I probably shouldn't be submitting entries to a contest where I'm donating the prize, but I'm entering a USB mouse shell expansion for DoorsCS as my contest entry. It DOES NOT rely on usb8x being oncalc, so you just have the program oncalc and you can use an attached USB mouse with your TI-84 Plus/Silver Edition from within the DoorsCS shell.

It supports left- and right-clicking, and I intend to add a settings menu (triggered by middle or left+right clicks) to adjust mouse sensitivity and that sort of thing.

Perhaps I could add some sort of gesture support so you can launch things quickly by drawing a circle or moving the mouse to the top left corner quickly or something like that.

I made a YouTube video demoing it (I know it's crappy quality, it was 2AM, on my phone, and I was tired):

Very nice, BrandonW. Smile I like some of these feature ideas, particularly the gestures. I notice that you noticed it didn't work at the About small window - that's because that same window is invoked when Doors CS is installed, so I can't always guarantee that SEs are initialized. It'll take me about 90 seconds to remedy that, doing it now.

Edit: See? Done.
Rather interesting progress you have made on this! Hopefully it continues until you achieve what you want with it. =]
Any particular reason that my video comes up as a related video?

Any way, GG brandon!!
this should get kllrnohj to stop b*tching about the mouse interface in DCS Wink
elfprince13 wrote:

I don't think he cares anymore; when was the last time he (or a large portion of this board nowadays) picked up a calculator?
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

I don't think he cares anymore; when was the last time he (or a large portion of this board nowadays) picked up a calculator?
Just yesterday, but it wasn't a graphing calculator. I last touched a graphing calculator three years ago. Laughing
elfprince13 wrote:
In theory, but Kllrnohj's life-blood is complaining about things. Smile
@comic: Well, shame on you! Get going on your contest entry!
I want one of these for my 84. I am a HUGE fan of msd8x and usb8x. They are one of the most awesome programs for an 84. When Brandon enters it, I will have to get this!!
adept wrote:
I want one of these for my 84. I am a HUGE fan of msd8x and usb8x. They are one of the most awesome programs for an 84. When Brandon enters it, I will have to get this!!
It doesn't even take that much hardware, just a miniUSB and a USB female plug hacked together (carefully, I hope. Razz). I'm considering making some of these, nicely constructed and engineered, as contest runner-up prizes. What do you guys think?
KermMartian wrote:
adept wrote:
It doesn't even take that much hardware, just a miniUSB and a USB female plug hacked together (carefully, I hope. Razz). I'm considering making some of these, nicely constructed and engineered, as contest runner-up prizes. What do you guys think?
I love the idea, I'd hope you'd include the circutry to allow for an external power source as well so the calc's batterys are not drained so badly.
This is really cool! Does the calculator really provide enough power to handle an optical mouse though? Or would this be trackball only?
quigibo wrote:
This is really cool! Does the calculator really provide enough power to handle an optical mouse though? Or would this be trackball only?
As TheStorm mentioned, I would make the ones with power injection, so you don't need to worry about whether the calculator has enough power or not. Smile Quigibo, I'm unclear from BrandonW's video whether he was powering the mouse from the calculator.
Quote:
KermMartian
Posted: 10 Jul 2010 10:59:34 pm Post subject:
adept wrote:
It doesn't even take that much hardware, just a miniUSB and a USB female plug hacked together (carefully, I hope. ). I'm considering making some of these, nicely constructed and engineered, as contest runner-up prizes. What do you guys think?

I think that'd be really cool. I use one I got for like 8$. It was expensive for a tiny 3 inch cable, and it doesn't have external power. I know if I won, I would want one. But I am not in the contest... don't have time to spend, and know I won't win... So if you have time to do that, go for it Kerm!![/quote]
I might as well. If I can find an nice cheap source for USB cables, maybe $0.99 on eBay and convince the seller to combine shipping, this would be very economically viable. Very Happy
The calculator is powering the USB mouse, yes.

The calculator can power any device that's 100mA or less (and basically every USB mouse in existence does that).

The issue comes with some flash drives (especially SD->USB adapters) and so on, which can use 200mA and up. A PC can power a USB device up to 500mA. Anything beyond that requires a separate power source.

This works just fine with wireless mice as well, which I tested with this and it works. EDIT: basically, if you can use it with the mouse demo in USBTools, it'll work with this as well.
I was thinking something along the lines of that power injector you have on your site, BrandonW, hereabouts:

http://brandonw.net/calculators/
KermMartian wrote:
I was thinking something along the lines of that power injector you have on your site, BrandonW, hereabouts:

http://brandonw.net/calculators/

Yes, I can confirm that it works. I have an SD->USB adapter that requires 500mA, and I'm able to use it with msd8x through this. (Without the special cable, I can still use msd8x to read from the SD card, but attempts to write to the card cause the calculator to crash, because the adapter pulls more power to do sector writes (which I find fascinating, and makes sense)).
I'd bet the biggest power draw is actually doing sector erases, no? Is that incorrect?
I couldn't speculate because I don't know what the drive is doing internally, I can just tell you that it chokes on a sector write command.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours