I know Digitan is well versed in on-calc slope physics Wink
elfprince13 wrote:
I know Digitan is well versed in on-calc slope physics Wink
Indeed, but I get to simplify it by only dealing with the eight cardinal directions. Thus I avoid any trig altogether. I'm not particularly concerned for the difficulty of the coding; I'm just too busy to actually get to it. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
[...]because it's a fun project to occupy my otherwise empty time. I am utterly, completely incapable to doing nothing, because I get this irrational anxiety that there's something I should be working on.

KermMartian wrote:
I'm not particularly concerned for the difficulty of the coding; I'm just too busy to actually get to it.

So... you're too busy to work on a project that was started due to your lack of busy-ness?
Aye, because my missing parts arrived, and thus I have a ton of stuff to do on my research. I warned you guys that progress on this would be sporadic if at all, so don't try to pressure me into working on ti.
Hey, you do your own thing. I'm not trying to pressure you. Just making fun of you. Smile

Haha, jk. It's only out of jealousy. You're one of my heroes. Kllrnohj is the other. If I had half the electronics knowledge/programming ability as you guys, I'd be a very happy person.
I know, that post sounded more serious than it actually was. I did some preliminary frameworking on slopes in between work today, so I'll have to play a bit of N-Game soon and work out exactly how slopes above and below the player affect velocity and acceleration.
Sounds good. Are you [planning on] using any DCS routines in it?
foamy3 wrote:
Sounds good. Are you [planning on] using any DCS routines in it?
Definitely, for things like opening level packs. However, I'm probably going to try to limit DCS library use somewhat to make it easier for myself to make a less-function-filled Ion/MOS port.
cool!
can't wait!
but just a question out of curiosity, all these posts are from 2008?

oh well lol

EDIT:
ya... nm... answered that question myself... (saw the date of this post Razz)
WhiteValkery wrote:
cool!
can't wait!
but just a question out of curiosity, all these posts are from 2008?

oh well 0x5

EDIT:
ya... nm... answered that question myself... (saw the date of this post Razz)
Yup, but I definitely would like to pick this and CALCnet up this fall and get them completed. Just to bump the most recent screenshot:

Wow, that looks really awesome. Not sure how I missed it Razz Can't wait to see it finished Very Happy Good luck
_player1537 wrote:
Wow, that looks really awesome. Not sure how I missed it Razz Can't wait to see it finished Very Happy Good luck
I'll need a lot of suggestions, though. A 96x64 screen with 8x8 sprites feels really cramped for a single level; I either need to switch to smaller sprites or a smooth-scrolling map. I have a few ideas on the latter, which I think has the potential to look really cool. I also need to come up with some kind of novel gameplay mechanic.
KermMartian wrote:
_player1537 wrote:
I'll need a lot of suggestions, though. A 96x64 screen with 8x8 sprites feels really cramped for a single level; I either need to switch to smaller sprites or a smooth-scrolling map. I have a few ideas on the latter, which I think has the potential to look really cool. I also need to come up with some kind of novel gameplay mechanic.
I belive the word you are looking for there "gimmick." Razz
TheStorm wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
_player1537 wrote:
I belive the word you are looking for there "gimic." Razz

I believe the word you are looking for there is "gimmick" Razz

Edit: Indeed it is, nice catch Calc84maniac - TheStorm
A gimmick indeed. The N-Game concept works amazingly on computers, but I feel like for lack of as sensitive and nuanced controls as a computer, I'd need to add either some kind of simplified enemy system that was different than N-Game's enemy system, or something new entirely.
smooth scroll would probably be best.... since the screen is pretty small...
:/
WhiteValkery wrote:
smooth scroll would probably be best.... since the screen is pretty small...
:/
That's my favorite solution too, to avoid having to cut down on sprite detail. 8x8 is bad enough as it is.
Control idea;

Up & Down - Y Movement (Down to fall faster)
Left & Right - X Movement"

IDEA NUMBER ONE

To Aim+shoot, you need to first press "2nd" to enter the Aim mode, Then you press 2 more keys to fire in the chosen direction, You will fire in that direction after you press the second key.
    180  +   0/360
"Left" + "Left" = 180 degrees
"Left" + "Right" = 270 degrees
"Left" + "Up" = 135 degrees
"Left" + "Down" = 225 degrees
"Left" + "2nd" = 180 degrees
"Right" + "Right" = 0 degrees
"Right" + "Up" = 45 degrees
"Right" + "Down" = 315 degrees
"Right" + "Left" = 90 degrees
"Right" + "2nd" = 0 degrees
"Down" + "Left" = 225 degrees
"Down" + "Right" = 270 degrees
"Down" + "Up" = 180 degrees
"Down" + "Down" = 270 degrees
"Down" + "2nd" = 270
"Up" + "Left" = 135 degrees
"Up" + "Right" = 45 degrees
"Up" + "Up" = 90 degrees
"Up" + "Down" = 0 degrees
"Up" + "2nd" = 90 degrees

IDEA NUMBER TWO
Like the number pad system, this one will involve pressing a single key to aim/fire. it is the same thing but it is moved up to the 2nd, mode, del, alpha, x,t,o,n, stat, math, apps, prgm. To exit, pause, access options, use the y=, window, zoom, trace, or graph buttons

Thoughts?
Seems like a pretty cool idea! What would this be for shooting, exactly, portal-type things? I guess I am going to need some kind of more advanced gameplay mechanics like weapons or something to make this a full game, and your idea definitely shows promise. You feel that your ideas are better than the number pad system are that they both allow more precision than the number pad system?
Yeah, this was meant for the portal gun that someone brought up earlier in the thread.

The number pad system is awkward, i have geometry wars for the calc, which uses the number pad system to fire, idea number two would be better then the number pad one because the placement of the button's are closer together up and down, and your hands a parallel, much like in the playstation controller, nintendo ds, and nes controllers.

I would like to add that (because i just saw the calcnet 2.2 vid XD) More then one player in the m-game? also, 80 fps is great but it isn't noticeable to lose a few, like down to 50 fps. human eyes can only see so much. like if a feature to the game will dampen the fps, it isn't at a noticeable loss

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours