At least six years after I first created the globalCALCnet (gCn) concept, and roughly eight years after my first designs for CALCnet, I am happy to announce gCn 1.0. While CALCnet 2.2 allows from two to two million calculators to connect in local-area networks, global CALCnet can link multiple CALCnet networks across the internet, and can even offer internet-based services to calculators, such as connections to IRC and other chat protocols, bridging between desktop and calculator games, calculator file repositories, and much more. To connect one or more calculators to global CALCnet, all one needs is a $30 Arduino development board or to build the cheaper but more complex USBHID Bridge design, previously known as the "$10 Bridge". Creation and usage of each type of bridge is detailed in the gCn documentation, as is loading of the requisite firmware to the bridge's microcontroller, and the usage of the gCnClient computer-side software, available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.

Every project released that works over CALCnet works over globalCALCnet as well, including CALCnet Chat! v1.0, NetPong v1.0, the CALCnet SpeedTest program, and the up-and-coming Obliterate scorched-earth game. I strongly encourage everyone with an AVR microcontroller, an Arduino board, or a bit of electronics knowledge to put a gCn Bridge together and connect your calculators to the internet! On the ardent requests of many Cemetechians, I will in the near future be attempting to make a gCnClient that can link TI-84+ and TI-84+SE calculators to gCn directly via the calcilators' miniUSB port, which will require significant Doors CS modification as well as USB headaches host-side. Feel free to weigh in on your opinions or possible offers of assistance for that!

Downloads
globalCALCnet (gCn) Client v1.0
On the Design and Usage of globalCALCnet (gCn)

Well, you know I'm on top of it computer-side if you want me.
I can help with debugging gCn over USB. Smile
Merth: Awesome. I'll probably try to stumble around it in C++ for the sake of my own experience, but perhaps it might be worthwhile to try some C# in tandem. May I look at your latest C# code at some point to see what the structure is like for doing this kind of thing? Souvik, I'm glad to hear it! I bet I'm going to have a lot of USB-gCn debugging volunteers.
That's tremendous !
But I prefer don't try, because the doc is in english... it's too risky. Laughing
kindermoumoute wrote:
That's tremendous !
But I prefer don't try, because the doc is in english... it's too risky. 0x5
It's pretty easy; almost no wiring is required. I'm sure one of our bilingual members could guide you through it, because it's a lot of fun, in my biased opinion. Smile
*bump* Many thanks to ticalc.org for featuring Doors CS 7.1, CALCnet, and gCn! I hope that this will help raise the community awareness of the project.
Great Smile
Lionel Debroux wrote:
Great Smile
Thanks Lionel! I was careful to write down that TI-89 timing information you gave me earlier (or for you, yesterday) on IRC.
For general information (I don't think that we need this kind of hardware for a gCn bridge): one of the libusb maintainers is fond of a cheap Cortex M3 board, with a CPU significantly more powerful than the ATmega in the Arduino: http://events.ccc.de/congress/2010/wiki/MakeUSBDeviceWithCortexM3
Oh yeah, I've seen the Cortex M3 before; that looks like a pretty powerful board. As you say, it would be somewhat overkill for use as a gCn bridge, but I bet it would be a lot of fun for some other microprocessor projects.
ticalc.org featured gCN!! Congratulations ;D
ScoutDavid wrote:
Thanks! I too am extremely happy about this. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
ScoutDavid wrote:
Thanks! I too am extremely happy about this. Smile

Maybe this is something people will actually look at DCS itself, then realizing it can replace their multiple shells they are using with just one, then even have more features, as well as the gCn, and maybe, just maybe, we can overthrow MOS one day. ;D
In an ideological sense we already have overthrown MOS, since DCS can do much more, much better. However, it'll take a lot of time and effort for it to spread out among the millions of calculators out there, and for people to stop their knee-jerk defense of MirageOS (see also: fanboys of every company/brand/product out there) and begin defending DCS instead. Wink
We should get started on making those YouTube vidoes. Wink
souvik1997 wrote:
We should get started on making those YouTube vidoes. Wink
An excellent point, I can't believe I forgot about that! Do you guys want to brainstorm some samples, or should I try putting a handful together for people to use as reference?
This is awesome. I'm glad this is finally out. Congrats on the feature on ticalc.org. I wonder if eventually Compynerd might be convinced again in adding CALCnet support to Eitrix. Hopefully now that Axe supports Axioms, some Axe coders might also be interested in this more now.
DJ_O wrote:
This is awesome. I'm glad this is finally out. Congrats on the feature on ticalc.org. I wonder if eventually Compynerd might be convinced again in adding CALCnet support to Eitrix. Hopefully now that Axe supports Axioms, some Axe coders might also be interested in this more now.
Indeed, and I believe that Kevin (H) might have moved the Axe variables to not conflict with the CALCnet2.2 buffers, from what I've heard. What's Eitrix?
I'd love to try writing an Axiom for CALCnet. Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours