I've been contemplating writing a Mode 7 engine for the Nspire, but I haven't been able to find a good description of the methods involved.
The only tutorial I can find is this, but it seems rather GBA specific.
Anyone know a good tutorial?
Huh, that's quite a fascinating page, although I concur it doesn't go into how exactly that sprite rendering works. The most I could figure out from that was something about scanlines, which sounds GBA-specific. Sad
no, no, scan lines are a rendering technique. Ask calc84maniac about this. I believe it is what he uses for F-Zero
elfprince13 wrote:
no, no, scan lines are a rendering technique. Ask calc84maniac about this. I believe it is what he uses for F-Zero
Oh good, then that will work out well. The article the OP linked even mentioned F-Zero as an example of a game that uses Mode-7. Apparently it's like sorta-raycasting?
That tutorial doesn't look to bad, though I would have liked to see more example code but there was mention to some so maybe I missed it.
So from what I can see, first you translate and rotate the sprite as appropriate, then you scale each horizontal line of the screen according to its vertical position.
TheStorm wrote:
That tutorial doesn't look to bad, though I would have liked to see more example code but there was mention to some so maybe I missed it.
Indeed, most of the code there seemed to me to just be differentiating between types A, B, and C.

@Bwang: Yeah, exactly, I think that's correct. That shouldn't be the end of the world, right?
Now to figure out how to rotate sprites...
Something about shearing, I think.
bwang wrote:
Now to figure out how to rotate sprites...
Something about shearing, I think.
Really, shearing? I thought that was a fairly low-quality way to do it, if you mean shearing in the x-direction followed by shearing in the y-direction.
I think there's a third shearing in the x-direction to make a perfect rotation.
bwang wrote:
I think there's a third shearing in the x-direction to make a perfect rotation.
Indeed, you're absolutely correct. This link has some info as well as the title of another reference with more info.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours