Basically, its hilarious.

The game gives you a mountain of options and tells you to 'have at'.
I like that.

From the start it reminded me in degrees of Splinter Cell, especially the pistol. The power of it reinforces this link, and since then I have been applying the same tactics I developed to play Chaos Theory to this game too, albeit with a few awesome moments to befit the change in mechanics.

Now, Crysis is pretty. I'm running it off a laptop here at a decent speed. Its not as pretty as I was led to believe - there are some very shonky textures used in spots, but on the whole it echoes a very nice visual picture and the area it gives you makes up for the occasionally strangely stretched texture, because the amount of room out there is gigantic, the areas are cavernous. Touches like the plundered graveyard or the numerous forest jeep tracks winding through the trees make it a particularly memorable experience to play.

Also, the vehicles are insane fun. Insane fun, and my only gripe would be that they are often too weak for what I have in mind, and suffer from occasional glitches.
Ploughing a jeep at full speed into a gas station and diving out at the last minute perhaps may illustrate how flexible this game is, I am constantly impressed by the consideration Crytek put into the game. Other fun tricks include taking out people on piers by jumping over them with a speedboat, and driving speedboats over waterfalls. The power of the physics engine here really shines in all this.

Speaking of physics; this game boasts a fantastic set. There are very rare Cellfactor moments where you're killed by your own stupidity (eg, falling roof, etc), but on the whole you get a highly satisfying experience, allowing you to demolish houses and punch your way through roofs. Hilariously, frogs, chickens and turtles are all physics calibrated as well, allowing you to kill people by hurling them with sufficient force. Trees are also game, allowing you to dissect them with bullets into dozens of pieces, but annoyingly, seem to wait a second before physics activates on them when hit by a car or similar, leading to all too often a sapling damaging or gutting the vehicle you're driving.

Annoyingly, while some fences are physics enabled, others are statics, and they all look the same, why is an easy way to ruin a perfectly good vehicle when you slam into it while making a hasty retreat. The same applies to some boxes (or bags of grain (?)). While everything else is light and highly movable, these things are deployed like roadblocks, and are annoyingly common on the roads and in towns.

The plot is surprisingly solid, and, although you barely remain conscious of it given the good time you're having, it isn't bad and doesn't chain you to any particular method of operation, which is pleasing. You're free to approach objectives from any direction, and it is fun to see how things can go.

The game also gives you suit powers, because having a regenerating suit isn't enough. Apparently. This involves Speed Mode, Power Mode, Armor Mode, and Cloak. I found myself toggling constantly between Cloak and Armor, simply because they're the most practical tools in the game. The cloak is a massive pile of hacks, as you can throw it on and immediately disappear from view for a good minute, and only have to pause for about 4 seconds to let it recharge, and the game thoughtfully provides mountains of cover for you to do so. I found that simply creeping along with a pistol upgraded with a laser pointer and silencer provided the best solution in terms of stealth, although blasting the occasional savvy Korean in the face with a shotgun if they get too close in handy too.

I found speed was often the most useless power, and I only ever really used it to get the heck out of a sour situation (which was rare), or get to an objective faster rather than walk through miles of forest. Power mode was used about the same amount, but the presence of the physics engine and fully destructible buildings made for an excellent lure.

Other than all that, the voice acting can get a little repetitive, with the Koreans yelling the same phrase a little over much ("Die Yankee Dog!" anyone?), but on the whole you don't notice it that much.

I'd give the game an 8.5/10, suffering only because of the occasional physics glitch (invincible tin fences, and the occasional invincible tree), and the weakness of the vehicles in general. It'd be nice to be able to plow a truck at full blow through a house with little to no damage, rather than having the speed drop off so sharply, but I suppose that is Crytek's prerogative, not mine. A highly enjoyable game, and very recommended.
elrunethe2nd wrote:
Now, Crysis is pretty. I'm running it off a laptop here at a decent speed. Its not as pretty as I was led to believe - there are some very shonky textures used in spots, but on the whole it echoes a very nice visual picture and the area it gives you makes up for the occasionally strangely stretched texture, because the amount of room out there is gigantic, the areas are cavernous. Touches like the plundered graveyard or the numerous forest jeep tracks winding through the trees make it a particularly memorable experience to play.

1) Its coming up on 3 years old now

2) You don't have the graphics maxed out. Get back to me when you do, and then question its visuals

Quote:
Trees are also game, allowing you to dissect them with bullets into dozens of pieces, but annoyingly, seem to wait a second before physics activates on them when hit by a car or similar, leading to all too often a sapling damaging or gutting the vehicle you're driving.

1) I've never seen any lag on the physics on trees - might be a performance issue from your machine

2) Run into a sapling in a real car and then get back to me Wink

Quote:
Power mode was used about the same amount, but the presence of the physics engine and fully destructible buildings made for an excellent lure.

Power mode also has the awesome affect of almost eliminating recoil. Its awesome for sniping. Cloak in range, switch to power, and drop 'em.

Quote:
It'd be nice to be able to plow a truck at full blow through a house with little to no damage, rather than having the speed drop off so sharply, but I suppose that is Crytek's prerogative, not mine. A highly enjoyable game, and very recommended.

Well, you can't exactly plow through a building IRL either. Try this, get the vehicle up to speed, bail, and shoot the gas tank. You end up ramming a flaming, exploding vehicle into buildings - its wicked fun.
i find Crysis to be just a halo knock off...
i mean come on... power amror?
super strength? blah blah blah?

but ya... not a very good game...
if you pick up a barrow and start walking in to people slowly, they simply fly off... a really stupid and obvious physics bug that they didn't bother to fix... -.-

plus everything is so weak its like touching paper...

while there are too many features around that the game is impossible to be balanced...

p.s. nice graphics though...
Kllrnohj wrote:
-snip-

I didn't mean that terrible textures are used everywhere, this isn't Half Life, I meant that if a few tiny places, you can find a texture that really says that slightly less time was spent there. A good example of this is where the plants and soil from farmland turns into a clifface and there is a rock covered with flowers bridging the two, it is slightly stretched and unusually flat. I am not questioning the magnificence that most of the game is portrayed with.

RE: Trees gutting cars, look, i'm fine with it, but the game isn't realistic, you can hit things a lot harder than a sapling (like ramming a larger palm) and the cars can be okay, it doesn't detract from the game however.

Also, the helicopters pursue you a lot harder than is possible. When covered by undergrowth, or in the dense forest just before the extraction mission in the graveyard, despite the heavy cover the helicopter is quite happy to fire missiles at your exact position, leading to a bit of paranoia with the cloak.
I believe that overzealousness of the AI's aimbotting was one thing that Yahtzee Crosshaw (sp?) lamented in his original review of Crysis. I never got a chance to play it myself, but it sounds like fun.
schoolhacker wrote:
i find Crysis to be just a halo knock off...
i mean come on... power amror?
super strength? blah blah blah?

And Halo has none of that, thus it is impossible for Crysis to be a Halo knock off.

Halo is the most generic shooter of all time with absolutely *ZERO* original ideas or gameplay elements.

Crysis is frigging Doom in terms of originality compared to Halo.

Quote:
but ya... not a very good game...

I disagree. Extremely fun.

Quote:
if you pick up a barrow and start walking in to people slowly, they simply fly off... a really stupid and obvious physics bug that they didn't bother to fix... -.-

And Halo's levels were blatantly copy/pasted together. Only game I've ever played where they literally copy/pasted the same hallway+corner combo like 30 times in a row. Horrible, horrible level design.

Quote:
plus everything is so weak its like touching paper...

Makes explosions more fun. Realism != fun.

Quote:
while there are too many features around that the game is impossible to be balanced...

Balanced for what? Its primarily a single player game. Balance issues simply don't exist.

elrunethe2nd wrote:
I didn't mean that terrible textures are used everywhere, this isn't Half Life, I meant that if a few tiny places, you can find a texture that really says that slightly less time was spent there. A good example of this is where the plants and soil from farmland turns into a clifface and there is a rock covered with flowers bridging the two, it is slightly stretched and unusually flat. I am not questioning the magnificence that most of the game is portrayed with.

RE: Trees gutting cars, look, i'm fine with it, but the game isn't realistic, you can hit things a lot harder than a sapling (like ramming a larger palm) and the cars can be okay, it doesn't detract from the game however.

Also, the helicopters pursue you a lot harder than is possible. When covered by undergrowth, or in the dense forest just before the extraction mission in the graveyard, despite the heavy cover the helicopter is quite happy to fire missiles at your exact position, leading to a bit of paranoia with the cloak.

Yes, but again, you weren't playing with max graphics. You can't say whether or not those textures were the result of the game topping out or simply the medium setting you were playing at. Post some areas and I'll fire it up with maximum everything and post a comparison shot. We'll see if its a game limitation or your hardware's limitation Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours