The administrators of Cemetech are happy to announce the seventh official Cemetech programming contest. The theme of this contest will be Doors CS programs. All entries must use some feature of Doors CS to be eligible for the contest. For BASIC programmers, this includes using the specialized headers to add icons, define subprograms, and hide subprograms, the built-in XLib and Celtic III compatiblity libraries, or the upcoming Doors CS BASIC libraries. For ASM programmers, this includes using the Doors CS GUI subsystem, the Associate Program subsystem, or some other features that are unique to Doors CS (even if it's just the header). A secondary goal of the contest is to introduce programmers to the extra features and power that Doors CS facilitates, so the more creative and efficient the use of Doors CS' features in your program, the better.

First, something everyone will be interested in: prizes. Brandon Wilson has generously offered to donate the top prize, a TI-73 that has been converted to a TI-83+ using his Chameleon program and then installed in a TI-83+ case. The contest will have two categories as detailed in the next paragraph, and a first, second, and third place winner will be chosen from each category. The two first-place winners will be fairly compared, and the entry judged to be the best will be awarded this top prize. A second prize that has not yet been chosen will be awarded to the first-place winner in the other category, and the second-place winners will also receive consolation prizes (feel free to post suggestions!).

We will be accepting two major classes of programs. One category will contain all BASIC and Hybrid (BASIC with XLib / Celtic III / Doors CS libraries) programs, while the second will consist of all pure ASM and Axe-compiled programs. The judges, Rivereye and myself, Kerm Martian, will make every effort to judge the entries fairly against others in the same categories and between categories based on our expert knowledge of the relative features and capabilities of BASIC, Hybrid BASIC, Axe, and Assembly.

The deadline for this contest will be 11:59:59pm Eastern Time, Sunday, September 5th, 2010. The results of the contest will be announced by the morning of Tuesday, September 7th, and the entries will be released to the general public during the day on September 16th to avoid violating the terms of the Omnimaga Axe contest and to allow possible cross-entries. The rules for this contest will be mostly similar to previous Cemetech contests. Programs should contain only original code, with some exceptions. Limited use of external libraries may be permitted on a case-by-case basis, but should be checked with one of the two judges. Only projects that have not been previously released will be permitted, and no code releases are permitted before September 16th, but unlike previous contests, publicity and posting about one's entry will be permitted, and feedback on ideas may be solicited from the general public. Again, users should not be asking for help with their code. The exception to this is Doors CS-specific questions, comments, or bug reports. I will be happy to work with any user to quickly resolve Doors CS bugs that may be preventing their projects from working properly, and points will not be taken off for bugs in entries that are the fault of Doors CS (although it is the responsibility of the coder to try to resolve these before the deadline).

Please feel free to post a topic in this Contest subforum when you decide you're going to enter the contest, to discuss whether a specific idea is appropriate, and to announce updates on your projects. We are open to appeals on the rules if you feel any of them are unfair, although we reserve the right to keep them as-is. Good luck, and have fun! To summarize:

PRIZES: Chameleon'ed TI-73/TI-83+ to the top entry, unannounced prize for the next three winners.
THEME: Use of Doors CS libraries and capabilities
DEADLINE: Sunday, September 5, 2010
ALLOWED: Publishing details and requesting idea/artwork help allowed
DISALLOWED: Releasing code, requesting non-Doors CS-specific code help

Okay Kerm, I would like to enter.....
qazz42 wrote:
Okay Kerm, I would like to enter.....
Awesome! Do you know what you're making yet? What category? Make yourself a topic in this subforum so we can get the discussion started.
I'll think I stand a pretty good chance entering with ProgPad, so I'm in!

Though just for ref. What's so special about Chameleon's TI-73/83+?
Brandon the god once touched it..

Also, is progpad a asm or Basic prgm?
Check the ProgPad forum, it's not finished, but I got screenshots
Anakclusmos wrote:
I'll think I stand a pretty good chance entering with ProgPad, so I'm in!

Though just for ref. What's so special about Chameleon's TI-73/83+?
Well, it's unique in that it may be one of the only calculators in existence that can execute programs larger than about 8KB, because they can execute code that is between $C000 and $FFFF. Every TI-83+ crashes instantly if it executes code above $BFFF.
When executing BASIC programs?I run Harvest Moon on my TI and its 24,000 bytes (have to have an empty RAM). So, was it like, modified in any physical way, internally or externally?
Anakclusmos wrote:
When executing BASIC programs?I run Harvest Moon on my TI and its 24,000 bytes (have to have an empty RAM). So, was it like, modified in any physical way, internally or externally?
No, it only applies to ASM programs. BASIC programs are executed by a parser that runs between $0000 and $7FFF, so BASIC programs are just like data. The thing that makes TI-83+s crash is when the pc register is >= $C000, or if bits 6 or 7 of pc are set.
Memorywise, does it have >,=,< TI83+ Ram and Rom?

And will you have to erase my source posts for the DISALLOWED part?
Anakclusmos wrote:
It has exactly the same amount of RAM and ROM as a TI-83+ that started out its life with that identity. Smile
Anakclusmos wrote:

It is equivalent to a TI-83+ in almost every way, the exceptions being the aforementioned RAM execution privileges and also one of the bits in the status port behaves differently.
Sounds pretty good Smile

I doubt I'll be able to compete much since I am still rather inexperienced with Axe and am not that great at BASIC optimizing, but hopefully maybe I could enter something. I can't promise, though.

The rules seems good, too. For Omnimaga users, just be careful to not ask help on Omni, because I am pretty sure Kerm will be watching sometimes Razz. I can't really monitor for Cemetech contests, though, because Omni sometimes gets 350-400 posts a day so that can take a long while to check for people breaking rules. Now imagine with two contests XD

Also, our contest ends on Sept 16th 12 AM GMT-5, to be exact. By then feel free to post all entries to public, even if ours aren't posted yet.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
Sounds pretty good Smile

I doubt I'll be able to compete much since I am still rather inexperienced with Axe and am not that great at BASIC optimizing, but hopefully maybe I could enter something. I can't promise, though.

The rules seems good, too. For Omnimaga users, just be careful to not ask help on Omni, because I am pretty sure Kerm will be watching sometimes Razz. I can't really monitor for Cemetech contests, though, because Omni sometimes gets 350-400 posts a day so that can take a long while to check for people breaking rules. Now imagine with two contests XD

Also, our contest ends on Sept 16th 12 AM GMT-5, to be exact. By then feel free to post all entries to public, even if ours aren't posted yet.
Good stuff, will at least wait until then. I don't think people will try to be problematic with asking for help at different fora. Smile And I hope that you _do_ enter the contest!
Count me in! Now to think up an idea for an xLIB+BASIC entry!

Hrmm......
KeithJohansen wrote:

Hrmm......
Most awesome! Did you put in your two cents yet on what extra libraries you want Doors CS to expose to BASIC programs?
KermMartian wrote:
KeithJohansen wrote:

Hrmm......
Most awesome! Did you put in your two cents yet on what extra libraries you want Doors CS to expose to BASIC programs?

Nope, I really can't think of anything I'd want.

Also, we have free reign to enter whatever we can think up, right? No limits? I can make a program that blows up the calculator? Just Joking Razz
KeithJohansen wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Nope, I really can't think of anything I'd want.

Also, we have free reign to enter whatever we can think up, right? No limits? I can make a program that blows up the calculator? Just Joking Razz
Haha, as long as it used the Doors CS libraries effectively and efficiently, most certainly! Very Happy
Okay, my entry will be this:
A program based on the Mosaic assembler/disassembler that will give users the ability to edit assembly programs. It will disassemble the program, pull up the source code, and give you the ability to modify it to your deepest desires. This will most likely be written as an SE to streamline the process.
SirCmpwn wrote:
Okay, my entry will be this:
A program based on the Mosaic assembler/disassembler that will give users the ability to edit assembly programs. It will disassemble the program, pull up the source code, and give you the ability to modify it to your deepest desires. This will most likely be written as an SE to streamline the process.
Sounds very cool! I look forward to play with this too, and seeing what different direction Anak and you take your compiler/assemblers. Don't forget to start a topic for yourself, unless you plan to continue to use your Mosaic topic.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours