Is it an OS or is it just an application? I can still use my calculator normally right?
icypenguin wrote:
Is it an OS or is it just an application? I can still use my calculator normally right?
Doors CS 7 is an application that lets you run any kind of program on your calculator, and has tons of features for users and coders. Unlike other shells that are misleadingly-named (yes, MirageOS, I'm looking at you), Doors CS makes it clear from the name, Doors Calculator Shell, that it'll let you continue using the TI-OS for all your normal educational, mathy pursuits. Short answer, yes, you can still use your calculator normally.

Welcome to Cemetech! I hope you'll stick around, keep this topic alive, and tell me your thoughts on DCS7.
Doors CS 7 is really cool. The UI is great, I couldn't get Ion to work so I tried this and I love using it to play games on my calculator. Very Happy
icypenguin wrote:
Doors CS 7 is really cool. The UI is great, I couldn't get Ion to work so I tried this and I love using it to play games on my calculator. Very Happy
Awesome, glad you're liking it! Any problems found so far? Do you do any coding as well, or just game-playing? I'm curious if you got here from the Cemetech URL in DCS itself, or in the readme/news. Smile
I haven't found any problems. I don't do any coding.

Quick question, is it better to put games in the RAM or Archive?
icypenguin wrote:
I haven't found any problems. I don't do any coding.

Quick question, is it better to put games in the RAM or Archive?
It depends. They'll run slightly faster out of RAM, but if you have a lot of programs and games, you won't be able to fit them into RAM, so you'll need to put them in the Archive. Also, if you put programs in the Archive, then if you clear your calculator's RAM on purpose or because of a buggy program, your Archived programs and games will not be lost.
Hey Kerm i gotta question... theres a program that came with doors cs7 called 'DCSHEAD'. what the heck is that? Im guessing its some sort of icon you see when selecting a program, since i can draw in it, but the help section and instructions are vague, and i cant figure it out. Help?
basicly it lets you draw an icon and then you take the code it generates and put it into a BASIC program, thus making a program with an icon
yeah well i tried putting it at the beggining and i just got error messages all round.
err

do read the DCS sdk... it tells you the format in which to put it... (note that using things like this can be difficult for one who does no coding...)
i code alot... ive made about 20 actually useful programs. ive done what it said, it saved it in string 1, then i went to the start of a program just like it said and pasted the code, something like 'Doorscs7[ENTER]90235897235601[ENTER]3905' and it still didnt work... idk Kerm could you jump in here please?
yeah, get rid of the [enter]s because that is there just to tell you to make a new line....

::DCS
:"16-char_hex_icon"

would be the correct format `-`

EDIT: and why ask for Kerm, is my help not good enough for you? Razz
oh... ok ill try thanks {i feel stupid now} <Sad

-Edit: got it to work, thanks!
now, did you really need Kerm for that Razz

glad to help
qazz42 wrote:
yeah, get rid of the [enter]s because that is there just to tell you to make a new line....

::DCS
:"16-char_hex_icon"

would be the correct format `-`

EDIT: and why ask for Kerm, is my help not good enough for you? Razz
Thanks for helping him out, Qazz42; I appreciate the assistance. Smile RCPlanegy, I'm very glad you're a Doors CS 7 user at last! I hope you'll spread it to your friends and classmates. Smile

Also, the SDK page on headers:
http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=BASIC_Header
Are there any tutorials on Z80 assembly, so I can help improve upon DCS7.2 beta 2? I can do some songs in the z80 assembly for the mobileTunes thing, but I can't find any decent tutorials on how to know what the heck ".db " or "am" or "zeg" or "KillUSB" or whatever the h*ll those confusing 3-byte commands are.

Any suggestions?
GinDiamond wrote:
Are there any tutorials on Z80 assembly, so I can help improve upon DCS7.2 beta 2? I can do some songs in the z80 assembly for the mobileTunes thing, but I can't find any decent tutorials on how to know what the heck ".db " or "am" or "zeg" or "KillUSB" or whatever the h*ll those confusing 3-byte commands are.

Any suggestions?
Do you want to write ASM programs to run under Doors CS? If so, I would strongly encourage such an endeavor. I like the "Learn TI-83 Plus Assembly in 28 Days" tutorial ( http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/268/26877.html ), and you should use the Doors CS SDK for compiling programs. An emulator like jsTIfied or WabbitEmu is vital for testing programs. And be sure to ask us any questions as you learn, and to write tons of code to test your new skills.
Yeah, I would like to write ASM programs to run under DCS7, like the DocEd7 or some other real cool app. For instance, I have an idea of making a fractal generator that can have the user store the fractals to pics, and store formulas and points of iteration in "librarys" or "favorites".
I also have an idea for a text reader/editor that's like DocEd7, but a bit easier to use.

I would also like to improve upon DCS7 by changing some of the code.
GinDiamond wrote:
Yeah, I would like to write ASM programs to run under DCS7, like the DocEd7 or some other real cool app. For instance, I have an idea of making a fractal generator that can have the user store the fractals to pics, and store formulas and points of iteration in "librarys" or "favorites".
I also have an idea for a text reader/editor that's like DocEd7, but a bit easier to use.
Those all sound like awesome ideas; I hope that you will follow through! I'm especially curious to hear about the text editor idea.

Quote:
I would also like to improve upon DCS7 by changing some of the code.
That part is difficult, as after some bad experiences with stolen code I retracted the Doors CS source from public view. What do you have in mind? Perhaps something you could make as a Shell Expansion (SE)?
For the text editor thing, I was thinking of making a screen like the DocEd7, but you can "zoom" into it, and use the arrow keys to move the cursor in four directions, effectively making a 4-way scrolling page, so you can see the text more clearly while zoomed in. I was also thinking of making the [DEL] button do the backspace, and the [CLEAR] the Undo (redo would be [ALPHA][CLEAR]).

As for the shell expansion thing, I was wondering if there was a way to integrate the usb8x driver into DCS, so that you don't have to install a separate app. That would be cool if you could just install DCS and hook up a keyboard and a mouse, and you'd have yourself a very spiffy 16-bit computer!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours