Early in 2012, I announced jsTIfied, an emulated TI-83 Plus graphing calculator in your browser. Built entirely in Javascript, CSS, and HTML and avoiding the legal pitfalls of a calculator's OS leaving its owner's computer, jsTIfied completely duplicated the functionality of your favorite TI-83+ calculator. You can perform calculations, plot graphs, test programs, and write your own projects. Over the summer, I integrated jsTIfied with the eminent SourceCoder online TI-BASIC editor to allow you to more easily create, test, and publish graphing calculator programs without needing anything besides a web browser. Hardware-wise, the TI-83 Plus is the easiest of the TI-83+/TI-84+ series to emulate, so it was with trepidation that I approached the oft-repeated suggestion that I add TI-84 Plus, TI-84 Plus Silver Edition, and TI-83 Plus Silver Edition support to jsTIfied.

I am happy to announce that after a long weekend of coding, testing, and pouring over documentation, I have gotten the first bits of TI-83+SE, TI-84+, and TI-84+SE support in jsTIfied functioning. Thanks to the generous Buckeye and the WabbitEmu project, jsTIfied will display one of four spiffy, high-resolution skins matching the calculator version of the ROM you load. It emulates the extra Flash and RAM (the full 128KB!) of the newer graphing calculators, properly implements features like the realtime clock ports, and much more. However, the new support is still very beta, so a few features are known to be missing. Loading apps and programs to the new models does not yet work, Link Assist is a work-in-progress, and the crystal-based Timer0/Timer1/Timer2 are incompletely implemented. However, I'm making swift strides in adding these new features, so by the time you test jsTIfied some of those issues may be fixed.

I urge you to load up jsTIfied and give it a try. Please be sure to tell me about any bugs you encounter (other than the ones I mentioned), and mention any suggestions to make the emulator more useable. Please also tell your teachers and friends about it, so that they will avoid the pitfall many of my teachers fell into in struggling with the ancient and now-supplanted VTI emulator.

Use the jsTIfied online TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus graphing calculator emulator

Wow that was fast! I was just complaining about the lack of a TI 84+ emulator a couple days ago! I won't get to try it for another week, though, because I don't have my calculator on me at the moment.

Does the TI 83+ SE actually exist? I've never actually seen one of those.
Are you able to emulate multiple ROMs at once or is this image just for demonstrative purposes?
There is only one emulator onscreen at once, which swaps to any of these skins to be used with the appropriate ROM. Right? If you can't do multiple emulators already, maybe that will be emulated once the linking works.
If you want to know the extra features that GlassOS requires to boot and how to emulate them, let me know Smile
LiquidMetal wrote:
Wow that was fast! I was just complaining about the lack of a TI 84+ emulator a couple days ago! I won't get to try it for another week, though, because I don't have my calculator on me at the moment.

Does the TI 83+ SE actually exist? I've never actually seen one of those.
It certainly does! I have four of them in my calculator collection. I look forward to your feedback when you do try it.

AHelper: Sounds good, thanks for that. My first order of business is to implement the Link Assist so that sending files will work.

LiquidMetal wrote:
There is only one emulator onscreen at once, which swaps to any of these skins to be used with the appropriate ROM. Right? If you can't do multiple emulators already, maybe that will be emulated once the linking works.
It isn't sufficiently modular to emulate multiple calculators at once yet, not to mention that I think modern browsers and computers might choke. This is just for illustrative purposes, with four screenshots stitched together.
KermMartian wrote:
This is just for illustrative purposes, with four screenshots stitched together.
I think it is misleading as I thought you could do multiple calcs from that screenie. Looking closer, I can see it was a very quick stitch since the text header is cut off.

Maybe put in a notice saying that 4 calcs at once isn't possible, or actually drawing in lines in the image to clearly show it is stitched?
AHelper wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
This is just for illustrative purposes, with four screenshots stitched together.
I think it is misleading as I thought you could do multiple calcs from that screenie. Looking closer, I can see it was a very quick stitch since the text header is cut off.

Maybe put in a notice saying that 4 calcs at once isn't possible, or actually drawing in lines in the image to clearly show it is stitched?
I don't think it's a big deal for now unless a lot of people start complaining about it being misleading.

So, any comments so far? I'll be much happier with the completeness once I implement Link Assist, which I'm currently staring at, and sending/receiving files (hopefully) works.
Hi, I loaded my TI-84 Plus's ROM using rom8x, and it successfully loaded to the emulator. However, when I select the "emulator" view next to a program I'm creating, it has automatically selected the triangular Play button, but it just shows a wall of black (as if all pixels were on) and doesn't react to any buttons.
So when you run it in the stand-alone jsTIfied emulator it works, but when you use the jsTIfied next to SourceCoder, it doesn't? What browser are you using?
No, it just doesn't work at all for my ROM for some reason. I'm using Chrome.
Can you please go to Developer Tools, then click Show Console at the bottom-left, and tell me any errors that you see there?
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'style' of null saxjax.js:242
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '1' of undefined jstified_compressed.js:89
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '6' of undefined jstified_compressed.js:89

This is all I can find, in the middle of the "Console" list.
Arythy wrote:
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'style' of null saxjax.js:242
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '1' of undefined jstified_compressed.js:89
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '6' of undefined jstified_compressed.js:89

This is all I can find, in the middle of the "Console" list.
And if you refresh the page and try loading your ROM again, do any new errors appear?
element.style.visibility = "hidden";
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'style' of null
element.disabled = true;
element.innerHTML = "";

AND

b+1]=0)}}function ti_83p_checkcert(b){var d,a;if(0!=ti_83p.rom[b+0])return 0;for(d=1;15>=ti_83p.rom[b+d];){switch(ti_83p.rom[b+d+1]&15){case 13:a=ti_83p.rom[b+d+2]+3;break;case 14:a=(ti_83p.rom[b+d+2]<<8)+ti_83p.rom[b+d+3]+4;break;case 15:a=6;break;default:a=(ti_83p.rom[b+d+1]&15)+2}d+=a;if(8192<=d)return 0}if(255!=ti_83p.rom[b+d])return 0;if(1<d)return 1;for(;4096>d;){if(255!=ti_83p.rom[b+d])return 0;d++}return 1}function ti_83p_powered(){return ti_83p.it_mask&8||!z80.halted}
function ti_83p_key(b,d){if(128==b)if(d&1){if(!ti_83p.on_key)ti_83p.on_key=1,ti_83p.it_active|=ti_83p.it_mask&1}else ti_83p.on_key=0;else{var a=2>d?ti_83p.key_map[b]:b;112>a&&(ti_83p.key_state[a>>4]=d&1?ti_83p.key_state[a>>4]&~(1<<(a&7)):ti_83p.key_state[a>>4]|1<<(a&7))}}function ti_83p_link_instruction(){var b=ti_83p_rmem(z80.pc),d=ti_83p_rmem(z80.pc+1);return 0==(d&23)&&211==(b&247)||237==b&&0==(z80.c&23)&&64==(d&198)}
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '1' of undefined
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '6' of undefined
function ti_83p_run(){for(;;){for(;

is where the code is btw.

After refreshing and reloading, I don't see any errors and now it's just a blank screen that won't react to anything.
That helps a lot, thank you for that. I will look into this and edit this post if/when I find and fix the problem.
Great, thanks for your help! ^^
Arythy wrote:
Great, thanks for your help! ^^
I loaded an OS 2.41 ROM from my TI-84+ non-Silver Edition calculator on jsTIfied and was able to boot it fine. Did you test with the stand-alone jsTIfied page as well as SourceCoder? I will now test with SourceCoder and see what I can figure out.

Edit: The jsTIfied in SourceCoder loads and runs my TI-84+ ROM fine as well. Do you click anything in particular to make those errors come up? Also, in Windows Explorer, please right-click your ROM and tell me the number of bytes (not bytes on disk) of the ROM image.
As an 84+ user, I think this is great news. I'll have to check my ROM out shortly.
elfprince13 wrote:
As an 84+ user, I think this is great news. I'll have to check my ROM out shortly.
Great, I would appreciate that. I suspect that there are some ROMs that are outside the size limits I'm using to detect valid ROMs, for some unknown reason. Please do let me know.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours