For contest #8 I am porting the classic Atari arcade game, Missile Command, to ti-basic. So far I have the menu screen and some of the game done. If I have time, I will port it also to asm, or axe.
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4zF790DzyQ
Sorry I keep editing this.
The object of the game is; you have (10) missiles and there is oncoming meteorites, which you have to explode before they hit your homes/bases. You get a bonus for how many houses you have left, and how many missles you have left. Pretty simple to play, harder to master, it gets harder and faster.
How do you plan on having people aim? I noticed in that video that the guy was able to jump around the screen pretty quickly (was he using a mouse?), will you still be able to have that sort of speed? And, of course, are you going for pure TI-Basic or are you going to use DCSB libraries, like Celtic 3, xLib, and the DCS GUI system?
_player1537 wrote:
How do you plan on having people aim? I noticed in that video that the guy was able to jump around the screen pretty quickly (was he using a mouse?), will you still be able to have that sort of speed?

Note to the OP and you, Catherine, that the original Atari 2600 controller looked like this:

As you can see, very fast for movement, and very imprecise. The only guess I could think about for movement would to just use the normal arrow keys and the firing key could just be 2nd. If the game is written in Pure BASIC or Hybrid-BASIC with DCS7 libs, I would suggest using movement increments of at least 8, for what will likely turn into an authentic movement system true to the original.

Another thing, is to perhaps also looking at the arcade version of Missle Command and consider porting that instead? The gameplay is even cooler because you have less cities, and three launching sites. Though I might be biased, as it is the version of the game I prefer for it's much more plausible difficulty Smile

EDIT: just for fun I'll note that the original Missile Command in Arcade Table format used 3 buttons for activating the launch sites, and a ball-pad for movement.
Ashbad wrote:
Another thing, is to perhaps also looking at the arcade version of Missle Command and consider porting that instead? The gameplay is even cooler because you have less cities, and three launching sites.

Yeah I was planning on porting that version, I just couldn't find a video for specifically that one. So it will be the arcade version, I have that one on my iPod touch, so I can play and port it pretty similar. Not to take your idea, but I will probably do increments of 6 to move around.
Edit:
It will be in pure basic, my favorite.
Ashbad, ahh, that's right. Duh. I should have remembered that. Anyways, I was curious because I seem to recall a version of this game where you shoot based on an angle, and then you just rotate that angle to change what you are pointing at. But, if you are staying true to the original, then I guess you can't do that Smile
For the arcade version, I won't have three buttons for the different launch pad. When you push 2ND it will test and see which pad is closest to the target and launch form there, but if that one is empty it goes to the next one.
zeldaking wrote:
For the arcade version, I won't have three buttons for the different launch pad. When you push 2ND it will test and see which pad is closest to the target and launch form there, but if that one is empty it goes to the next one.

Another way you could control the game is to divide the screen into 20 sections in a 4 down x 5 across pattern. Then, the rectangle of keys from x⁻ยน to + would fire a missle at a random point within that section, like using a touch screen. The missle base closest to that point would fire the missle.
OOOPSSS: This should be Missile command, but I guess I will do missle command. :/
I think I will continue the way I am doing right now, thanks though.
So far I have the awesome menu screen. Also I have the "mouse" sort of thing, where the missiles fire. It moves around great with the increments of six so I will be doing that.
Sorry this is so late. Here are some screenshots: (I can't get wabbitemu to work, so thee are still pics)

Tittle screen:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firing Cursor:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alien ships with missile trail:

Please comment, thanks.
Edit: Hopefully this works. The bottom two pics are what I want to do, but I am still thinking, tittle screen is real.
Looks good to me, and quite doable. Good luck putting it together; don't forget that you have about six days (well, almost seven) left until the deadline!
yeah i know, i have that exact title screen done. i have the code done for the firing routine. all i have now is tying all the code together.
sorry guys, I am beginning to fear I am not going to finish. sadly I just haven't had the time. I am trying to cram everything into programming during school, but this game turned out more complex then I first thought.
still to do:
-enemies
-adding help menu
-finish awesome high score table
-fix my hit detection and firing code and tie it in
-make all the code optimized
-make a playable version
MEGA BUMP:
Although not for the contest anymore, I have decided to continue it. I found my source code yesterday and with summer coming up I needed a project. I restarted my firing code, and have made good headway. Also messing with my Highscore routine it is pretty sweet (graphical) now. I hope to keep working on this and finish it.
Hm this looks really cool ^.^ Hope you finish it and make it cool!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours