Well, I doubt there are any of you who really care. But, I do suffer from Acne and while helping a guest at work he said that he use to have acne like me. His doctor told him to separate his foods and pay attention to when he has breakouts. I thought that was a good idea.

I started thinking about what food I consume _everyday._ I eliminated chicken strips, bread and noodles & cheese. Then, today. It occurred to me that I drink a great deal of Whole Milk a day. Going through two gallons a week or less. So, I googled. And found an article on About.com, out of which I noted several things:

Quote:
Researchers claim to have found a correlation between milk intake and the incidence of acne. It seems milk drinkers develop more severe acne than non-milk drinkers.
Quote:
Of all dairy products, milk was the worst offender. Chocolate milk, cottage cheese, and sherbet also had a negative effect on the skin. But other dairy products didn't seem to cause breakouts.

Interestingly, skim milk induced breakouts more often than whole milk, so it seems fat content in milk isn't the culprit. And those who took vitamin D supplements didn't have more breakouts, so vitamin D isn't thought to be the cause either.
Quote:
Of course, not everyone who drinks a lot of milk breaks out in pimples, and many disagree with these findings.

Do we have any high milk drinkers with acne here?
Uh, yeah. Dang. Nice diet there champ.
Cool
I think the benefits of milk in terms of calcium outweigh any possible detriments. Razz
True. And I've appreciated the benefits but I think I've benefitted enough! I can always take Calcium, & Vitamin D outside of milk. So, after I finish my last gallon of milk I'm going to see if milk has any affect on my complexion.

Off to enjoy these cookies! Very Happy
comicIDIOT wrote:
True. And I've appreciated the benefits but I think I've benefitted enough! I can always take Calcium, & Vitamin D outside of milk. So, after I finish my last gallon of milk I'm going to see if milk has any affect on my complexion.

Off to enjoy these cookies! Very Happy
Eh, good luck with that. I like milk in my coffee, milk in my cereal, milk with my cookies, milk with some meals, and even a little milk on my oatmeaal.
Give... up... milk? O_o
MADNESS!

Seriously, comic, frakk the acne. Who gives a frakk if you've got volcanoes on your face? Stripping essential parts of your diet out for the sake of vanity is beyond stupid. Even if you can take supplements to 'make up' for it, it's not the same. Why take pills for everything when you can chug a nice cold glass of the white stuff?
There are alternatives to milk that are healthier and don't have the issues some individuals have with dairy products. I recently tried almond milk, and I think it tastes wonderful! Hemp milk is even healthier, but the taste will probably take some getting used to...
NOOOOEESS!

Not chocolate milk! that is essential to life!

though skim milk isnt the best, I think 2% fat milk should do
magicdanw wrote:
There are alternatives to milk that are healthier and don't have the issues some individuals have with dairy products. I recently tried almond milk, and I think it tastes wonderful! Hemp milk is even healthier, but the taste will probably take some getting used to...
I enjoy Rice Dream and similar non-dairy milk, but I just get it occasionally as a novelty and because Chrystina likes it, not because I have any objected to milk, nor do I consider it a replacement for my milk. Of course, if you have allergy, food ethic, or religious reasons not to have milk, I can certainly see the point.
I'm with Kerm over here. Rice Dream and others every once in a while, but I do like my milk. 2% if I can... But my Dad likes 1% and non-fat milk (which I don't have much of a liking for).

I haven't had many problems with acne, but I went through a stage where I literally had no acne what so ever and am trying to get back to that. I do, however, have Acid Reflux Disease, so I'm trying to do my best to balance my meals with my blood type, ARD, and my most current diet.

However, I'm definitely not one of those people who go ape-shht crazy over their diet. You know what I ate yesterday? No breakfast, A honey-maple ham and black-forest ham sandwich for lunch, and pizza for dinner. Granted, I'm usually not that terrible, but I'm definitely not a crazy, paranoid, self-conscious, insecure bone bag.

I think it's a good idea, Alex. Milk is definitely one of those things I'd cut off my list, to be completely honest. Dairy and Gluten are two things you definitely want to watch your intake of, depending on your blood-type and body. Gluten everyone needs to avoid period... but that's close to impossible, sadly (sadly for me). All I know is I'ma die at 25 due to a sickness from gluten-intake. Not much I can do, seeing as I'm broke, and have no control over what is purchased at the store. 99% of the food in the fridge and pantry contains gluten; practically unavoidable.
Oh noes, you should be having gluten-free products, Swivelgames! Sad Sorry to hear it.
Why should "everyone" avoid gluten? In my life I've encountered a grand total of one coeliac. As for milk, I've only ever drunk whole milk (3.5%) as I find semi-skimmed tastes pretty unpleasant.

Drinking more water may help your complexion. It can't hurt to try, at any rate. Smile
once again, drink 2% fat milk Smile it is healthy
benryves wrote:
Why should "everyone" avoid gluten? In my life I've encountered a grand total of one coeliac. As for milk, I've only ever drunk whole milk (3.5%) as I find semi-skimmed tastes pretty unpleasant.

Drinking more water may help your complexion. It can't hurt to try, at any rate. Smile
Yeah, I currently drink whole milk myself (sidebar, interesting to know that it's 3.5%), although growing up I usually had skim or 1%.
Drinking skim or 2% milk won't help my complexion, Qazz42:
Quote:
Interestingly, skim milk induced breakouts more often than whole milk

Also, all I've had to consume today was two bags of mini Cookies from the Dollar Spot at work and a Grape Gatorade (1.07$) and just now, microwave chicken strips from the grocery.

Keith, I want to be acne free. Not just for others but for me as well.

I'll try almond milk and see how I like it. I'll have to find a small quantity of it. Also, I really dislike water. It makes me hungrier and it never tastes the same - I'll drink Tap over purified or/and bottled water any day.
I haven't had milk in years: soy milk is just as tasty without all of that grossness factor.
If dairy milk is an issue, you can consider switching to soy or rice milk. Both taste relatively similar to dairy milk. (rice milk is more comparable to skim milk) Since there are a lot of people with unknown soy allergies, I usually recommend rice milk to be on the safe side. You can also try fat-free milk. For some reason, fat-free milk doesn't seem to cause the same problems whole milk would.

If you think you have it bad, try interstitial cystitis. I'm allergic to most anything that goes into my body. If I have anything acidic, soy-based or peanut-based, it feels like I'm trying to pass shards of broken glass when I urinate. I have to take anesthetics to prevent being incapacitated by the pain.

I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, so I get a lot of dairy to balance my protein intake. Since I'm also lactose-intolerant, there are some challenges there. As long as the dairy is fat-free, it doesn't cause any problems for me.
errrm, how old are you comic?
I'm 20, and currently four months from 21.

Zera, from the article:
Quote:
Interestingly, skim milk induced breakouts more often than whole milk
Quote:
Many dairy farmers also give their cows additional hormones to stimulate milk production and enable the cow to produce more milk. As a result, most milk is very high in IGF-1. IGF-1 is a growth factor that peaks in the human body during adolescence, when acne is usually at it's worst. It is believed that IGF-1, along with testosterone and DHT, trigger acne breakouts.

In two previous studies, high milk consumption was linked to high IGF-1 levels. Again, skim milk was associated with higher IGF-1 levels than whole milk.
It's not a fact that I'm allergic but that the chemicals, proteins or what-have-it in milk is causing my complexion. Lowering the fat content of the milk wont help my situation either, sadly. My only option is to remove milk completely. I plan to stay away from milk for a week or so and continue on my medication (pill and face cream) and if my complexion lessens I'm going to stop the medication and see if my complexion continues to decline.

As much as I cherish milk, I'll love my face more without acne P;

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours