Hi there,
Jim E was working on a version of msd8x that would play wav files and videoes from a flash drive before he abandoned the community. I picked up the source code, fixed it, and it now works. I will be creating a program I call TIMP - TI Media Player - that will allow you to use your calculator like a portable media player. This will be much easier considering it is already almost done, I just have to touch it up and get a nice interface.
I think this would be nice to bring portable media to those who cannot afford a nice mp3 player or iPod.
SirCmpwn wrote:
Hi there,
Jim E was working on a version of msd8x that would play wav files and videoes from a flash drive before he abandoned the community. I picked up the source code, fixed it, and it now works. I will be creating a program I call TIMP - TI Media Player - that will allow you to use your calculator like a portable media player. This will be much easier considering it is already almost done, I just have to touch it up and get a nice interface.
Sounds nice, did you make sure you got Jim E's permission first? Or is it a GPL license?

SirCmpwn wrote:
I think this would be nice to bring portable media to those who cannot afford a nice mp3 player or iPod.
Definitely. Smile
so will this support mp3's (doubting ) or just wavs?
KermMartian wrote:
Sounds nice, did you make sure you got Jim E's permission first? Or is it a GPL license?

Heh, if he ever shows up in the community to get pissed off about it, then we can talk.

It supports a special kind of snd file, which is basically a wav. 18000 Hz.
ah so a 3 minute song will still be pretty large in size X.x
how does video on a calc work? I've never heard of such before.
AncientPower wrote:
how does video on a calc work? I've never heard of such before.

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/211/21188.html
SirCmpwn wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Heh, if he ever shows up in the community to get pissed off about it, then we can talk.
Hmm, as a developer, I take issue with that kind of attitude - think how you would feel if someone was taking credit for your work (even if it is with some additions) just because you weren't around to dispute it.

@AncientPower: It's actually not terribly insane, it's just swift piping from a storage device, either archive or a flash drive, to the LCD buffer. The hardest part is nice synchronization and keeping it fast enough for a decent framerate.
I will be giving him credit. It also has no liscense, seeing as it was never released officially, I just got the source.
I have been trying to contact him for more information, and if he replies to my emails, we will sort it out privately.
I would never just blatantly take credit for someone else's work, and take some offense at your suggestion.
SirCmpwn wrote:
I will be giving him credit. It also has no liscense, seeing as it was never released officially, I just got the source.
I have been trying to contact him for more information, and if he replies to my emails, we will sort it out privately.
I would never just blatantly take credit for someone else's work, and take some offense at your suggestion.
No offense is intended; I've just had some bad experiences in the past with people taking my programs, changing my name to theirs, and then trying to re-release. That's one of the reasons that the Doors CS source code has very limited availability and such a strict license attached to it. Smile
I can understand. Jim will be given credit for all that he has done.
SirCmpwn wrote:
I can understand. Jim will be given credit for all that he has done.
OK, good to hear. Also let me know if you want any help with interface brainstorming; I enjoy coming up with interfaces. Smile
Thanks! The interface I was thinking about using was a music browser, which you could use to pick specific songs, and a way to shuffle the music, and play them like that, as well as a video browser (without shuffle). It would display the music's information, and use the remaining cycles to show an equalizer type of thing.
SirCmpwn wrote:
Thanks! The interface I was thinking about using was a music browser, which you could use to pick specific songs, and a way to shuffle the music, and play them like that, as well as a video browser (without shuffle). It would display the music's information, and use the remaining cycles to show an equalizer type of thing.
Nifty! Do you have any mockups, or do you mind if I throw some ideas at you?
I don't have any mock ups, I'm presently working on tiDE, but you can go ahead and throw some my way. I can't work on z80 projects until I get back from Hawaii or until tiDE is in a useable state.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours