Perhaps there can be a command prompt for DCS, I mean, it is possible, kinda like how Windows has a command prompt.

Discuss.
As an SE, maybe. But I must admit that I don't really see it's usefulness.
Yeah, I was thinking, as an SE.

As for usefulness, well, some people might be used to the DOS or linux, so having a Command prompt for DCS would make the calc feel just like home Razz
to me it would only make it looks cooler, which is kinda useless.
Mildly amusing concept. Smile
Definitely more of a novelty than anything else, but I'd download it if somebody made a working version.
Well, like I said, some might perfer DOS-like interfaces, so, yeah, it could be useful.
Best. Idea. Yet.

Well maybe not, but I still think its a fairly decent. I, too, shall download this if anybody ever makes it, or if I ever learn Assembly, I'll try to get to it.
There have been attempts, but all in basic, and they didnt do much, the great Kerm can probably make a simple cammand line interface, in asm, that can do stuff. XD
qazz42 wrote:
There have been attempts, but all in basic, and they didnt do much, the great Kerm can probably make a simple cammand line interface, in asm, that can do stuff. XD

and with small tiny font with a windows command prompt designs on the window would make it look awesome!
Hmm, if this idea gets placed in DCS, it will be a shell within a shell XD
Basic can't really be successful for a few reasons, but I have a mini features request list:
If it's a separate program, full-screen, fixed-width small font (no GUI at all). If it's an SE, well, I don't really see how it could be an SE Razz
Built-in support for most common commands, including ls, dir, cd, cp, copy, mov, and rename. (Both unix and windows).
Support for running programs, unix and windows style.
Well, one guy used omnicalc, that had a few more features then the rest
Heres a few Calc-Specific ones I would add:

Chk (Checks Size (Bytes) of Item)

Code:
Chk RAM
 Available: 12002 Bytes
 In Use: 5783 Bytes
 System: 624 Bytes

Link (Opens A Link To Another Calc/Comp)

Code:
Link Calc
 Testing Link...
 84+ SE? (Y/N): Y
 Linking With 84+ SE...
 Linked With 84+ SE

ErrChk (Error Checker)

Code:
ErrChk A.8xp
 Syntax Error: Line(s) 2,3,97
 BASIC Error: Line(s) 1,8,14
 DCS Spec. Error: Lines(s) 1,19, 28

Those are just suggestions, but feel free to use/not use them Razz.
Error checking would probably be a bit much, but I could see the others, albeit slightly modified.
chk can just be chkram, because there are other ways to view file sizes (like with dir/ls). I'm not sure what you mean by link, but I can see a version that takes a list of files and sends them. (like 'link -s A mydir/level mario/mario' and 'link -r' to receive)
calcdude84se wrote:
Error checking would probably be a bit much, but I could see the others, albeit slightly modified.
chk can just be chkram, because there are other ways to view file sizes (like with dir/ls). I'm not sure what you mean by link, but I can see a version that takes a list of files and sends them. (like 'link -s A mydir/level mario/mario' and 'link -r' to receive)

Yeahh ErrChk does seem a bit much, but it would be nice.

ChkRam does seem to work better.

Link could be done like that, so controls would be
Link
-s (send)
-r (receive)
and for programs do Prgm A/Prgm B/Prgm C?

Sounds a little simpilar than what I had in mind hahah.[/code]
I was suggesting not prefixing or suffixing program names at all.
Also, -s and -r would be on the same line as link (one command)
I guess that, if you'd want to send appvars, you can use a prefix on the program name or something...
Sounds like a good idea.

Is this what you mean?

Example:
Calc A

Code:
Link -s PLAINJ/PJEDIT/DCS7 -app/DCS7 -var
 Sending...
 PLAINJ........100%
 PJEDIT........100%
 DCS7..........100%
 DCS7 -var.....100%
 All Files Sent

Calc B

Code:
Link -r
 Receiving...
 PLAINJ........100%
 PJEDIT........100%
 DCS7..........100%
 DCS7 -var.....100%
 All Files Recieved
I admit that this is an idea I've considered many a time, but I can reassure you it's not one that I have any intention of implementing it any time in the near or moderate future, especially given how little space I have to work with in Doors CS itself and how relatively not-compact string processing is in ASM. With that said, I've very interested in the idea of someone else implementing a DCS command line, and I'd be happy to help plan out how it might work if some ASM programmer wanted to try implementing this.
Great Kerm, that would be cool, problem here is that I am a dummy in asm. Sad
Svakk: I was using those slashes for directories. I was having files separated by spaces. As for appvars, separating them seems like a good idea, so I guess you can have flags -p for programs and -a for appvars, with the flags only needed to change from programs to appvars and vice-versa, and defaulting to programs.
Though this discussion doesn't need to move further since linking would probably be implemented last Wink

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours