Ok, so this doesn't look that good as a full system backup, but more of a specific area backup...do you have anything that would be good as a full system backup?
Eeems wrote:
Ok, so this doesn't look that good as a full system backup, but more of a specific area backup...do you have anything that would be good as a full system backup?
I don't know of any good full-system backup software; have you tried the built-in Windows one and found it insufficient? Does anyone else have something to recommend?
Yeah the built in one doesn't work for some reason on my computer, it fails to backup to my net drive.
I'm going to use it to backup my documents and program files, but it wont be as nice as a full out system backup, not to mention it is going to be lots of files to transfer x.x
Eeems wrote:
Yeah the built in one doesn't work for some reason on my computer, it fails to backup to my net drive.
I'm going to use it to backup my documents and program files, but it wont be as nice as a full out system backup, not to mention it is going to be lots of files to transfer x.x
I back up C:\Users\Christopher, with the exception of my browser cache and cookie directories, and the Windows' thumbnail directory, which works great for me. I don't really see a point in backup up my programs and OS, seeing how it takes me no more than four or five hours to do so when necessary, and I like to start with a clean OS and registry anyway.
I'm backing up my whole C drive except for Windows\, ATI\ and $Recycle$\ or whatever that one is called. I like starting right where I left off Razz
Eeems wrote:
I'm backing up my whole C drive except for Windows\, ATI\ and $Recycle$\ or whatever that one is called. I like starting right where I left off Razz
Sounds good, I hope it's an effective backup solution for you. How frequent did you set? Did you remember to configure the password?
What backup method would work the best as optimized for space (time to backup/restore is irrelevant)? So far, all I've seen have been straight 1:1 copies or 1:1 .iso or other imaging. Any thoughts?
Tari has a great guide here; I particular like and use Borg for a bunch of things, since it does automatic, incremental, compressed backups: https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14215
I actually have a somewhat hilarious, mostly kinda depressing “you should really back up your stuff” story.
I have a calculator. This is a fairly well-established fact considering that I’m even on this forum. Smile
Point is, I code as a hobby, but I don’t often have access to a computer that is good for coding (or at least didn’t at the time). As IRC lurkers will probably have heard me ranting about, my mom has semi-permanently confiscated my calculator. Therein lies the rub -- due to some dumb record-keeping on my part, sheer laziness, and bad filesystem organization skills (it’s a serious problem), I have approximately a dozen unfinished projects on my calculator that have not been backed up for well over a week (…’s worth of work -- I actually haven’t even seen my calculator in well over six months) or simply have never been backed up, period. Here comes the bad organization. A long time ago I got the idea into my head to essentially download the entirety of the Cemetech Archives’ CE programs.
Literally the entirety.
So, what resulted was not (contrary to what was expected) a hefty fine from our ISP (that did come, but for different reasons) but instead an extremely bloated hard drive.
Kinda literally.
At any rate, my mom has confiscated the computer to which I backed up my calc stuff... the ONLY computer to which I backed up my calc. Partially because it was the only computer I had (I have since acquired an old Chromebook on which I have successfully installed crouton and Xenial Ubuntu/Xfce4, but that’s beside the point), but I still had access to the 12+ free gigabytes of Google Drive space.
So, I did back the most important folders to Drive.
This is where the story gets a bit complicated, so I’m going to gloss this over a bit. Long story short, my systems for keeping backups up to date are horrendous, resulting in an odd mishmash of new and old backups. One thing to note is that this isn’t a single-file backup -- this is a direct upload of folders to Drive. Such was the folly of my younger years.
What has since resulted is my Drive being chock full of static data files (which do in fact belong locally) and none of the actually important stuff (like school portfolios).
It gets worse.
At this point, the battery on my calculator has likely died. Heck, there’s no “likely” about it. I would be very very surprised if it hadn’t three months ago. What this means is that the only hope for recovering the three or four projects I had unarchived (which will most certainly have been wiped after this long due to how the CE’s power system is designed iirc) would be to utilize DrDnar’s black-magic undelete.

Thank you, DrDnar.

Now I just need to FIND the darn thing.

(For once, I actually need it for math... Big oof.)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours