KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Still jumping the gun. There is still a huge amount of information I have to read from it. I was just posting this to show I was making progress even in the midst of my super hectic week.
Ah, then pardon me, but still stunningly awesome. Smile Thanks for your dedication even when you're busy with real life; on behalf of all the current and future Freebuild players, I solicit our gratitude.

You should pop over to http://theorangeblock.org and whip them into shape. When I tried to suggest that maybe your opinion as the #1 most prolific calculator programmer on the planet might be worth recognizing, they replied with assertions that calculator programming was a useless, irrelevant hobby...
I believe we said it has no use in the real world, if you want to code on a calculator for your spare time, fine.
Lucas W wrote:
I believe we said it has no use in the real world.

Quote:
use·less   
–adjective
of no use; not serving the purpose or any purpose; unavailing or futile: It is useless to reason with him.
without useful qualities; of no practical good: a useless person; a useless gadget.
Lucas W wrote:
I believe we said it has no use in the real world, if you want to code on a calculator for your spare time, fine.
If it had no use in the real world, it certainly wouldn't have helped tune my technological aptitude starting at a very early age, prompted me to use and master dozens of programming languages, help me learn the skills necessary to major in Electrical Engineering at one of the top engineering schools in the nation, earn two degrees in five years and well on my way to a PhD, and earn me the frequent efforts of headhunters, right? And it certainly wouldn't have let me make the lives of millions of students around the world just a little bit better, right? How selfish and useless of me.
I knew there were good paragraph-long reasons to justify it, I just couldn't put them into words as gracefully as you have.
DShiznit wrote:
I knew there were good paragraph-long reasons to justify it, I just couldn't put them into words as gracefully as you have.
Cheers, thanks.
So you can use it to learn other things
That came off a bit more kiss-ass-y than intended, but yeah, working with calculators does prepare you for other things; one you forgot to mention Kerm is that invaluable experience with soldering and micro-circuitry.
Lucas W wrote:
So you can use it to learn other things
Except if you read the paragraph, it's also a means in and of itself. For example, I recently got CALCnet2.2 to fully work on hardware calculators, a step forward that's been four years in the making since CALCnet2.2 started sorta-working on emulators. That's hugely gratifying, and even if it's unlikely that schools across the nation will suddenly install CALCnet infrastructure, it's cool to think I got calculators to network. The drive of calculator programming is not that it's easy (because it's quite the opposite) or even that it's some kind of macho "this is so hard therefore I'm manly" type of thing, it's the frustration and challenge of doing something amazing on such a primitive platform, and the sense of accomplishment when you succeed. And if it's a game or something that other people are likely to enjoy, then the magic of calculator-to-calculator linking will virally spread your work. Do you know how cool it is to meet someone, and look at their calculator, and find some of your work on it?
Wouldn't be better to program for a more capable device?
Lucas W wrote:
Wouldn't be better to program for a more capable device?
"Better" in the sense of more modern, maybe, but the whole point is to doing something challenging. Any beginner programmer can use Objective-C to make some kind of lame game for the iDevices. It takes a dedicated coder with low-level knowledge of registers, timing, bitmasking and shifting, and a million other things to make that same device in assembly on a calculator.
Generally speaking, you can't just solder a new chip or screen on a more complex device... Also, calculators are extremely widespread. Pretty much everyone has access to them one way or another, making the market for your projects freaking huge.
Dshiznit, I don't see DoorCS running on my home calculator.
Kerm, why are you taking such a defensive position man? It's just calculators.
Is in the TI-83 or above family? Every school has them, colleges have even better ones, and even if you're in a 3rd-world country, you're likely to come across a red-cross manager using one at some point.
You said Calculators. Not TI calculators
Jimmg wrote:
Kerm, why are you taking such a defensive position man? It's just calculators.
Because it's my thing. Razz I take pride in a lot of things in my life, including my home and my city, my education and its peripheral related things like my degrees, test scores, certifications, and all that, my EE projects, and my programing projects, my beautiful girlfriend, but in terms of uniqueness and notoriety, there's just a single world's most prolific graphing calculator programmer, and after putting in what's about 12 years of work into the community now, it's something that means a lot to me.
Lucas W wrote:
You said Calculators. Not TI calculators

I assumed we were all on the same page when it came to talking about calculators. The massively over-sized graphic at the top might have been your biggest hint...
I'm going to split this into a topic on the merits of niche-platform programming.

And if you don't respect Kerm because of his calculator credentials, respect him as a graduate of the most selective electrical engineering program in the country Wink
elfprince13 wrote:
I'm going to split this into a topic on the merits of niche-platform programming.

And if you don't respect Kerm because of his calculator credentials, respect him as a graduate of the most selective electrical engineering program in the country Wink
Thanks Elfprince, I appreciate your confidence and support. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours