Mini USB or regular USB?
Mini USB
 100%  [ 1 ]
Regular USB
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

As the title says: Mini USB or regular USB?

Vote in the above poll. Smile
I need an option for both. I think it definitely needs to be able to act as a USB slave device, in order to have files transferred to it by a computer, but I think it would be great if it could also act as a USB host. I don't know how feasible both a mini-USB for acting as a slave and a regular USB A Female hack for acting as a USB host would be, though.
Note: Exiles from IRC said: Mini USB
KermMartian wrote:
I need an option for both. I think it definitely needs to be able to act as a USB slave device, in order to have files transferred to it by a computer, but I think it would be great if it could also act as a USB host. I don't know how feasible both a mini-USB for acting as a slave and a regular USB A Female hack for acting as a USB host would be, though.

Hmm.... depends. The USB thing itself could be OTG, slave, or host.
And of course, it depends on if the USB controller can support it or not.
Absolutely. We definitely should be using an actual USB controller chip rather than having to deal with it in software. Have you spec'ed out any possible chips yet?
KermMartian wrote:
Absolutely. We definitely should be using an actual USB controller chip rather than having to deal with it in software. Have you spec'ed out any possible chips yet?

Not really, I'm not the expert at finding those things. Wink Maybe you could help? Very Happy

(I did spot some random chips here and there, like this one: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NXP-Semiconductors/LPC2468FET208551/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvu0Nwh4cA1wUhXb1nJ/fVjQ/76fCdrkTA%3d - but I'd rather have a dedicated chip instead of another ARM core inside. Heck, this looks to be the chip calc84 was suggesting.)
Aye, it does indeed. If I get a few free minutes tomorrow I'd be more than happy to do a bit of research on popular, cheap, and well-document USB controllers, particularly those that support USB OTG for both host and slave mode. I'll look into slave-only and host-only chips if I don't find feasible combined options.
That's all folks! Smile Voting is now closed, and votes will now be tallied.
The final feature list will be announced soon, so stay tuned.

Thanks to everyone who voted! Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours