I wasn't sure where else to put this, so sorry about the inconvenience if there is any.

A while ago, my friend Anthony gave me two Dell laptops that he owned, and that had crashed from one reason or another.

-Dell Latitude D610
-Dell Latitude D600

The D600 was stomped on and worthless for anything but spare parts, so he gave it to me. His D610 was also worthless and a paper weight to, so I now own that one two.

I put the working parts of the D600 into the D610 that would fit, and then got his old hard drive that crashed. I put the hard drive in it, Formatted it, then put windows 7 enterprise on the laptop.

It worked fine for about a week.

[I still had to use software to get the CPU fan to work plus the there was a problem with charging and the sound, I wasn't fussed about sound, but I charged the battery in the dead D600]

But then just last weekend, I knocked over the table it was on, causing it to fall off and then for some reason it turned it self off. It worked fine for a day, but then I tried putting a hacked version of sims 3 on it.

[it started to freeze all operations the computer was doing while extracting so I took the battery out, It just started working the second before I took the battery out]

As everyone would probably do, I tried to turn it on to see if it still worked, it asked me for start-up repair, but I skipped it, it nearly loaded but the hard-drive started clicking and then the blue screen appeared on the screen, as I would normally, I assumed that it was over-heating so I killed the power and left it for an hour. I tried to turn it on but now the hard drive clicks and it comes up with a BIOS error.

A while ago, before I got the H.D.D for it, I attempted to boot Windows XP Pro SP1, from an external Hard Drive. It would load normally, but after a second on the windows loading screen it would come to the blue screen and then would restart and do a loop.

I checked online for some help, and some people before me have tried this, they said it was something to do with the USB ports refreshing, and that you need an older version of the system file, but that was about as much help as I could find.

Does anyone here know, or had any experience in how to solve this? I sure its possible, since a friend of mine can boot Linux from his 16GB USB.
Did you pull out the hard drive before you tried live-booting?
What do you mean?
smarcus6 wrote:
What do you mean?
Did you remove the bad hard drive that crashed from the laptop before you tried booting from the CD?
hmm... a classic case of a broken hard drive caused by movement during operation...

i think everyone has encountered this problem at least ones in their life time if your a computer geek... :\

replacing the hard drive completely should help for sure...

as for the problem you are stating... try removing the broken hard drive from your computer first, and then select boot from CD

EDIT: oh... nm... looks like that solution has already been suggested Razz
Oh, it the external HDD still does it even if I don't have the brocken hard drive in.
smarcus6 wrote:
Oh, it the external HDD still does it even if I don't have the brocken hard drive in.
You mean you have another computer's copy of Windows on the external hard drive? That's not going to help at all, it has an incorrect set of drivers configured. Just try a Linux LiveCD, or wait for the replacement drive to arrive. The LiveCD would be a good way to make sure that the rest of the hardware is still fully-functional.
if the external hard drive is just a normal hard drive in a converter case that can be taken out and put internally in to your computer, then just do that.

if not... then your out of luck...

(Razz didn't read the external part either Razz)
The reason I was using the external hard drive is because the laptop requires an IDE HDD and the external one requires SATA... Laughing, so it pretty much kills that idea.

Any idea of removing xp from the external HDD without wiping the rest of my stuff of it...

image of it in 'My computer' below:

I need to keep the Storage folder, and the folders with random numbers and letters were there before I installed windows on it, not sure about recycler and stuff. but yes, that's with show hidden files and system files.
That doesn't make much sense to me; for one thing, there's neither a Documents and Settings folder (XP) nor a Users folder (Vista and Windows 7). You could certainly delete everything except storage, then repartition the drive with a second partition for a fresh install of Windows, I suppose? I don't much like that idea in terms of elegance, though.
It's a half completed copy of windows xp, the installer never managed to open windows of it to complete the install because apparently the USB ports are reset on startup.
smarcus6 wrote:
It's a half completed copy of windows xp, the installer never managed to open windows of it to complete the install because apparently the USB ports are reset on startup.
Ah, that makes sense then. And you don't have another hard drive to copy Storage onto during the Windows install process to ensure Windows won't accidentally trash it?
Nope, but I could borrow the other external drive that requires a power source.
smarcus6 wrote:
Nope, but I could borrow the other external drive that requires a power source.
That would probably be the best bet. Back this drive up, wipe it and install Windows, then restore your Storage folders (and see what's in those md5-named folders).
those folders I don't have permission to enter XP, 7 and vista created them.
Ok, I wiped it using the windows disk settings and then installed a fresh copy of windows xp. It still hasn't been able to load up windows to finnish the install, and yet still crashes on the windows loading screen.

The error it comes up with is the:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7C45640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
smarcus6 wrote:
Ok, I wiped it using the windows disk settings and then installed a fresh copy of windows xp. It still hasn't been able to load up windows to finnish the install, and yet still crashes on the windows loading screen.

The error it comes up with is the:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7C45640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
Please avoid double-posting within less than 18 to 24 hours or so.

This Microsoft article appears relevant to your problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324103

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours