I've just recently gone on a vector-tracing kick. First up, a chicken-salmon, as seen in Futurama S06E08:

That was my first ever attempt at vector tracing anything, and it worked out pretty well. After getting a feel with Inkscape from that, I moved on to something more.. complex (click for much larger render):

This one totals over 600 paths and took around five days of work to finish, but I'm quite proud of how it turned out.

Both of those were taken from rather grainy sources (respectively a low-res framegrab and rather noisy JPEG scan), but I thought they deserved a bit better treatment- hence the vector tracing. Anyone else messed with vector images before or now motivated to do so after seeing these results (or, I suppose, any requests Smile)?
That's awesome!!
good job!
Those are amazing, Tari, very impressive work. No particular requests from me, but anything that you're planning of working on in the near future?
Very nice images! You are taking requests, right? In that case, can you make my food, calculator, and flash drive look awesome? They were taken with my webcam in low light, so they look sloppy.

Yeah, that was my lunch. ^_^

Edit: I know it's not the vector "style" but it would be cool to see it in that way, if at all possible.

Double Edit: If you can't or don't want to, how about my Luigi avatar? That would be easy.
Hmm, that might be pretty interesting if that were to be in vector style.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
Double Edit: If you can't or don't want to, how about my Luigi avatar? That would be easy.

20 minutes or so. Not very good (IMHO) since the original lacks much detail at all.

As for the other image, it's not difficult to get something passable out of Inkscape's automated vectorizer, which is powered by potrace, but I don't care enough to do it myself. Smile
That's fine, and the Luigi looks pretty good considering you had only 80x80 pixels to work with. Thanks!
The one in everyday use came from a vectorized rendition of the original sprite.

Original | Vector
Weregoose wrote:

Wow, that has to be like a 3000% increase in size.
..and that's what happens when someone who knows the subject well gets at it. Me, I'm just someone throwing that together.
The Tari wrote:
..and that's what happens when someone who knows the subject well gets at it. Me, I'm just someone throwing that together.

So basically you vectorized a sprite that was already vectorized and then scaled down. SWEET!
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
The Tari wrote:

So basically you vectorized a sprite that was already vectorized and then scaled down. SWEET!
Laughing Sprite->Vector->Scaled->Vector. Considering all the cycles to lose detail and the quick work, Tari, I'd say you did quite a good job. Smile
You know who was really into vectors during his membership at United-TI? This guy.
Weregoose wrote:
You know who was really into vectors during his membership at United-TI? This guy.
Whoa, our very own Joe Penna is Youtube's #8 most highly-subscribed? That's awesome!

KermMartian wrote:
Those are amazing, Tari, very impressive work. No particular requests from me, but anything that you're planning of working on in the near future?
These.

I had previously seen the second one in IRC, and it seems quite good, but I really like the first one.
Indeed, I find that one more interesting as well. The latter needs some sort of fancy background, I think.
The Tari wrote:
Indeed, I find that one more interesting as well. The latter needs some sort of fancy background, I think.
Ooooh, an excellent point! I think that that would probably do the trick.
Several more, likely those of you lurking on IRC have seen this progress:

A bit of a departure from what I had been doing with previous ones, as I sampled a raster image for the background, figuring any such background would not vectorize very well. I also took caps of the image as I worked on it, so here's a 20-frame progression of progress from first lines to touch-up and backgrounds:

And the one I did before that. Pointless amounts of detail on the shoulders and left eye, but it looks good.
Epic oh so epic. I love how that raster background rounds out that first image in particular, and sweet video. Thanks for including that glimpse of your creative process.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours