The SDK assembler tools and documentation...
will be very useful to me.
 47%  [ 9 ]
will be something I occasionally use/consult.
 52%  [ 10 ]
are of no use to me.
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 19

Doors CS 7.0 is due for release by September 1st, 2010, so a month in advance, here is the Software Developers' Kit or SDK. Besides an exhaustive, 124-page summary of all the features and routines that Doors CS 7 offers to BASIC and ASM programmers, this SDK contains a full toolchain to compile and build z80 ASM source code into .8xp files, all the necessary tools and include files, and additional programs to simplify writing headers for BASIC programs. If you are interested in developing for Doors CS or even learning about what it offers to programmers, this SDK is a must-have.

I spent the last week or two working on this, but the compilation tools inside are the ones I have been using to develop programs over the past five years with great success. I've used it under a variety of platforms, and I think it will work to make ASM development a lot easier for newcomers to the community or to the language. In addition, the extremely detailed documentation on Doors CS' ASM and BASIC features should make it simple to find any information for which a developer may be searching. I look forward to many DCS programs being written soon, and I hope some of them will merit features here (besides of course being valuable entries in the upcoming contest!

Download
Doors CS 7 SDK

Kerm, epic stuff, this will be very very useful to me!
qazz42 wrote:
Kerm, epic stuff, this will be very very useful to me!
I'm very glad to hear it, and I hope you find the toolchain relatively easy to use. I tried to make it as straightforward as possible, so you can be one of my guinea pigs. Smile
Hmm, if you drag the source code on compile.bat, brass explodes on you, so youm ust use the Command Prompt, other than that, everything else is realitivly simple
qazz42 wrote:
Hmm, if you drag the source code on compile.bat, brass explodes on you, so youm ust use the Command Prompt, other than that, everything else is realitivly simple
Well, I didn't design it for drag-and-drop since the source code files are generally in a different directory than the compile script and the compilation tools, so that explains why that doesn't work. Very Happy Glad to hear that it's relatively simple, and I hope it created proper .8xp's with no adjustments necessary?
Yep, it works fine!
qazz42 wrote:
Yep, it works fine!
Very happy to hear it. Now you can make mobileTunes 3 songs to your heart's content. Very Happy
Yay! It was annoying having to constantly type 2 lines each time.. not only one, and it is simple to do considering I named the complier.bat, a.bat

Now, a mick roll

you can also just leave the terminal open, and press up-enter every time you want to reassemble the same thing. You can also make a new batch file, for example docde7.bat, containing "compile docde7", then just run docde7 at your command prompt.
Oh, I can? I didnt know that....
a
qazz42 wrote:
Oh, I can? I didnt know that....
a
Exactly, you could even make it a one-letter command, although that might get confusing over time.

Did anyone get a chance to read over the SDK? I printed myself out a copy and am bringing it to Kinko's this afternoon on my way to return some books. I'll post a picture when it's done. Very Happy
*bump* A bound SDK! Laser-printed in color, bound at -K-i-n-k-o-'-s- FedexOffice with a velo bind, black plastic back, clear plastic front. Look and feels quite pro in person.

Shipping these out with every download of Doors CS7 Very Happy
Or do we have to pay extra for a neatly bound document at our own Kinkos?
comicIDIOT wrote:
Shipping these out with every download of Doors CS7 Very Happy
Or do we have to pay extra for a neatly bound document at our own Kinkos?
The latter, I'm afraid, although if the winners of the contest are very, very nice to me I may ship them their own copy. Very Happy
You got it printed before I finished proof reading! Sad I only made it through page 17 before I had to go help install a ceiling in the freezer room, but I found a few improvements to be made.

proofing - page 14: catched should be caught
the Using XLib and Celtic functions paragraph needs heavy duty rewriting.

- page 16: what not to do "You may be able to abuse Celtic III into performing the actions you desire, but neither I nor Iambian are responsible if it crashes because you used incorrect arguments.

- page 17: "such as those for manipulating a stack of Ans variables; performing collision detection; working with text; and creating quick, attractive menus." Get rid of the first comma in "For information about the GUI stack functions" sentence.
elfprince13 wrote:
You got it printed before I finished proof reading! Sad I only made it through page 17 before I had to go help install a ceiling in the freezer room, but I found a few improvements to be made.

proofing - page 14: catched should be caught
the Using XLib and Celtic functions paragraph needs heavy duty rewriting.

- page 16: what not to do "You may be able to abuse Celtic III into performing the actions you desire, but neither I nor Iambian are responsible if it crashes because you used incorrect arguments.

- page 17: "such as those for manipulating a stack of Ans variables; performing collision detection; working with text; and creating quick, attractive menus." Get rid of the first comma in "For information about the GUI stack functions" sentence.
Duly noted, and corrections made. Keep in mind that much of that was ruthlessly ripped from the Celtic III readme, and that it was also 3am when I finished the SDK. Smile I also think there way be an elusive issue with BinPac8x and Python 3.x; I'm working on verifying it.
Here are my bound SDKs. I got the first page printed on the cover, so it looks and feels really professionally done. It's better done than some of the text books I used at college (specifically, the ones the professors wrote themselves and got bound at Denison's printer services) Wink

Whoa, those look awesome, Merth! What kind of binding is that?
KermMartian wrote:
Whoa, those look awesome, Merth! What kind of binding is that?
It's called a "cover bind" or something like that. I got it done at Staples. It's like a softcover book, actually. It's pretty ace. Anyone want one? Staples has my order for three months, so I can make more!
how much did those cost you guys to get done?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours