souvik1997 wrote:
Your calc was stolen by teachers?
Aye. Mostly because I'd be coding all class long. I had it in their custody quite a bit. It came to the point that I couldn't take it school when I didn't have math Surprised
Assembly is definitely a step up from basic, which is no surprise based on the quality of some of the finest out there, with neat graphics and all that.

My first ASM game was a simple PONG game, then a crappy RPG game. Then I moved on to more complicated things, such as using publicly released source code and manipulating it to make a custom version of things. So basically I've spent a lot more time on Basic than ASM, but I may want to try out this new language called AXE, supposedly its not an official language but the quality of the games/programs it delivers is superb.
Sorry for any confusion! Apparantly you are good after all... Wink

Anyway, AXE is tons of fun, and you should have lots of fun in it. Wink
No, its still my fault for stealing stuff from other users, but yea, I'm looking forward to having fun with AXE Very Happy
Hyped wrote:
Assembly is definitely a step up from basic, which is no surprise based on the quality of some of the finest out there, with neat graphics and all that.

My first ASM game was a simple PONG game, then a crappy RPG game. Then I moved on to more complicated things, such as using publicly released source code and manipulating it to make a custom version of things. So basically I've spent a lot more time on Basic than ASM, but I may want to try out this new language called AXE, supposedly its not an official language but the quality of the games/programs it delivers is superb.
'Tis indeed very impressive, although personally I think, at least from my own very biased perspective, that it's better to learn a lower-level language like ASM before something mid-level like Axe so you could code the most efficient possible Axe programs and games. If you don't have at least a vague understanding of the underlying mechanisms that Axe is employing, I worry about code bloat, although many props to Quigibo for making something that seems very powerful at producing small, fast programs.

If you have any interesting in it, I'd recommend that you take a look at the Doors CS wiki once you install Doors CS 7.0, especially the SDK that details all the features and libraries that Doors CS 7.0 has for both BASIC and ASM coders, like the Associated Program system, the GUI API, CIII/xLib/PicArc/Omnicalc/DCSB Libs, and much more. Smile
Wow, double-post much, Kerm? (previous page) Razz

ANyway to back up Kerm's statement about being OK if you don't know ASM well, I don't know it at all, or close. I tried learning 3 times so far, to not avail. Now that I know what are pointers and how stuff is stored in the RAM, maybe it will make my future learning attempts easier, though. Smile
Hmm...seems right.

Axe does run super fast compared to the native language of z80...

I guess I need to go try making an ASM program out of pure memory from like 5 months ago and see how I do, I'll post it in the projects section once I'm done. ASM code and compiled version.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
Wow, double-post much, Kerm? (previous page) Razz
Yeah, I figured CDI's long post deserved a through response, and I figured someone would probably post before I finished. I was wrong. Smile

DJ Omnimaga wrote:
ANyway to back up Kerm's statement about being OK if you don't know ASM well, I don't know it at all, or close. I tried learning 3 times so far, to not avail. Now that I know what are pointers and how stuff is stored in the RAM, maybe it will make my future learning attempts easier, though. Smile
Definitely will make it easier, imho. Do you agree that a vague knowledge of ASM gave you more of an insight into Axe, or not particularly?

Hyped wrote:
I guess I need to go try making an ASM program out of pure memory from like 5 months ago and see how I do, I'll post it in the projects section once I'm done. ASM code and compiled version.
Better yet, post about it before it's done, and let us help you figure out any bugs or stumbling blocks that you run across. No sense doing what I end up doing with Doors CS code and banging your head against a wall when there's other people available to lend a second, third, and tenth set of eyes. Smile
For me it was the opposite. I didn't know anything about ASM when I learned Axe. Pointers took me a few weeks to understand at 100%, though. I think it depends of people, really.
I do wish we could come up with a better name for the programming language built into the calculator. TI haven't given it a name, and it's nothing like BASIC (especially nothing like TI BASIC, which does exist). You may as well call it TI-Fortran or TI-Pascal and it would be about as accurate a name as TI-BASIC. Razz
Where did this name originate, for that matter?
Sorry, this has always bothered me somewhat.
benryves wrote:
I do wish we could come up with a better name for the programming language built into the calculator. TI haven't given it a name, and it's nothing like BASIC (especially nothing like TI BASIC, which does exist). You may as well call it TI-Fortran or TI-Pascal and it would be about as accurate a name as TI-BASIC. Razz

Because while it may not be anything like BASIC as we know it, it is still a Beginners All-Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code Smile
Looking at DJ's thread on Axe on his forum, it looks as if Axe will be easier if you have profound knowledge of Basic z80...though I may be wrong..
CDI wrote:
benryves wrote:

Because while it may not be anything like BASIC as we know it, it is still a Beginners All-Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code Smile
Point taken. Very Happy OK, I can live with that, I suppose.
Benryves, didn't TI start calling it TI-BASIC? I'll look back through some old Guidebooks and see what they call it.
Kerm, your noobpunch just cheered me up. [/offtopic]
Way to go. Smile
Raylin wrote:
Kerm, your noobpunch just cheered me up. [/offtopic]
Way to go. Smile
Thanks, gotta stand up for our rights every once in a while. Raylin, would you care to introduce yourself while I compose my own introduction? Smile
I did though? o.o
Oh god no. Not more BASIC programs.
Raylin wrote:
I did though? o.o
I know, I was trying to stall for time. Wink It was a joke, although unfortunately a pretty poor one.

So most of you know me, I think, as Kerm Martian, or Christopher Mitchell, or some combination thereof. I just graduated with my Bachelors and Masters of Engineering in Electrical Engineering after five years, and am beginning my PhD studies in Computer Science. I first started programming graphing calculators with school-owned TI-82s in my advanced math class in sixth grade; I got my first TI-83 for Christmas in seventh grade. I taught myself TI-BASIC by trial and error (I had learned LOGO in first grade and taught myself QBASIC from books around fourth grade) through seventh and eighth grade, and in eighth grade also learned x86 assembly from the sysadmin at my school, who was very much a product of the computer revolution of the 70s and 80s. Throughout high school I wrote BASIC and started dipping my toes into the waters of z80 ASM, plus learning lots of other programming, scripting, and markup languages. I started Cemetech as a website in eighth grade, although the idea of "CTech," a company to market my many gadgets and inventions that I had come up with through my childhood, had begun when I was five or six. Cemetech moved to Geocities in high school, to Jatol when I started college, and now to SurpassHosting two and a half years ago when Jatol vanished. I continue to keep myself enthusiastically in the calculator scene, although I know code in C, C++, code and teach Java, write HTML, XML, PHP, Perl, several database query languages including MySQL, Python, Windows shell scripting and bash shell scripting, a tiny bit of C#, Javascript, TI-BASIC in all its various non-Nspire flavors, z80 assembly, x86 assembly, lots of flavors of PC BASIC, and assorted other languages that I've picked up along my travels. You can more often than not find me here on Cemetech, or SAX, or connected to ten different chat media. Since I'm an electrical engineer (and a certified Engineering in Training, having passed the requisite state exam, as a matter of fact), I also love tinkering with electronics and gadgets, and have built lots of prototypes and project, many of which have been published here. I love sharing my knowledge with other, helping others learn, and learning new things along the way.
@allynfolksjr: I make BASIC programs. >:c

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 148
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours