As I'm sure everyone is quite aware by now, ticalc.org's annual Program Of The Year contest has officially started. They are starting off with TI-83+/84+ programs, and there is a rather impressive list of entries:

• Absolute Insanity
  • Absolute Madness
  • Alien Breed 5
  • An Exercise in Futility
  • ASMDREAM
  • Bomberkids
  • Chess
  • Fruit Ninja
  • Gravity Walls
  • Jetpack 8x(+)
  • My First Quantum Translocator
  • solidFRAME
  • Space Station Pheta
  • Swords 2
  • Zombie Gun

These programs are all quite impressive, and I know I personally had a hard time picking. Make sure to head over there and cast your vote for your favorite if you haven't already, and come on back to discuss your choice.
Hurray, time for another POTY! I assume we'll get to mention our picks eventually, so I'll just say which I picked. It was a hard choice, but I ended up with Alien Breed 5, for James V's amazing work.
Lots of stuff this year for the 83+ series (reminds me of 2004 and 2010). Alien Breed 5 is definitively a great program, and so underrated outside Cemetech and Omni (see the low amount of downloads on ticalc.org). Of course the other programs are great, too, so good luck to everyone!
I voted! Smile
I also voted for Alien Breed 5, though all the entries are, of course, spectacular. A big draw for me was the nostalgia factor. Fruit Ninja was a very close second, and of course I'm amazed technically by solidFRAME. I would've love to've'ad three or four votes.
TI-Nspire poll:
  • gpsp-Nspire
  • Multi(language)Periodic
Seems that's the only other category this year (there were five last year) :/
I guess that isn't a bad thing, it just means that next year there will have to a PC/Web App category for jstified, PatrickD's 92 emulator, and Tokens. That is if they don't plan on doing a category for that this year.
Were any of those featured? If it does come to that, I hope I don't have to compete against sourcecoder... I think it would be wiser to separate client-side and browser-based.

As for the nSpire poll, I voted for Multi(language)Periodic--I have a soft spot for periodic tables. Though there is a comment on the post:
Jim Bauwens wrote:
I think you are missing Ndless 3.1 and The Squares do not die [...]

That may sway my vote to Ndless.
I can't say I'm overly surprised by the paucity of Nspire programs, given the anemic reception the community has given the device in contrast to the TI-83+/TI-84+ and the Casio Prizm. Hopefully the TI-84+CSE will mix things up a bit. And Jonimus, could you please email such a suggestion to the ticalc.org gang? Currently they only feature uploaded files, and webapps of course can't really be uploaded. jsTIfied and SourceCoder have been featured, and Tokens and PatrickD's emulator should.
Ticalc.org does not feature (making eligible for POTY) programs that are not present in their archives. Since most Nspire programmers do not upload their files anywhere else than TI-Planet, a lot of the Nspire work stays out of the POTY.

Also, because of all the Ndless blocking stunts by TI, along with the very limited development tools for non-Lua programmers, this made a lot of Nspire coders leave the community prematurely, so whenever someone released a demo or beta of his program (often in good functional state, such as nDoom) on forums or Dropbox, the author would be gone before he gets to upload it on ticalc.org.

As for PC stuff, a lot of the newer stuff seems to be online tools, such as jsTIfied, PixelScape and SourceCoder, so those have no chance to make the POTY unless ticalc.org ever adds an online tools category. Someone should try to get TokenIDE featured, though.
DJ_O wrote:
Someone should try to get TokenIDE featured, though.
Smile I appreciate that. You should email ticalc.org to let them know!
TokenIDE should be featured for sure! *sends email*
I don't know why saxjax didn't pick up on my #cemetech tweet, but in case anyone doesn't already know, the results are out now.
Congrats Deep Thought! Fruit Ninja is, indeed, a great game and technically innovative on the calculator. Congrats to everyone else, too, of course; lots of high-quality calc games made this year!
Travis wrote:
I don't know why saxjax didn't pick up on my #cemetech tweet, but in case anyone doesn't already know, the results are out now.
Thanks Travis. Smile Maybe they're private? Anyway, congrats to Deep Thought, James_V, and all the other winners and nominees this year. Great work all around.
Congrats to every winner, but also great job everyone else because there were so many great entries this year. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Travis wrote:
Thanks Travis. Smile Maybe they're private? Anyway, congrats to Deep Thought, James_V, and all the other winners and nominees this year. Great work all around.

My tweets are public. Unless Twitter was being stupid and not search indexing it or it somehow ignores everything with “RT” tags.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours