prey. And I know I have seen them produce a few other games. That is, unless you are talking about the 20 or so people WITHIN 3D Realms that were in charge. And yeah, their job wasn't necessarally to make DNF, but to appease to their boss, whose name skips my mind, but he was the person who wanted to add everything possible to the game, and it kept delaying it. Thus the "when it's done" release date ( updated to 2011 though! )
Aye, that topic I linked to earlier in the thread claimed that the boss you mention at 3DRealms was the king of the Feature Creeps, and led to giant sections being occasionally scrapped. Thanks for the point of clarification, CDI; I wasn't aware they published anything else in the meantime.
CDI wrote:
Actually 3D Realms were making a decent bit more than DNF, the first thing that comes to mind is the trippy FPSish game Prey. And I know I have seen them produce a few other games.

Prey was developed by Human Head Studios after 3D Realms failed to do anything with it.

3D Realms hasn't developed a game since Shadow Warrior in 1997. Well, technically they also did the Duke Nukem 3D port to Xbox Live Arcade - but I don't think that really counts for anything.

CDI wrote:
Thus the "when it's done" release date ( updated to 2011 though! )

You might have missed that it is now being created by a different developer. Gearbox Software is now heading up development, and they are the ones who announced a 2011 release date (meaning we will probably actually see the game in 2011).
Weird fractured double post? I doubt that the Xbox Live Arcade actually took a whole lot of new coding or work.
KermMartian wrote:
Weird fractured double post?

*shrug*

Dunno what happened there.

Quote:
I doubt that the Xbox Live Arcade actually took a whole lot of new coding or work.

Probably took an intern like a whole month or something crazy Razz
I bought Borderlands GOTY Edition the other day, and just noticed I got a free "first access" certificate to Duke Nukem Forever. I'm going to redeem it and see what I get. It doesn't sound like I'll get anything immediately.
comicIDIOT wrote:
I bought Borderlands GOTY Edition the other day, and just noticed I got a free "first access" certificate to Duke Nukem Forever. I'm going to redeem it and see what I get. It doesn't sound like I'll get anything immediately.
Yeah, I saw a lot of articles about that phenomenon; considering how pricey I heard the Borderlands GOTY was, in the $50-$6- range, I'm glad that you didn't buy it just for the early Duke Nukem demo, which I think would sorta be a waste of money.
I may or may not buy it. Definitely not going to get all hyped up about it, and I'm definitely not going to overly promote it (even if it's finally developed). IMHO, I don't think it's going to be that great. I absolutely loved all the other Duke games, but I just don't have faith in DNF...

Also, fun link: http://duke.a-13.net/
TL;DRs: Scroll past the article. There's a few amusing lists Smile

The article is a good read, though.
swivelgames wrote:
Also, fun link: http://duke.a-13.net/
TL;DRs: Scroll past the article. There's a few amusing lists Smile

The article is a good read, though.
I read the list first and was rewarded with some epic amusement. It's like a mini Total Perspective Vortex with Duke Nukem Forever as the Universe. Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours