ElectronicsGeek wrote:
Did Cemetech get this scoop first?
Yes indeed, Cemetech was the first to report the TI-84 Plus Color. Smile One other community member knew but could not share anything, thanks to an NDA. There was also a Tweet earlier in October from Texas Instruments that mention it, but none of us noticed.
By the way, as soon as this comes out in stores here, I grab one.

http://business.financialpost.com/2012/09/13/wii-u-release-date-price/ wrote:
Nintendo has confirmed that the Wii U console will have the same price in Canada and the United States.

TI... why can't you be like Nintendo? D:
And then reputable news outlets picked up on this thread..

Evil or Very Mad
Through a couple layers of indirection and blog spam.
I am surprised Cemetech wasn't listed as source >.<. Isn't here the first site on which the calc was shown?

Also thanks CDI for putting it on Reddit. I was gonna do so until I was notified the link was already submitted.
We're on the photo credit, but as Elfprince noted, we're behind a layer of indirection/blogspam in Ars' story. If you click through to TechPoweredMath from Ars, that links back here and cites us as the original source.
DJ_O wrote:
I am surprised Cemetech wasn't listed as source >.<. Isn't here the first site on which the calc was shown?

Also thanks CDI for putting it on Reddit. I was gonna do so until I was notified the link was already submitted.
Yeah, I can't say I'm thrilled that we weren't listed. I tweeted about the new calculator to Lucas as a courtesy. Sad
Ars' article actually links to Cemetech, but in its top image's caption...
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/10/ti-84-calculator-color-screen/

If no one's beat me to it.
Have you written that?
No, I saw it on my regular checking of Engadget and saw the connection to Cemetech and decided to tell you guys.
Lucas W wrote:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/10/ti-84-calculator-color-screen/

If no one's beat me to it.
Thanks. Smile I tipped them about it a few days ago. It's too bad that we keep getting further and further behind the blogspam trail of Ars Technica and TPM, but c'est la vie. Smile We'll need to make sure we are the site for TI-84 Plus C ASM (and BASIC) coding.
As said in the chat, I've created a topic on TI-Planet summarizing the story behind the discovery of the 84C :

http://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?lang=en&p=132106#p132106

It's both in English and French Smile
Caught this post on Engadget, figured I'd stop in and say hi. Smile

Still wish TI would refresh their 68k line, but I know its pretty much dead. At the very least I wish they would bring the complete 68k programming language to another calc at some point, but i'm not holding my breath there either.

I wonder what other changes they plan on doing to the calc besides adding a color screen. The OS the 84 is based on (the Ti-82) is pushing into it's 20th birthday with very few functional changes here and there between calc versions. I don't see why schools would buy this thing (and most likely, pay a premium for it) vs the B&W versions just because you can add a background to the graph and change graph colors. It has to do more than the current units to be useful to schools, otherwise, they will keep buying the current 84's and buy nspires for the more advanced stuff.
Hello Smile

Quote:
Still wish TI would refresh their 68k line, but I know its pretty much dead.

Yeah. They completely abandoned the TI-68k series in 2005, and the number of active programmers has been low since 2006-2007.

Quote:
It has to do more than the current units to be useful to schools, otherwise, they will keep buying the current 84's and buy nspires for the more advanced stuff.

Completely agreed Smile
Fryedsoft wrote:
Caught this post on Engadget, figured I'd stop in and say hi. Smile
Welcome back; always nice to see one of our 68k professionals back in the neighborhood.

Quote:
Still wish TI would refresh their 68k line, but I know its pretty much dead. At the very least I wish they would bring the complete 68k programming language to another calc at some point, but i'm not holding my breath there either.
Sadly, I don't think this is realistic to expect. I think they're committed to the Nspire CX CAS as the TI-89/TI-92/V200 replacement, and I'm (hoping?) that the TI-84+CSE replaces the Nspire CX non-CAS replacing the TI-83+/84+ line.

Quote:
I wonder what other changes they plan on doing to the calc besides adding a color screen. The OS the 84 is based on (the Ti-82) is pushing into it's 20th birthday with very few functional changes here and there between calc versions. I don't see why schools would buy this thing (and most likely, pay a premium for it) vs the B&W versions just because you can add a background to the graph and change graph colors. It has to do more than the current units to be useful to schools, otherwise, they will keep buying the current 84's and buy nspires for the more advanced stuff.
Hence my precarious prediction that they will choose to kill off the non-CAS Nspires. I believe both teachers and students have expressed concern and confusion at the interface of the devices, especially when (as you point out) teachers have been training themselves to use the TI-82 through TI-84-style interface for decades.
I'M pretty sure it's a bit due to cellphones being more and more popular. It's hard for 96x64 devices to compete head on with HD 24 bit color screen devices and look less attractive to younger people.

On the other hand, by keeping the same interface, they keep the calc easy to use and if someone plans to switch from the TI-73/80/82/82 Stats/83/83+/84+, then at least it won't be hard for him to get used to the new calc. I know Casio has kept the same interface from 1993 to 2010 in general and when I first used my PRIZM I just used my FX-9850G/9750G manual as quick start guide.
Now I see slashdot accepted Kerm's submission. There are at least a few interesting things in the comments there.
Tari wrote:
Now I see slashdot accepted Kerm's submission. There are at least a few interesting things in the comments there.
And the answer to that post is precisely what I, you, and everyone on this website knows: use it as a tool for life! Programming, math, science, mobile document-jotting, etc. People just think of it as a calculator, which it's not. TI needs to tell people this, and we need to get the word out.
Quote:
And the answer to that post is precisely what I, you, and everyone on this website knows: use it as a tool for life! Programming, math, science, mobile document-jotting, etc. People just think of it as a calculator, which it's not. TI needs to tell people this, and we need to get the word out.

Quite right Kerm, it will not only raise the awareness of the true power of the graphic calculator, but it may increase TI's profits and increase the amount of members on community websites like Cemetech.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 6 of 8
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours