KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
I spent a week and a half actually working on it, and about 3 weeks indirectly working on it through picking apart the rendering system (which is where I still am)
And didn't that also help you get a better handle on where performance problems are and are not coming from, and what you can do about it?

This exactly. My coding habits, especially when working with someone else's code or API is to spend a huge amount of time digging through it to understand what is going on so I can work much faster when I actually start putting out code.
I find I even have to do that with my own code if it's been a long time since I've looked at it. It's actually a well-documented phenomenon: programmers keep a sort of cache of their current code in their minds while they work, and an ever more short-term cache of the outline of what they're writing while they're writing it. That's why companies with lots of coders try to design the programmers' environment so that they won't get interrupted in the middle of writing a section of code and have that cache come tumbling down.
KermMartian wrote:
I find I even have to do that with my own code if it's been a long time since I've looked at it. It's actually a well-documented phenomenon: programmers keep a sort of cache of their current code in their minds while they work, and an ever more short-term cache of the outline of what they're writing while they're writing it. That's why companies with lots of coders try to design the programmers' environment so that they won't get interrupted in the middle of writing a section of code and have that cache come tumbling down.
This is a principle that Joel Spolsky stressed about quite a bit in some of his articles.

It was a major problem at my last job though. The designers and programmers were all sorta meshed together. The company was a web design company, basically, so they really didn't know how to handle programmers (sadly). It was a mess. Probably why I didn't get very much done there.
swivelgames wrote:
This is a principle that Joel Spolsky stressed about quite a bit in some of his articles.
Indeed, I was quite paraphrasing his excellent thoughts on the issue. Smile

swivelgames wrote:
It was a major problem at my last job though. The designers and programmers were all sorta meshed together. The company was a web design company, basically, so they really didn't know how to handle programmers (sadly). It was a mess. Probably why I didn't get very much done there.
That's terrible, sorry to hear it. Sad
KermMartian wrote:
elrunethe2nd wrote:
[...] and TBG itself is very hard to find and access.
Cemetech > Forum > Freebuild. That was hard.
If I were to find a lego-like MMO, I sure wouldn't look at a calculator forum. What TBG needs is it's own website.
Svenne wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
elrunethe2nd wrote:
If I were to find a lego-like MMO, I sure wouldn't look at a calculator forum. What TBG needs is it's own website.
As elfprince and Cyberprime mentioned, I think TBG needs some content and progress before it has its own website. Razz
I definitely agree with Kerm here. I was actually writing out a post explaining just that Razz

The project isn't at a point where it needs its own website. I don't see an issue with it continuing to be housed here until the project excels to its next milestone update (or two Laughing ).

However, when the time comes it would be my pleasure to donate a shared hosting account to Freebuild (permanently, or until we move to paid host). I have offered this in the past, but there's been hesitation due to TBG being a target for flooding, DDoS attacks, and the-like. Wink

I have the resources to do it, if we need hosting until we (or if we) move to a paid host. I own a pretty decent server, so space, bandwidth, features, and even up-time should not be an issue. (Maybe sometime when I'm free, and not swamped with projects) I'd be more then happy to design and put up a website to the spec of the TBG developer's and community's suggestions. Good Idea I have some great ideas I'd like to try and implement into the Freebuild website, if I'm given the opportunity to design and master it Smile

This is all, of course, if the developers agree to move the home. It's pretty understandable if they wanted to wait until it was a wee-bit further on. Smile

Given that, I don't see the shame in throwing up a TBG-based community site, even if it's not official, with the intent of becoming official if the rest of the developers are up for it at a later-date (with respect to the developers that, in the end, it is their choice where to house the official TBG website).
I have plenty of webspace and bandwidth available, but thank you for offering. Maybe we could use your servers to host the actual files or vice versa.
Svenne wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
elrunethe2nd wrote:

This isn't an MMO, or anything like one. If you want a Lego MMO you'll have to wait for Lego Universe, because that is the only one around.

Also, Cemetech has long since stopped being a purely calculator website, given the huge range of tech related projects being carried on here. Our roots are in the calculator community, but we've expanded to include a lot of general electronics and programming projects, as well as any personal projects of the staff.
elfprince13 wrote:
... we've expanded to include a lot of general electronics and programming projects, as well as any personal projects of the staff.
And the users I'd imagine. I have a photography topic and plan on updating you guys on projects I have going on as well.
swivelgames wrote:
I definitely agree with Kerm here. I was actually writing out a post explaining just that Razz

The project isn't at a point where it needs its own website. I don't see an issue with it continuing to be housed here until the project excels to its next milestone update (or two 0x5 ).

However, when the time comes it would be my pleasure to donate a shared hosting account to Freebuild (permanently, or until we move to paid host). I have offered this in the past, but there's been hesitation due to TBG being a target for flooding, DDoS attacks, and the-like. Wink

I have the resources to do it, if we need hosting until we (or if we) move to a paid host. I own a pretty decent server, so space, bandwidth, features, and even up-time should not be an issue. (Maybe sometime when I'm free, and not swamped with projects) I'd be more then happy to design and put up a website to the spec of the TBG developer's and community's suggestions. Good Idea I have some great ideas I'd like to try and implement into the Freebuild website, if I'm given the opportunity to design and master it Smile

This is all, of course, if the developers agree to move the home. It's pretty understandable if they wanted to wait until it was a wee-bit further on. Smile

Given that, I don't see the shame in throwing up a TBG-based community site, even if it's not official, with the intent of becoming official if the rest of the developers are up for it at a later-date (with respect to the developers that, in the end, it is their choice where to house the official TBG website).

On the topic of DDOS and such. ToB.org hasn't been attacked (Not even spam attack) once since opening, which is rather surprising.

And yes, TBG DOES need a website. The community will not grow if it is housed on a website which houses many other things.
I agree with most of the opinions here, we should have our own website. All in good time, of course.
elfprince13 wrote:
[...]Also, Cemetech has long since stopped being a purely calculator website, given the huge range of tech related projects being carried on here. Our roots are in the calculator community, but we've expanded to include a lot of general electronics and programming projects, as well as any personal projects of the staff.
Indeed, which makes it a good place for a fledgling project like Freebuild, because there are both people with very technical backgrounds to bounce technical thoughts off of, as well as more creative people to envision gameplay and maps.
CyberPrime wrote:
I agree with most of the opinions here, we should have our own website. All in good time, of course.
Definitely. Glad to hear you guys have web hosting. Let me know if you guys need a web designer Good Idea

And yes, Cemetech has become very diverse indeed Very Happy
swivelgames wrote:
CyberPrime wrote:
Definitely. Glad to hear you guys have web hosting. Let me know if you guys need a web designer Good Idea
And when it happens, I hope you'll continue to be linked into tiSAX. Smile
Yeah, that's a must! Razz
Would it be possible to get a SAX "client" under Joomla!?
Lucas W wrote:
Would it be possible to get a SAX "client" under Joomla!?
Well, it would certainly be non-trivial to design, but Joomla has a database backing and a user system, so it could indeed interface with SAX.
Hmm, well the Freebuild site will not be powered by Joomla!, I hope? Smile
swivelgames wrote:
Hmm, well the Freebuild site will note be powered by Joomla!, I hope? Smile
Oh geez, I so hope not. I hope it will instead be powered by one of the inimitable Swivelgames CMSes. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours