Should I Spend 2357290625 Hours Making A Multiplayer Function?
Yes
 28%  [ 2 ]
No
 28%  [ 2 ]
Wait For The Contest To Finish To Add This Option.
 42%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 7

Alright, so I said it was on and then I said it wasn't, but I figured that it wouldn't hurt to try. I am going to create an Ultimate Fight Game For The Upcoming DCS Contest. So that means I'm going to need Guidance, without receiving actual Code. If anybody has any suggestions feel free to help. I'm Using TI-83/84/+ BASIC. Probably Some Xlib or some Celtic, but I need to figure that out still.

Thanks!
So, are you envisioning a 2D-type fighting game, along the lines of the original Mortal Kombat? I think that would be really cool, if you can make good use of XLib/Celtic/DCSB libraries for fast but good graphics. I voted that you should wait until after the contest deadline to try to implement multiplayer, because it's a huge PITA in BASIC.
Yeah, I agree it'd be a PITA, hahahha. My problem though is I'm debating whether todo a Mortal Combat Version, or a FPS version, similar to Wii Boxing..... I was origionally going todo the FPS, but I'm starting to like the Mortal Combat way more and more, kinda like Double Dragon.... I honestly don't know though, and if I am going to get into this again I'm going to have to start like now, since I started to write the code in notepad on my computer and it died, so I lost about 18 hours of work.... Sad
That sucks. Sad You should always ctrl-s as frequently as possible; I definitely do so after at least every paragraph when writing a document, if not more frequently. With code, I save after every couple of lines, or chunk of a subroutine is complete. Anyway, do you mean a 3D FPS as the alternative to a Mortal Combat-style game? I think while impressive, that may take a lot of work and be a bit unrealistic.
Yeah it was going to be a 3D fps, but that would be a lot of work. The issue is that whats most likely going to happen is that Its just going to look like 1 guy and 2 arms and be similar to the 84+ DOOM game... very choppy. I am liking the idea now of the Mortal Combat way.... I'll probably just end up working with that idea.
That sounds like a plan. Using the Hybrid BASIC libraries should make you able to create some pretty nice-looking graphics. Smile
Alright, so after about 30 hours of work I've decided to screw this. I'm still going to finish this but there is so much that I do not know or that I'm going to need help with that there is no way I will be able to finish the project on my own.

Currently I need help with two things:

One... For my title screen, I have it set up to flash 4 times before going to the program.

Heres the code:

Code:

:0->B
:Lbl G
:If B=4
:Goto A
:real(5,1)
:If Ans=32
:Goto C
:real(5,0,Ans+1)
:Goto G
:Lbl C
:If B=4
:real(5,1)
:If Ans=0
:Goto G
:real(5,0,Ans-1)
:Goto C
:Lbl A
:PROGRAM CODE

So here's the problem. I need to make it so that it will display the contrast change on the graphscreen instead of on the homescreen. Also I need to have it so that it will stop after 4 times (When B=4 it will goto lbl A).

And my second problem is that I need to make it so that there are 4 buttons you could press. So Up, Down, Left, Right, 2nd, Alpha, and Mode, and i have no idea how to go about that.

If you can help with any of this that would be great! Thansk Guys.
bump!

Code:

0->A
While A<4 and max(K={24,25,26,34,21,31,22
[code to flash the screen]
A+1->A
Getkey->K
End

That should work, you'll have to know the flashing part though >.>
WhiteValkery wrote:
I need to make it so that it will display the contrast change on the graphscreen instead of on the homescreen
I believe that a DispGraph before you start changing the contrast should do the trick?
KermMartian wrote:
WhiteValkery wrote:
I need to make it so that it will display the contrast change on the graphscreen instead of on the homescreen
I believe that a DispGraph before you start changing the contrast should do the trick?

Yeah that would make sense. I put that in there, and I hope it works. Neutral
So did it work? And how about player's solution to your flashing and key-grabbing issues?
KermMartian wrote:
So did it work?

Yeah it worked perfectly.

KernMartian wrote:
And how about player's solution to your flashing and key-grabbing issues?

The problem with player's thing is that I don't need the buttons to work for the flashing, but for the actual fighting.

What I need is for it to do if you press up, you jump, if you go down, you crouch, left, right, etc. when you press 2nd you punch, mode you kick, and alpha you special attack. the problem is that i want it to be able to do up/right and up/left and down/left and down/right while it can also do punch and kick with these.

so it needs to be able to handle 4 directions, 4 alt directions, holding directions, and 8 directional attacks.

Thats the problem :/
If you need multiple keys simultaneously, you're SOL with pure BASIC. You can easily use real(Cool under Doors CS or any other XLib-compatible BASIC library including Celtic III and Xlib, though, which allows multiple simultaneous reads from the arrow keys.
KermMartian wrote:
If you need multiple keys simultaneously, you're SOL with pure BASIC. You can easily use real(Cool under Doors CS or any other XLib-compatible BASIC library including Celtic III and Xlib, though, which allows multiple simultaneous reads from the arrow keys.

Yeahh I know that theres no way that I would be able todo pure BASIC. And if i could, that would be a huge PITA... I'm currently using CelticIII and will probably just stick with that. Will the real(Cool function work with that too? I don't have/can't find the readme for Celtic anywhere, so I don't have access to what real function does what.

EDIT TO PREVIOUS POST: It also needs to handle the 4 attacks elsewise. So it needs a total of 20 keypresses.
Yeah, CelticIII has XLib. It will easily work in that too. It goes like this:

:: If it's in DCS7, it's definitely in Celtic, Xlib, and PicArc
:: If it's in Celtic, it's definitely in Xlib and PicArc
:: If it's in Xlib, then nothing else is guaranteed.
Alright that works. Thats good to know too. Is there a list somewhere of the DCS Libs? It might be easier to just use those instead, that way I won't need to have the users install celtic....
Svakk wrote:
Alright that works. Thats good to know too. Is there a list somewhere of the DCS Libs? It might be easier to just use those instead, that way I won't need to have the users install celtic....

The main SDK is: http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=SDK
DCSBLibs: http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=DCSB_Libs
Celtic/Xlib compatbility: http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=Third-Party_BASIC_Libraries
Okay, so if I do real(8, it will return a keycode as what... Ans?

If it is Ans all I have to do is say

Code:

:Lbl A
:real(8)
:If Ans=...
:Then
:...
:etc...
:Else
Sort of, although I'd hope it's not a giant mass of If/Then/Ends, because that would be quite slow. And don't forget the you can't Goto inside a then/else/end, because that causes a memory leak. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours