Program Art?
Yes
 93%  [ 15 ]
No
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

KermMartian wrote:
@TheStorm: facepalm.

Someone linked to it in one of the IRC channels I frequent and I couldn't resist posting.
I read it as
div class equals main
span i-d equals marquee
blog! end span end div
(or maybe the last line is
blog! slash span slash div
but it still works Very Happy)

TheStorm, wow Razz
calcdude84se wrote:
I read it as
div class equals main
span i-d equals marquee
blog! end span end div
(or maybe the last line is
blog! slash span slash div
but it still works Very Happy)

TheStorm, wow Razz
Same here, although I considered that someone might pronounce it as end-span end-div.
"end-span end-div" is still four syllables, though, is it not? Very Happy
calcdude84se wrote:
"end-span end-div" is still four syllables, though, is it not? Very Happy
Indeed it is, so that particular example works out well several different possible ways.
Art is something that takes practice and talent, as does coding, but that isn't what makes them similar, it is the results that would make it so much alike. The code itself may not look like much, but neither does the paint, pencil, pen, etc. alone. It is the combination that creates the results that we see.
Sonlen wrote:
Art is something that takes practice and talent, as does coding, but that isn't what makes them similar, it is the results that would make it so much alike. The code itself may not look like much, but neither does the paint, pencil, pen, etc. alone. It is the combination that creates the results that we see.
Hey, very nicely put, Sonlen! I like that definition a lot.
KermMartian wrote:
Sonlen wrote:

In my opinion, that is the definition.
Sonlen wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Sonlen wrote:

In my opinion, that is the definition.
And your welcome to it, since it seems like a concise and well-reasoned definition. Smile
I'm so happy my post was cool enough to need a second page! Very Happy Seems like everyone here votes yes!
adept wrote:
I'm so happy my post was cool enough to need a second page! Very Happy Seems like everyone here votes yes!
I'd go into the database to see who the one person is who voted no, but since I'm sure it was the curmudgeonly Kllrnohj, I won't bother. Very Happy I also award myself (1) point for truthful alliteration.
How do you even say Kllnohj? (spell it out phonetically for me!) Just Joking
IMHO programming isn't fully art if we talk about the software produced by doing it. Software designing would be. Programming by itself could probably be some form of art, though, such as some Weregoose pieces of code, for example. It's a different form of art, though.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
IMHO programming isn't fully art if we talk about the software produced by doing it. Software designing would be. Programming by itself could probably be some form of art, though, such as some Weregoose pieces of code, for example. It's a different form of art, though.
I guess in my personal experiences the design and the coding are one and the same; otherwise I'd just be a code monkey, something that I have less than no interest in becoming. Smile If they were not lumped together, I agree with your point.

@adept: I say it "Killer'noj", where the j has the sound of 'j' in 'job' or 'jack' and 'no' is pronounced like refusal.
How can "no" be pronounced like "refusal"?
merthsoft wrote:
How can "no" be pronounced like "refusal"?
That's not what I said, I said "'no' as in refusal", not "'no' as in 'refusal'". Note the difference.
Sad I still don't understand...
merthsoft wrote:
Sad I still don't understand...
I said as in the term of refusal, ie, "No", not the literal word "refusal". Razz
Oh.
merthsoft wrote:
Oh.
Good, I'm glad we cleared that up. Shall we now return to the topic at hand, programming vs. art?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours