Hey guys, I am trying something that will take me a long time to complete. Also, this is my first thread advertising one of my programs, so bear with me.

I am making a program that, in theory, will be able to briefly explain the uses of all of the commands in the TI-83+ BASIC Library. The explanations done by me are based on those from the TI-BASIC Dev wiki. To know where I am in the production of this program, please follow it, as I will post any updates as I make them (updates to where one portion of the program is finished).

To see the current, uploaded progress, please click here: Program Helper
Are you going to be using TI Basic Developer? They have an explanation for pretty much everything in the CATALOG.
Catalog Help may be what you want (although it just shows how commands are used, not what they do)
Michael2_3B wrote:
Are you going to be using TI Basic Developer? They have an explanation for pretty much everything in the CATALOG.

Yes, as stated in the beginning (at least I hope), I am using TI Basic Developer to help me write my explanations.
M. I. Wright wrote:
Catalog Help may be what you want (although it just shows how commands are used, not what they do)

I will be wanting an example for each of the commands, so this should help out when TI Basic Development doesn't give that good of an example use
Sorry for double-posting, but it is basically the only way that I could get people to read this. This I will be explaining soooo many commands, the program is going to be very big. Is there a way to compress the program or bypass the memory limit in a calculator?
Assembly programs can do it pretty well. If you make it with Axe, it would be real easy to access appvars. I think there is a way to do it with ti-basic as well though. I read from somewhere that you can use Celtic3 or something to access appvars, which you can a lot of, be archived, and read. Only problem is that you need the app I think. Never used it before. Razz Anyway, suggest to rather to it in Axe, will make this program a whole lot easier, and faster.

Of course, if you want to stick with basic, you would need to use the strings or lists to do it. You can convert the text to a list and use that to unarchive and read the details for each command. Or use the 10 strings basic provides. Sad

Really, not much options without assembly access...
OK, is there anyway to have text in a list, or is it limited to only numbers?
Lists are just numbers, however, that is all you need to do text. For most text, you only need half a byte to have all the characters. If you use the list elements well, you can have 6-7 (I think) letters in 1 list element. However, it's a real slow process of converting it I think.
Let's say you have a number: XXXXXXXXXXXX
It has 12 numbers, 0-9
If you have the first 2 numbers be the first letter, you get 0-99 combinations for letters, more than you need for standard text.
Basically, use ASCII.
Ok, so I am using strings for things that are repeating, such as the titles, and I dropped the bytes down by about 100. Any other byte-saving methods you have?
MrDew25 wrote:
OK, is there anyway to have text in a list, or is it limited to only numbers?

Technically, no, but you can convert numbers to letters. So if the given list element is 1, then that would convert to "A", if it was 2, that would convert to "B", and so on. The way you would be something along the lines of this:

Code:

For(A,1,dim(|LLIST
Text(Y,X,sub("ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ",|LLIST(A),1
End

of course, you can choose to display this however you want - you don't have to use the Text() command. You can also wrap the text if need be.

And that is not even the most efficient way. You can also add decimals and stuff to your list element, and use some iPart() and fPart() commands to extract the data and convert it to a letter. The simplest way would have N.N for every list element, so each list element can now hold two "letters". You can also do even more letters in a single element, but Haobo is better at that than I am I think Smile

EDIT: Do you currently have code for your search bar? Because what came to mind first for me was that you can have all the commands in a string, then when the user inputs their search, you can use inString() to search for the command in the string. Of course, if they try to enter a search in letter by letter than that will not work - they need to enter the actual command. To solve this, you could instead type out the commands letter by letter in the main string, then when they go to search for it letter by letter it would work. However, there is still a problem - mismatches in capitalization between the main string and the user search. Anyways, where you would probably go from there is whatever you said in your first post, I think. Not sure if what you had would work, but you can try it.
Edit: It worked!!! I didn't really experience any lag and I had to use Asm(prgmArc) with prgmArc having the code AsmPrgm21F8893E02AE77C9
Do you have any screenshots of it in action? How does it compare details wise with the oncalc Catalog help?
How's the progress? Got any significant things done, maybe worthy of a new screenshot?
Here are the home screen commands:

Here are the function commands, so far:

These .gif's are pretty bad quality. Does anyone have a way to make them better?[/img]
Michael2_3B wrote:
EDIT: Do you currently have code for your search bar? Because what came to mind first for me was that you can have all the commands in a string, then when the user inputs their search, you can use inString() to search for the command in the string. Of course, if they try to enter a search in letter by letter than that will not work - they need to enter the actual command. To solve this, you could instead type out the commands letter by letter in the main string, then when they go to search for it letter by letter it would work. However, there is still a problem - mismatches in capitalization between the main string and the user search. Anyways, where you would probably go from there is whatever you said in your first post, I think. Not sure if what you had would work, but you can try it.

I didn't even know about that, I'll use that for Cortana and Search now. Very Happy

How do you convert a string into a number?
You could turn off the calculator screen background, making the background white. In jsTIfied, just click on the little calculator icon on top of it. You can also enlarge the screen by box right next to the cd, the one with the arrow in the top right (although that is only for you if you need it, it doesn't do anything to the gif)

EDIT: to convert a string into a number, just use expr(Str#)
This sounds like a great program to teach people how to use all the tokens! I personally don't know the use of ALL the catalog tokens so i'm sure this would come in handy, if you guys need any help i'd be happy to tag along, definitely sounds like something i'd enjoy working on Smile
solarsoftware wrote:
Michael2_3B wrote:

I didn't even know about that, I'll use that for Cortana and Search now. Very Happy

How do you convert a string into a number?

What I have now is that all of the commands are in a string and in the search bar, the user finds the command in the catalog and, using the inString( token, it goes to the command description.
Michael2_3B wrote:
You could turn off the calculator screen background, making the background white. In jsTIfied, just click on the little calculator icon on top of it. You can also enlarge the screen by box right next to the cd, the one with the arrow in the top right (although that is only for you if you need it, it doesn't do anything to the gif)

I did use a white background, look at the screenshot in the first post. I was wondering if there is an application that can make a .gif better than what the one here can do
Heey, what I would do is something like this (in pseudocode) with Doors:
(Don't know whether you had already this Very Happy )

Code:

Repeat until stop
ClrHome
Input Str2
"rowSwap([name of appvar]"->Str1
"[list of all elements in catalog, without closing parenthesis]"->Str3
inString(Str3,Str2
[read corresponding line from appvar, i think det(2)]
Disp Str2 [your input]
Disp Str9 [what is on that line of the appvar]
Pause
End

and what you can do too, is store Str3 of my program above in the appvar too, makes the program much smaller.
Can I see your search bar? I want to compare it to mine.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours