CEMETECH
Leading The Way To The Future
Login [Register]
Username:
Password:
Autologin:

Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
Latest Headlines
Online Users
There are 140 users online: 6 members, 119 guests and 15 bots.
Members: Botboy3000, flyingfisch, magister.jansson, pimathbrainiac, ukgk, vivi75.
Bots: MSN/Bing (1), VoilaBot (1), Baidu (1), Spinn3r (2), Magpie Crawler (3), Googlebot (7).
RSS & Social Media
SAX
You must log in to view the SAX chat widget
KermMartian

Site Admin

Posted: 30 Dec 2011 11:14:37 am    Post subject: Build a Calculator-Floppy Drive Music System

One month ago, my floppy drive music with a calculator project accrued widespread internet attention, with the video reaching 45,000 views and over 100 likes in a month, and the project featured on Hack a Day, Engadget, and many other sites. Since then, the plans have been frequently requested, though unlike other projects of mine, I unfortunately did not have the hardware plans and software packaged for release when I announced the project itself. I have finally found time after final exams and other factors in my life to write up a brief explanation and draw the schematic for the project, as well as package and publish the necessary software. You can explore the construction plans and download the software at the links below, and if you haven't already seen the video, click through and enjoy!

Download
Floppy drive music with a calculator plans
FloppyTunes 1.0 software
Video of project in action

Last edited by KermMartian on 08 Mar 2012 01:42:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Spenceboy98

Super-Expert

Posted: 07 Jan 2012 12:12:03 pm    Post subject:

What if we have a TI-84+ SE and we only have the USB cords?

Site Admin

Posted: 07 Jan 2012 12:17:06 pm    Post subject:

Spenceboy98 wrote:
What if we have a TI-84+ SE and we only have the USB cords?
Then you won't be able to build this project without getting a serial link cable or at least a 2.5mm stereo plug and some wire.

CharlieMAC

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 09 Jan 2012 03:24:50 pm    Post subject:

Do you think I can build this with a TI-89 Titanium? I've got the serial 2.5 mm jack cable.
KermMartian

Site Admin

Posted: 09 Jan 2012 03:57:27 pm    Post subject:

CharlieMAC wrote:
Do you think I can build this with a TI-89 Titanium? I've got the serial 2.5 mm jack cable.
Yes, easily, but you'd have to write the software for it. Are you comfortable with 68k ASM or C?

CharlieMAC

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 09 Jan 2012 03:59:14 pm    Post subject:

I've tried to program some programs in C, but I'm not as good as most of Cemetech's people Sad
KermMartian

Site Admin

Posted: 09 Jan 2012 04:03:09 pm    Post subject:

CharlieMAC wrote:
I've tried to program some programs in C, but I'm not as good as most of Cemetech's people Sad
Alternatively, if you can find a decent monophonic music player for the 68k calculators, I can probably guide you through modifying it for this particular purpose; I can always pick Lionel's brain if I forget something. Smile

CharlieMAC

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 09 Jan 2012 04:06:00 pm    Post subject:

HAHAHA, okay. I appreciate your help and answers Smile

btw: I've read some documentation for TI-89 C programming and I found that it was really hard. I haven't found tutorials or stuff like that. Are there some tutorials for ASM or C for TI?

Thanks
KermMartian

Site Admin

Posted: 09 Jan 2012 04:10:18 pm    Post subject:

CharlieMAC wrote:
HAHAHA, okay. I appreciate your help and answers Smile
My pleasure.

Quote:
btw: I've read some documentation for TI-89 C programming and I found that it was really hard. I haven't found tutorials or stuff like that. Are there some tutorials for ASM or C for TI?

Thanks
Take a look here, for starters:

http://tigcc.ticalc.org/tutorials.html

Ashbad

Guru-in-Training

Posted: 09 Jan 2012 04:11:55 pm    Post subject:

Regarding C on the 89, if the tutorials on using it for that give you problems, perhaps trying to learn on PC first, following the tutorials on cprogramming.com? Once you know the language well, you can work better in more limited environments like the 89, and by extension, the Casio Prizm.
L
M
A
O
alex444

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 06:49:32 am    Post subject:

Saying that floppy drives are monophonic is like saying that conventional loudspeakers are monophonic, or that PWM is monophonic: All of these things can be true, but that doesn’t mean that they must be.

Getting multiple, simultaneous frequencies out of the stepper on a floppy drive is a straight-forward thing. The results won’t be pretty, and there will be nothing practical about it, but just because it’s useless doesn’t mean it can’t (or shouldn’t) be done. Smile
Travis

Advanced Member

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 08:35:31 am    Post subject:

Or get multiple floppy drives (and multiple calcs, if necessary) and make an orchestra! Smile

Getting timing synchronized could be hard, though.

Site Admin

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 11:20:33 am    Post subject:

Travis wrote:
Or get multiple floppy drives (and multiple calcs, if necessary) and make an orchestra! Smile

Getting timing synchronized could be hard, though.
I considered ways to do that, including having an external circuit controlling the direction pin, allowing one calculator to pulse the step pin on two floppy drives, but I didn't try implementing it.

Alex, I tried some tricks mixing frequencies on a single floppy drive, and the results were ear-shatteringly unfortunate. Welcome to Cemetech, by the way; feel free to Introduce Yourself when you get a chance.

Everyone: I will be demonstrating this system, among several of my other calculator hacks, at Maker Faire 2012 in NYC in two days.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Jump to: