When making a text based RPG that has lot's of variables.
Should you store the date inside a List and then just
have recorded on paper like in LGAME the 6th element is
your health and then when you want to manipulate health
in the game you use LGAME(6) instead of let's say a
varaible H? Having a hard time making the game with the
limited variables provided by the TI-OS when everything
needs it's own individual variable. Thanks!

{edit}
-Do you always have to define the size of a List before
you make it, or will it expand as you add more to it?
Thanks again!

{edit}
-I notice with RPG's and games that they are broken down
into multiple different programs. I'm assuming you do this so
you don't run out of RAM. But do you then have to unarchive
and archive your programs all throughout execution? Also, do variables unarchived carry over to the other programs? Any
tips for making a beginner RPG would be great as well, thanks!
Yes, that is exactly how it works.

Please work on your punctuation and use the enter key to make your post more readable Smile
souvik1997 wrote:
Please work on your punctuation and use the enter key to make your post more readable Smile

Says the man with no punctuation in his post.
haha merth, I used the Smile as a giant period
souvik1997 wrote:
haha merth, I used the Smile as a giant period

Excuses, nothing more, and back on topic.
I never got around to messing with Lists for that, but it sounds correct to me.
Rmontgomery07 wrote:
When making a text based RPG that has lot's of variables. Should you store the date inside a List and then just have recorded on paper like in LGAME the 6th element is your health and then when you want to manipulate health in the game you use LGAME(6) instead of let's say a varaible H? Having a hard time making the game with the limited variables provided by the TI-OS when everything needs it's own individual variable. Thanks!

You are absolutely correct.
Rmontgomery07 wrote:
{edit}
-Do you always have to define the size of a List before you make it, or will it expand as you add more to it?
Thanks again!
You can expand or shrink a list on-the-fly without losing its contents (except of course elements removed, if you shrink it). Regarding using named lists: be aware that if you refer to a list named GAME one hundred times, you could say, for instance, 200 bytes by calling the list GM or something instead.

Also, no need to hit enter to manually break lines; the forum will do that for you. Smile
Well, I am a newbie to this forum and all. But, i love computers and i grew up messing with them taking them apart and making my own PCs.(I am not an expert so do not ask for help.) So now I am on a Quest to find out how the "DNA" in a computer works, and not just the body system.

SO, hopefully my words can be heard and not fall on deft ears. But, earlier today I threw together a rough RPG battle system. It needs more work before I would use it, but I be glad to share with you what I got so far.
Zerocode wrote:
Well, I am a newbie to this forum and all. But, i love computers and i grew up messing with them taking them apart and making my own PCs.(I am not an expert so do not ask for help.) So now I am on a Quest to find out how the "DNA" in a computer works, and not just the body system.

SO, hopefully my words can be heard and not fall on deft ears. But, earlier today I threw together a rough RPG battle system. It needs more work before I would use it, but I be glad to share with you what I got so far.

I'd love to check out what you got going, I have been brainstorming about what I want to do with my battle system.
Zerocode wrote:

Awesome, as Rmontgomery said, you should totally post it up. You should also post any PC questions you have; I have two degrees in Electrical Engineering, and many of the people here are very knowledgeable in the field. Smile
So I tried to make a simple 2x2 square of pixels move around to keypress, and it was unsuccessful... I'm aware the code could be written a lot smaller with the use of more advanced commands but I'm not quite that experienced yet.

thanks!

Code:
:ClrHome
:ClrDraw
:‾50→Xmin
:‾50→Ymin
:50→Xmax
:50→Ymax
:CoordOff
:AxesOff
:FnOff
:0→X
:0→Y
:1→A
:1→B
:0→C
:1→D
:1→E
:0→F
:1→K
:Pt-On(X,Y)
:Pt-On(A,B)
:Pt-On(C,D)
:Pt-On(E,F)
:While K≠23
:getKey→K
:If K=25
:Y+1.6→Y:B+1.6→B:D+1.6→D:F+1.6→F
:Pt-Off(X,Y-1.6)
:Pt-Off(A,B-1.6)
:Pt-Off(C,D-1.6)
:Pt-Off(E,F-1.6)
:If K=24
:X-1→X:A-1→A:C-1→C:E-1→E
:Pt-Off(X+1,Y)
:Pt-Off(A+1,B)
:Pt-Off(C+1,D)
:Pt-Off(E+1,F)
:If K=34
:Y-1.6→Y:B-1.6→B:D-1.6→D:F-1.6→F
:Pt-Off(X,Y+1.6)
:Pt-Off(A,B+1.6)
:Pt-Off(C,D+1.6)
:Pt-Off(E,F+1.6)
:If K=26
:X+1→X:A+1→A:C+1→C:E+1→E
:Pt-Off(X-1,Y)
:Pt-Off(A-1,B)
:Pt-Off(C-1,D)
:Pt-Off(E-1,F)
:End

Edit by _player1537: Added code tags to test my GMod abilities :P
1. use the quote tags
2. lookin good, unfortunetly, I cant see the problem Sad
Rmontgomery07 wrote:
So I tried to make a simple 2x2 square of pixels move around to keypress, and it was unsuccessful... I'm aware the code could be written a lot smaller with the use of more advanced commands but I'm not quite that experienced yet.

thanks!

:‾50→Xmin
:‾50→Ymin
:50→Xmax
:50→Ymax
:CoordOff
:AxesOff
:FnOff
:0→X
:0→Y
:1→A
:1→B
:0→C
:1→D
:1→E
:0→F
:1→K
:While K≠23
:getKey→K
change this to
:While 1
:Repeat Ans
:Getkey
:Ans->K

:If K=25
:Y+1.6→Y:B+1.6→B:D+1.6→D:F+1.6→F
:Pt-Off(X,Y-1.6)
:Pt-Off(A,B-1.6)
:Pt-Off(C,D-1.6)
:Pt-Off(E,F-1.6)
:If K=24
:X-1→X:A-1→A:C-1→C:E-1→E
:Pt-Off(X+1,Y)
:Pt-Off(A+1,B)
:Pt-Off(C+1,D)
:Pt-Off(E+1,F)
:If K=34
:Y-1.6→Y:B-1.6→B:D-1.6→D:F-1.6→F
:Pt-Off(X,Y+1.6)
:Pt-Off(A,B+1.6)
:Pt-Off(C,D+1.6)
:Pt-Off(E,F+1.6)
:If K=26
:X+1→X:A+1→A:C+1→C:E+1→E
:Pt-Off(X-1,Y)
:Pt-Off(A-1,B)
:Pt-Off(C-1,D)
:Pt-Off(E-1,F)

Note the changes I mentioned above.
I won't type out my form of a code that does that, but have 2 pxl coordinates stored to vars, DO NOT USE Y, TI-OS resets that for some strange reason, and then have your point set by those 2, with

Code:
:2->A:2->B
:A,B
:A+1,B
:A+1,B+1
:A,B+1

And just change your A and B Vars for the new coordinates with the keypresses.
And also if you set your Xmax to 95, Xmin to 1, Ymax to -1, and Ymin to -63, each seperate row and column will be in increment of 1, and always a whole number, tell me if I confused you anywhere.

BASIC Code wrote:
:DispGraph
:5→A:5→B
:While 1
:Repeat Ans
:getKey
:Ans→K
:Pxl-On(B,A
:Pxl-On(B+1,A
:Pxl-On(B+1,A+1
:Pxl-On(B,A+1
:
Generated by SourceCoder, © 2005-2010 Cemetech

See if you can complete this yourself. :D
If you need help, feel free to ask though.

Also, you have all the Vars needed there right now, so you don't need anymore.
Sonlen, nice job on those suggestions! Let's see what that does for him.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours