Do you want the ability to recharge the rechargeable batteries through the usb port?
Yes
 100%  [ 5 ]
no
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

So, this is one of the polls for OTARM.

So, let's hear it. Do you want to be able to charge your calc just like your ipod if it has rechargeable batteries in it? If so, then vote yes. Remember, this is for the ARM OTCalc, not the z80.

Polls end September 17, 2010.
Absolutely, I don't this should be a point of debate at all, although it may need to be something a little beefier than a standard 3.7v 1100mA Li-Poly battery. I think both calculators should have them, and if the z80 calculator should probably have it, the ARM calculator with its more power-hungry CPU and probably LCD, memory, and peripherals should also have one.
I agree Very Happy Through USB for both.
Also, maybe we could have something crazy like letting you charge one calc from another via USB Razz
calcdude84se wrote:
Also, maybe we could have something crazy like letting you charge one calc from another via USB Razz
Hahaha, I like that idea a lot. What does everyone else think?
KermMartian wrote:
calcdude84se wrote:
Hahaha, I like that idea a lot. What does everyone else think?

I don't know. Maybe a plug in to USB thing? Charging from another calc is as simple as letting it charge via the +5v on USB. Set the calc to charge as the peripheral.
Though I may not ever get around to getting batteries or anything that might work with it, I think it is an amazing idea. Something like a PSP, where you can enable and disable the charging through a menu so you can use USB for both calc-calc and calc-charge.
Sonlen wrote:
Though I may not ever get around to getting batteries or anything that might work with it, I think it is an amazing idea. Something like a PSP, where you can enable and disable the charging through a menu so you can use USB for both calc-calc and calc-charge.

Well, actually, the calc sends +5v. That's just a part of USB. One pin is V+, or voltage, there are two data wires, D+ and D-, I believe. Then, there is obviously GND or ground.

This means that the Host calc can send data and electricity to the peripheral calc. Technically, you could do the cord either way, but I believe that they A side of the cable determines which is host, and which is peripheral.

So to sum it up. Host can send electricity to peripheral. They both can send data to each other, although the exact protocol will probably have the host calc send a "what's up?" type packet if it isn't the one sending data. So yeah, that's not confusing.
Well, that's one of the problems with connecting two calculators together; because they are both powering the +5v line, nothing really happens. One of the calculators would have to negotiate with the other to stop powering the +5v line before the port could be used for charging, thus one of the calculators would have to become the peripheral while the other remained a host.
KermMartian wrote:
Well, that's one of the problems with connecting two calculators together; because they are both powering the +5v line, nothing really happens. One of the calculators would have to negotiate with the other to stop powering the +5v line before the port could be used for charging, thus one of the calculators would have to become the peripheral while the other remained a host.

That's how it works! meh, I don't remember stuff like that. But yeah, that seems to be right. so, technically, you could negotiate one to charge with the other. Thanks for that info, kermM. (Wow, just tried to tab-complete.)
graphmastur wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

That's how it works! meh, I don't remember stuff like that. But yeah, that seems to be right. so, technically, you could negotiate one to charge with the other. Thanks for that info, kermM. (Wow, just tried to tab-complete.)
Yeah, that's what I'm saying, that's what he can do for charging. When two TI graphing calcs connect, no such negotiation is necessary, because it doesn't hurt anything for both of the calculators to powering the line, as long as they're both at nearly the same +5v. If there was a differential of any significance, there would be problems, but it's regulated 5V, so it works well.
KermMartian wrote:
graphmastur wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, that's what he can do for charging. When two TI graphing calcs connect, no such negotiation is necessary, because it doesn't hurt anything for both of the calculators to powering the line, as long as they're both at nearly the same +5v. If there was a differential of any significance, there would be problems, but it's regulated 5V, so it works well.

Okay, so if a TI calc connected to an OT, then the OT would just drop the line anyway, and it would be all-good. Sweet, something just works. Wink
Sounds like a plan to me. Very Happy I think a USB charging option should absolutely be implemented then!
KermMartian wrote:
Sounds like a plan to me. Very Happy I think a USB charging option should absolutely be implemented then!

Only 4 people have voted here, so I'll wait a bit. But yeah, I think it's a great idea. On to the next topic! I actually don't remember them all. Wink
graphmastur wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Only 4 people have voted here, so I'll wait a bit. But yeah, I think it's a great idea. On to the next topic! I actually don't remember them all. Wink
Definitely, we'll see who else has opinions to add. Obviously, a built-in charging option depends on what people feel about a rechargeable battery.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours