As announced in several recent news articles, CALCnet2.2 is a long-running project of mine that has in the past two weeks reach fruition on real hardware devices. NetPong v1.0 is a small game that I have been developing for the last few days to showcase the capabilities of CALCnet 2.2, including broadcasting, one-to-many and one-to-one transmissions, fault and collision tolerance, and low latency capabilities. NetPong allows you to play Pong across an arbitrary number of calculators. With two, three, four or more calculators, NetPong creates a single virtual LCD for a standard Pong game, complete with scoring, paddles, distributed pausing and quitting, and more. Although no specialized hardware is required, playing with more than two calculators requires a simple splice of I/O cables together; feel free to ask here on the forums for assistance with that.

CALCnet2.2 will continue to be developed, and I plan to soon re-integrate it into Doors CS 7, no mean feat considering how little free space is left in it for me to add new features. I'll let the somewhat unwieldy screenshots of two-, three-, and four-calculator gameplay speak for themselves.

Download
NetPong v1.0

Now that's some great work Kerm! Can't wait to see what else is possible!
ahh, finally, a beta!

Now, I think it is time to test on my nspire in a bit... I will post results Very Happy

I tested it on the nspire

needless to say, it didnt work
comicIDIOT wrote:
Now that's some great work Kerm! Can't wait to see what else is possible!
Thanks comicIDIOT! I'm very excited about it, and am also looking forward to all the possible applications of this.

Quote:
ahh, finally, a beta!

Now, I think it is time to test on my nspire in a bit... I will post results Very Happy

I tested it on the nspire

needless to say, it didnt work
Argh, how so? The Nspire never saw the other calculator?
oh, no

the both reconize each other, but the calculator is position number 1 will freeze and I will have too reset RAM or all MEM
qazz42 wrote:
oh, no

the both reconize each other, but the calculator is position number 1 will freeze and I will have too reset RAM or all MEM
It will freeze when you press [ENTER] to start the game, you mean? Hmm, that's interesting. It doesn't behave the way the Nspire does when it executes an illegal instruction, does it?
No, but a very interesting peice of info

while the "one" position calc is frozen, pressing on and off a few times will cause a full reboot on teh nspire and a RAM clear on the TI-84+SE
qazz42 wrote:
No, but a very interesting peice of info

while the "one" position calc is frozen, pressing on and off a few times will cause a full reboot on teh nspire and a RAM clear on the TI-84+SE
How weird! The Cn2.2 interrupt catches poweroff, so it should allow you to turn on and off indefinitely while it waits for data. What if you hold down [CLEAR] while the Nspire appears frozen?
Nothing.. that is how I know it is frozen, clear does nothing to the calculator
qazz42 wrote:
Meh, that's a pain. I'll have to investigate this further, because I'd love for CALCnet2.2 to work properly even on the Nspires.
I'm at school right now and my AP Computer Science class is in love with this.... Just sayin.
Svakk wrote:
I'm at school right now and my AP Computer Science class is in love with this.... Just sayin.
That's great to hear. Very Happy You should convince them all that they should be using Doors CS 7, and give them my regards for liking CALCnet. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
Meh, that's a pain. I'll have to investigate this further, because I'd love for CALCnet2.2 to work properly even on the Nspires.

HA, good luck with that
qazz42 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:

HA, good luck with that
Yeah, I know it's far-fetched, but I'd still like to pull it off. I guess I need to treat myself to an Nspire one of these days.
it would save me alot of trouble (Just Joking) Razz
qazz42 wrote:
it would save me alot of trouble (Just Joking) Razz
I suppose, but I'd probably still want your confirmation of things working or failing. Smile
yeah, probably Smile
qazz42 wrote:
yeah, probably Smile
Good, it's always nice to have other sets of eyes than my own looking into these things. I probably would have missed about 80 to 90% of the bugs that you guys found for me in Doors CS.
could someone direct me to the page where it shows you how to make the spliced cords for this?
happybobjr wrote:
could someone direct me to the page where it shows you how to make the spliced cords for this?
I'm actually going to put up a tutorial for it. You have two cords and you want to splice them into a four-port network? If I were to post detailed instructions, would you be able to take decent photos of the process for me to include in the tutorial?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours