Well, after tallying up the results, we have a winner! Smile

First, I'd like to say thanks to everyone who voted. It's a community project, so we need a solid base of features to stand and develop on. Without YOU, this project that started from an innocent IRC chat and forum post wouldn't have turned into a massive project that hopefully will bob along in the coming months. Remember, we need U in Comm_nity to make it work! Wink

Anyway, let's get to the results: about 1-2 days ago, I counted all the votes in each website and poll, and tabled them inside OpenOffice.org Spreadsheet, which is basically an open source Excel, but not as good or as fun. Razz That said, it definitely wasn't hard to use, but one of my complaints was getting the charts and tables to an image. That was a PAIN to do, but I found a workflow for it:

1) Copy chart or table to OpenOffice.org Drawing.
2) Resize the page to fit it.
3) Export the entire thing as PDF - make sure to choose uncompressed. (Images, I think?)
4) Open up the PDF in GIMP, adjust any import settings (I didn't need to, but as always, mileage may vary), and then export as a PNG. (Or make any edits and then do so)

100% FOSS, with these steps. Not bad, eh?

Anyway, let's actually get to the results. Wink

Here's the graph, with separate bars for the websites:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1016340/OTZ80PollResults/GraphImageSeparated.png

Here's the combined (both websites in one bar):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1016340/OTZ80PollResults/GraphImageCombined.png

Here's the final table: (click to enlarge)

Let's break it down:

Wifi: Obviously it's kind of a no no for Wifi for not just the community, but the testing guys probably don't like it either. Obviously, the verdict is no (no Wifi).

Link cable: People love the port/cable size of headphones, and the fact that it's pretty common too. Yup, you guessed it: the verdict is 3.5mm.

SD card poll: This was definitely a tough decision. People loved the idea... but had to deal with licensing alternatives, and cost/implementation, plus the uses for it. Well, unfortunately for SD card lovers, the verdict is no SD card slot.

Screen resolution poll: This was quite an interesting poll. It's pretty hard to pick from 2, but this? Everyone had to pick from 4! Debates ensued, ranging from the processor's ability to handle such a screen, to having better features than the old TI-8x series. Obviously, no one chose the 96x64 screen again. In the end, there was a narrow lead for the winning feature - one that was just double of the old resolution. That's right - the verdict is 192x128.

Physical navigation poll: Apparently no one liked the touchpad (and for good reason - it's so darned small!). This final decision is old fashioned (so to speak). Obviously, the verdict is arrow keys.

Battery poll: Battery itself is an interesting poll. It's pretty significant, since that's the thing that gets the gears running inside the calc. Everybody had split decisions inside this poll, but the winner? The verdict is an AA battery (rechargeable if possible).

Keyboard/input poll: This was also an interesting poll, but pretty obvious too. It pretty much decides how you type stuff in, like when making programs. Needless to say, we love sticking to old habits. The verdict is alpha lock.

Backlit screen poll: This poll was pretty obvious. It's a pretty cool feature to have. The verdict is yes (have a backlit screen).

Battery indicator light poll: The idea itself kind of sounded shady a bit. It was an interesting idea, but as always, debates spurred questioning placement and usability. In the end, the verdict is no (no battery indicator light).

USB poll: This was also another interesting poll. Cemetech was pretty sleepy when this was posted, since there was only one vote (out of all the options, just one vote - what's up with that, Cemetech?). It basically asks "How do you want to connect your calc to the computer?" Some debates occurred with this one, but the final decision? The verdict is mini USB.

Wow.... that was pretty interesting, wasn't it? Wink

The next step in the process is getting a defined parts list that go together to implement these features. Threads/topics will be opened soon for those discussions.

So for a quick roundup of features:
No Wifi
3.5 mm link cable/port
No SD card
192x128
Arrow keys
AA battery (rechargeable if possible)
Alpha lock
Backlit screen
No battery indicator light
Mini USB

Final features (as in excluding the "nos"):
- 3.5 mm link cable/port
- 192x128 screen
- Arrow keys for directional input
- AA battery (rechargeable if possible) for power
- Alpha lock for alphanumerical and symbol input
- Backlit screen for viewing in dark places
- Mini USB for file transfers between calc and PC (or calc to calc)

All the source files (including the spreadsheets, both in Excel and OpenDocument format) are located here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1016340/OTZ80PollResults/index.html

Again, thanks to everybody who voted! Very Happy Let's hope that this project doesn't become vaporware... Wink (And I'm being serious too! Hopefully it'll be like the Pandora, without the downfalls and failures...)
Hmm, it seems like you ignored most of the things we decided here on Cemetech, from needing to discuss screen size of available units at decent prices first, to the use of an internal rechargeable battery. Sad
KermMartian wrote:
Hmm, it seems like you ignored most of the things we decided here on Cemetech, from needing to discuss screen size of available units at decent prices first, to the use of an internal rechargeable battery. Sad

Not my decisions, community's decisions. Wink
You should've advocated your thoughts at Omnimaga's thread, since it seems that there's barely any voting on this side (and therefore, less power so to speak)...

No worries - these are just some stuff to stand on. In any event that there's a supply, design, or functionality problems while designing and/or picking out hardware, the spec can be changed. Smile
alberthrocks wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

You should've advocated your thoughts at Omnimaga's thread, since it seems that there's barely any voting on this side (and therefore, less power so to speak)...

No worries - these are just some stuff to stand on. In any event that there's a supply, design, or functionality problems while designing and/or picking out hardware, the spec can be changed. Smile
Seems to me that you should have weighted the votes so that each site's polls counted for half the results, especially considering that most of the members here are more proficient and knowledgeable in hardware, and indeed many, including myself, have one or more degrees qualifying them for this type of things. Razz
KermMartian wrote:
alberthrocks wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Seems to me that you should have weighted the votes so that each site's polls counted for half the results, especially considering that most of the members here are more proficient and knowledgeable in hardware, and indeed many, including myself, have one or more degrees qualifying them for this type of things. Razz

I could do that, but would it make a difference? Smile
Also, you would need to get Omnimaga's approval before doing so.
I would have to get Omnimaga's approval for what? You mean the site, or DJ Omnimaga? I thought that Cemetech was an equal partner in this enterprise. >_>

Anyway, next step is selecting hardware, correct? Any personal thoughts from you on what was chosen?
I'll begin my research shortly and start new topics for it Smile
The chosen LCD size is a bit hard to find, but we'll discuss that in a new topic. Wink
alberthrocks wrote:
I'll begin my research shortly and start new topics for it Smile
The chosen LCD size is a bit hard to find, but we'll discuss that in a new topic. Wink
Aight, sounds good. We also should keep in mind the eventual case and form factor, although I don't think we should decide any final specs on that for a while, probably until after some hardware is built and working.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours