Well now, 'bout time for an update! No screenies this time, don't wanna give the whole game away.

Start with the good:
As of now, I have 10 rooms drawn AND scripted on-calc. This means everything that you can click on has code already. Also, the first "puzzle" is completed, even though it is very simple. All it is is an item that needs to be found and put in the right place.

Also completed another room on-calc, but haven't coded interactions yet.

And now not-so-good news:
The program size is around 8000 bytes now, so according to my math, only 20 rooms will already be over my initial estimate of program size.

So what do you think, fewer rooms to save size and add speed, or more rooms for more gameplay but slower?
More rooms, more gameplay, but slower! Better yet, divide it up into two programs, one for the first half of the rooms, the second for the second half of the rooms. Then use the XLib/DCS unarc to temporary program tools to copy one of the two to RAM, depending on where the user is ingame.
KermMartian wrote:
More rooms, more gameplay, but slower! Better yet, divide it up into two programs, one for the first half of the rooms, the second for the second half of the rooms. Then use the XLib/DCS unarc to temporary program tools to copy one of the two to RAM, depending on where the user is ingame.

Awesome idea, I could totally do that! I guess if I have enough time, I will still try for 30 rooms!
Here's the reference for the function, by the way:
http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=BasicLibs:ExecArcPrgm
Update yet again! This game is coming along swimingly.

Once again, this screenshot is a lot slower then on-calc, by as much as twice!
This is showing going between some rooms and interacting with a door.

As of now, all my rooms drawn on my calculator have interactions, woohoo!
Now I have to draw some more! Very Happy

The games first major puzzle is also complete!
Took awhile, I optimized it to about half the puzzle's original size.
(Note that whenever I say puzzle I mean riddle, activity, or anything alike that
makes you use your brain.)

I am proud to say that the game is at the halfway mark for what I have planned!
Size is now nearing 10,000 bytes! D:

I plan to have 2 more updates, when the game is 3/4 done and when it is finished.

If you have any question about the game, post 'em! I would be more then glad to
answer.
You have exactly ten days left to go then, xxEpicxxxxFailxx, so good luck! I'll be working on the runner-up prizes this evening, and I hope to post a news article on Sunday reminding everyone that there's a week to go.
Sweet, Ima work my hardest 'till then. I promise I at least won't get last place!
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
Sweet, Ima work my hardest 'till then. I promise I at least won't get last place!
We'll see about that. Very Happy When you say puzzle/riddle/brain-teaser, what do you mean? Can you give specific examples, or are you waiting to release more information (along with the actual program, of course) until after the contest?
KermMartian wrote:
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
We'll see about that. Very Happy When you say puzzle/riddle/brain-teaser, what do you mean? Can you give specific examples, or are you waiting to release more information (along with the actual program, of course) until after the contest?

I will release some info, but not a lot.

The first puzzle is really just finding an item, and figuring out where to use it.

The more advanced puzzle involves a riddle that tells you what notes to press on a piano!

Future puzzle is set to have buttons that change paths and you must get the right combination.

Does this answer your question?
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:

I will release some info, but not a lot.

The first puzzle is really just finding an item, and figuring out where to use it.

The more advanced puzzle involves a riddle that tells you what notes to press on a piano!

Future puzzle is set to have buttons that change paths and you must get the right combination.

Does this answer your question?
That does indeed answer my question, hopefully without giving too much away. Sounds like tons of fun! Smile
The game is around 75% finished, and I said I would update around that time.
The opening, the middle, and the end are completed, fully drawn and scripted.

Another major puzzle was added, it involves paintings. Wink
The only things left to implement are a few rooms right after the opening cutscene, one more simple item puzzle, and the closing cutscene.

Since my friend and I split the graphics work to save time, I'm just waiting for his half to finish, then I can get to working on save/load and bug testing.
Post some comments, questions, etc....

Edit: Saving and loading is complete in only 200 bytes, pretty good for my skills.
Ooooh, painting! I am curious to see how that is implemented. Also cheers for saving and loading in 200 bytes. So does this mean that you're on track to finish everything by the deadline without having to cut corners? Did you end up having to divide the map rendering into two programs as we discussed?
KermMartian wrote:
Ooooh, painting! I am curious to see how that is implemented. Also cheers for saving and loading in 200 bytes. So does this mean that you're on track to finish everything by the deadline without having to cut corners? Did you end up having to divide the map rendering into two programs as we discussed?

Oh sorry, word fail. I meant "artwork" as in pictures. Sorry no painting. D: But that is a good idea. I am not cutting corners, as I am ahead of schedule, but the overall course has changed, since I am in light of new ideas. I think the room number will be a little under 30, but a new puzzle will be added to compensate.

Yeah, all new artwork goes into a separate program, thanks for that idea.
Ah, my pleasure, happy to make the suggestion. I'm also happy to hear that you didn't have to cut any corners, and it's always nice when your planning or gameplay goes in a new direction because of good ideas, rather than sticking with your original idea just for the sake of consistency or even stubbornness.
I hear ya. News from my friend, he has 3 more images complete, now to start on them.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
I hear ya. News from my friend, he has 3 more images complete, now to start on them.
How many images does that leave still to be made? Also, a question occurred to me: Have you and your friend discussed what you'll be doing if you win a prize or runner-up position? I'm not saying you will or will not, just throwing out a potentially awkward situation. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
How many images does that leave still to be made? Also, a question occurred to me: Have you and your friend discussed what you'll be doing if you win a prize or runner-up position? I'm not saying you will or will not, just throwing out a potentially awkward situation. Smile

About 3 more images left and one more puzzle to be made plus the ending cutscene, which could take more.

As for a prize, my friend told me I could have it if we win, because I have done the most work. He seems fine with that fact. Very Happy
That's fair; I'm glad that you guys discussed it. Smile I need to remember to write and post the article about the one-week warning for the contest deadline this morning or afternoon...
Yuppers, the game is complete, and sent in to Kerm. I am still testing extensively to find any bugs I missed. Wish me luck.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours