Very Happy Ideally both, but cost before performance. I'd like definitely WiFi, 512 RAM, 30GB HD, and a Pentium 4 or AMD processor.
30gb Surprised ?? y so small
Well, I have an external 30GB USB HD I can use for long-term storage. I don't have a lot of storage needs...
i got a 120 trititioned and have 11 left on c like 20 on e and 1 free on my f, but thats because of 19.1gb of temporary storage for a friend, i can delete that now. but ofcourse ur only music is midi, so that dont take much space Razz Razz
@Kerm: i'd recommend a laptop with a Pentium M (2ghz PM or so) - cheaper, still has good performance, and much better battery life

@guy asking about upgrades: Why do you like MSI so much? i just get a mobo with the best chipset and the features i want, and the best bundle. Asus and Abit make good boards, but the chipsets one of the most important aspects. (hehe, i have an MSI board - its OK)
im gonna buy the best on the market, and msi and asus r the best, if u havent noticed im runnin msi right now, and i like msi, ive had no problems what so ever. u love to complain about stuff dont you, its my mone, ill buy the board that i feel is the best, my friend runs an asus a8n sli and its al right my cuz rus a msi k8neo platinum the only main diff is the sli, thats wut im stuck on, should i do sli or not? i have a $100sumthin graphics card now that runs perfect, but if i switch to an sli board ill have to get an nvidea pcie16 card and loose the agp ati
Okay, here's my suggestion for the best bang-for-buck ratio:

If you're running Linux, ditch ATI and go for Nvidia; you'll thank me later.
If you're running Windows, keep the ATI card.
I suggest not to go for SLI because that's way too expensive for anyone Wink

gigaram 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM System Memory - Retail - $86.95
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor - Retail - $146
CHAINTECH S1689 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail - $69

Now theoretically you should be able to upgrade to an Athlon X2 when the price goes down without having to buy a new board, and with this setup you can keep your old video card.

If overclocking:

COOLMAX 12100 RAM Heatsink, Black - Retail

If money is no object:

Build a DMX 2005!
that chaintech mobo is too cheap for comfort, lol, also AMD doesn't support DDR2 (yet), so the gigaram 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM is a no-go

anyway, you should still get an SLi motherboard, as you never know what the future will bring (maybe that new physics card will use x16 PCI-E?), and the nforce 4 SLi has a performance improvement over the "vanilla" nforce 4

Dump the AGP card, and get a PCI-E something. Be it a 6800GT, 6600GT, X800XL, whatever. Unless, of course, you find an SLi mobo that supports AGP, then keep it.

If you're going to overclock, the DFI Lanparty mobo's can hit insane FSB speeds, you might want to look at that.

Like i said before tho, i'd still wait for the new M2 socket w/ DDR2 support, so that you won't be forced to upgrade everything again in a couple years or so

Quote:
If money is no object:

Build a DMX 2005!

LoL, only need what, $12,000 plus special creative labs contacts to get a pre-realease sound card?
Quote:

that chaintech mobo is too cheap for comfort, lol, also AMD doesn't support DDR2 (yet), so the gigaram 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM is a no-go

Opps Rolling Eyes Okay, here's a better solution:

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

Quote:
anyway, you should still get an SLi motherboard, as you never know what the future will bring (maybe that new physics card will use x16 PCI-E?), and the nforce 4 SLi has a performance improvement over the "vanilla" nforce 4

Dump the AGP card, and get a PCI-E something. Be it a 6800GT, 6600GT, X800XL, whatever. Unless, of course, you find an SLi mobo that supports AGP, then keep it.

If you're going to overclock, the DFI Lanparty mobo's can hit insane FSB speeds, you might want to look at that.

Like i said before tho, i'd still wait for the new M2 socket w/ DDR2 support, so that you won't be forced to upgrade everything again in a couple years or so

Only problem is, he doesn't have that kind of money Razz
SLi mobo only adds about $40 (comparing good motherboards, not that budget crap)
But having to replace the video card is going to be $150.
there are some SLi motherboards with AGP if he's really desperate to keep his card (i'm pretty sure there are anyway - between the two x16 slots)
Kllrnohj wrote:
@Kerm: i'd recommend a laptop with a Pentium M (2ghz PM or so) - cheaper, still has good performance, and much better battery life

@guy asking about upgrades: Why do you like MSI so much? i just get a mobo with the best chipset and the features i want, and the best bundle. Asus and Abit make good boards, but the chipsets one of the most important aspects. (hehe, i have an MSI board - its OK)

How about an Athlon 64 or Turino 64 @ 2GHz?
thats fine to, but you won't have as good of battery life and will put out more heat, so i'd base it on price or personal preference (like do you want 64bit and NX virus protection - for a64, or not - for pM)
How's this?

Code:
Scroll down to see your customized pc order below. 
  price  $1,143.00 *
  instant savings − $100.00
  mail-in rebate − $50.00 

price after rebate $993.00   
  you saved 13.1% 

as low as $31/mo+
12 months no payments. Apply now. 

Estimated build date:
August 24, 2005
Accessories and add-ons are in stock and ship immediately

Click "edit" to modify your customized pc order.

Operating System Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition with SP2        edit   
Processor AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3200+ (2.0GHz/512KB L2 Cache)        edit   
Display 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x800)        edit   
Graphics Card 128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory(TM)        edit   
Memory 1.0GB DDR SDRAM (2x512MB)        edit   
Hard Drive 60 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive        edit   
Primary CD/DVD Drive DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive        edit   
Networking FREE Upgrade to 54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/125HSM!!        edit   
Primary Battery 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery        edit   
Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Works/Money        edit 

Edit: This looks pretty cool too:
http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_Pavilion_dv4000/4505-3121_7-31394072.html
looks fine, but 15.4 sounds small.....maybe look for a 17incher?
anyone know of a good tablet PC maker?
the thing is, i have a perfectly good $150 vid card, its 1 of the best out there, i wish i could keep it, that way i dont have to go buy a new 1 right away, but i guess i could keep usin this comp, until i could get a new card, but id rather not have to
you can keep your card, some mobo's include an AGP slot along with PCI-E x16, oh, and what card is it?
ati radeon 9600xt, and ive never seen a decent board to have both

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 8 of 10
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours