Why do we still use Torque, its expensive, closed source, and buggy Neutral

we could use other engines like "Irrlicht" or the "cube 2" engine, theirs a list of open source engines here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines
Because we are already using it, we have code that works for Torque already, and people know how to code and make addons and whatnot for it. Granted, it's not the best engine for a sandbox game, and we considered switching engines in the beginning, but we decided against it due to the amount of work it would entail.
CyberPrime wrote:
Because we are already using it, we have code that works for Torque already, and people know how to code and make addons and whatnot for it. Granted, it's not the best engine for a sandbox game, and we considered switching engines in the beginning, but we decided against it due to the amount of work it would entail.
Would it also be fair to say that it's not the worst engine for a sandbox game, since it has a fair bit of code for object propagation and doesn't have ginormous amounts of overhead for its own management?
Just a quick break from the subject, under freeware engines, the first one is Adventure Game Studio, my first programming experience with scripts similar to c++, it's what got me interested in coding and eventually to this site when I got a calc.
Any reason that when I visited this topic, my norton would not let me on because it claimed there was a fatal virus?
qazz42 wrote:
Any reason that when I visited this topic, my norton would not let me on because it claimed there was a fatal virus?

Me too! I thought it was just a bug...
KermMartian wrote:
CyberPrime wrote:
Would it also be fair to say that it's not the worst engine for a sandbox game, since it has a fair bit of code for object propagation and doesn't have ginormous amounts of overhead for its own management?

It's actually great for a sandbox game, in that it has award winning networking code designed for minimal latency and bandwidth. The graphics code needs to be re-written, and bricks need to not be based on shapebase, but it fits most of our needs nicely.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
qazz42 wrote:

Me too! I thought it was just a bug...
dark9771 is using an avatar from an unsafe site (iconator.com). Kerm, can you please disable his avatar and notify him of this?
How is it unsafe?
Win, Chrome warned me this was an unsafe page due to a file from iconator.

As for it's unsafeness, likely icons downloaded are accompanied with malicious software.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Win, Chrome warned me this was an unsafe page due to a file from iconator.

As for it's unsafeness, likely icons downloaded are accompanied with malicious software.
I disabled his avatar.
Thanks you, now I can get on this without that protection
Returning to the topic at hand, does anyone else have thoughts on Torque vs. other engines?
KermMartian wrote:
Returning to the topic at hand, does anyone else have thoughts on Torque vs. other engines?
Torque v Unreal. Unreal would be an epic engine in FB...
comicIDIOT wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Unreal would certainly be an epic engine for it, but as Elfprince astutely noted, it doesn't have anything like Torque's infrastructure for propagating object information among clients (only something hackish related to projectiles and players, I would assume from a naive, uneducated standpoint).
comicIDIOT wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

No, in terms of engine requirements, I think something like the engine for EVE would be much better suited. In terms of licensing a nice FPS-friendly engine, I'd be much likely to get a good arrangement with UnknownWorlds or Wolfire for their hawt engine tech. They are both indie game studios who I've financially supported by preordering their in-dev games, and Wolfire in particular has a history of openness and a beautiful engine.

That said, I don't really plan on switching engines any time soon.
That's fair and very understandable, given how long we've been working with the Torque engine and how much we know about it relative to other engines.
Sry for the Avatar, Unreal just dosent work, Ive tried using it, its just stupid Mad
dark9771 wrote:
Sry for the Avatar, Unreal just dosent work, Ive tried using it, its just stupid Mad
You mean you've tried to code using the Unreal engine, or you've tried playing Unreal Tournament?
KermMartian wrote:
u mean you've tried to code using the Unreal engine, or you've tried playing Unreal Tournament?

Ive tried making maps, importing models, and started coding

for models it took me 7 days to find a converter to the unreal format, and it meased up the textures, and the colision detection for the models didnt work, it crashed every 5 min, and the lighting isnt in realtime Sad

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours