Shaun "Merthsoft" McFall and I are happy to present CALCnet Chat! v1.0, an IM, conferencing, and IRC program for TI graphing calculators. It takes advantages of the powerful CALCnet 2.2 networking protocol for TI graphing calculators and the Doors CS GUI API to offer a small yet powerful program. This 2KB program lets you chat with one, one dozen, or one thousand other users at once over CALCnet or globalCALCnet. It has already been used for conversations over 300 miles using gCn, demonstrating its versatility and power. With Chat!, you can chat over a simple unit-to-unit I/O cable for two calculators, or an only slightly more complex conglomeration of link cables for more than two. You can set (or change) your username and see a list of other users on the network. With globalCALCnet (gCn), Chat! can be linked into Internet Relay Chat (IRC), so that your TI-83+ or TI-84+ can chat on the internet. Download and enjoy! Doors CS 7.1.1 or higher required.

Download
CALCnet Chat! v1.0

Awesome! This is definitely going on my calculator!
souvik1997 wrote:
Awesome! This is definitely going on my calculator!
Thanks Souvik! I wonder how many people still have the old 3-foot I/O cables to chat between desks, although I hope no one will use Chat! for academic disintegrity.
sent to calc. will be using this to hat with friends in class Very Happy

also, I still HAVE to get the monies for a socket and a arduino...
qazz42 wrote:

If by the time my Sparkfun goodies arrive (possibly today?!) and I work out a bitbanged USB HID interface to make the bridge about $10 instead of $30, then you can save money (or make three bridges).
Cemetech is awesome. Keep this going Smile

</noobsoundingpost>
comicIDIOT wrote:
Cemetech is awesome. Keep this going Smile

</noobsoundingpost>
Cheers. Smile Shaun and I are going to mention this program to the ticalc.org staff as something interesting at some point, and also my cool parts came, so I'm experimenting with USB HID bitbanging as we speak. Eight resistors, three capacitors, a crystal, an Atmega382p, and a button to make a CALCnet bridge? I hope so.
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:

If by the time my Sparkfun goodies arrive (possibly today?!) and I work out a bitbanged USB HID interface to make the bridge about $10 instead of $30, then you can save money (or make three bridges).

Oooh, niiiice, I have about 15 or so dollars atm, so that should work Very Happy
Although I've only gotten the AVR part working on my breadboard, not yet the USB part, here's what the parts list looks like:

(1) Atmega328p with Arduino bootloader (needs to be programmed, though, so you at least need access to someone else's Arduino just to program it) [$5.50]
(1) 16MHz crystal oscillator [$1.25]
(2) 22pF crystal loading capacitors [$0.25 each = $0.50]
(4) 330 ohm resistors [$0.10 each = $0.40]
(1) standard LED [$0.20]
(1) RGB LED [$1]
(1) 2.2K ohm resistor [$0.10 each = $0.10]
(1) 4.7K ohm resistor [$0.10 each = $0.10]
(2) 68 ohm resistors [$0.10 each = $0.20]
(1) pushbutton [$0.45]
(2) 3.6V Zener diodes [$0.10 each = $0.20]

Total cost: $9.90
This doesn't include breadboard, USB socket (or cord cut apart), PCB, solder, or IC socket for the Atmega.
When you say that it needs an Arduino to program it, does that only mean the programmer (like, the thing that sends the program over USB) or do we need an actual Arduino? Other than that, I'm happy the cost is still low, and good luck on getting USB to work Smile
_player1537 wrote:
When you say that it needs an Arduino to program it, does that only mean the programmer (like, the thing that sends the program over USB) or do we need an actual Arduino? Other than that, I'm happy the cost is still low, and good luck on getting USB to work Smile
Thanks, I need to find somewhere to get a pair of 3.6V Zener diodes and a pair of 68 ohm resistors to be able to properly test, because the D-/D+ lines of USB are actually around 3.3-3.6V, not 5V as I had previously thought. I mean that you need to put the Atmega/AVR chip in the Arduino board, use the Arduino board to program the chip, then pull it out and use it. If you have an AVR programmer, great, but I tend to think more people have Arduino boards than AVR programmers.
Even though I'm generally afraid of microcontrollers, I'm contemplating getting the Arduino just to try this out. It sounds really revolutionary and awesome Kerm! Congrats on all your work amounting to this! Now, I just have to make myself a I/O cable, which didn't come with my calc, to use this, and I'll try it out and put it on my calc. (and the stupid radio shack 3/32" plug doesn't fit into the confined space on my 84. I'll have to order that.)
adept wrote:
Even though I'm generally afraid of microcontrollers, I'm contemplating getting the Arduino just to try this out. It sounds really revolutionary and awesome Kerm! Congrats on all your work amounting to this! Now, I just have to make myself a I/O cable, which didn't come with my calc, to use this, and I'll try it out and put it on my calc. (and the stupid radio shack 3/32" plug doesn't fit into the confined space on my 84. I'll have to order that.)
You can shave down the connector to fit if you're very careful, but it can be a big pain. TIFreak8x found cheap 2.5mm stereo sockets at Futurelec, but that still requires you have an I/O cable.
Very nice work everyone!

and Kerm, I still have a 3' I/O Smile
elfprince13 wrote:
Very nice work everyone!

and Kerm, I still have a 3' I/O Smile
As do I, it comes in handy (also, that's what he said). Thanks Elfprince!
I noticed recently, that that what you chat you can edit, so that it says something different, just the way as you edit a text document. I would change that. Smile
There's no good way to prevent that; other people won't see the changes. I could put an invisible non-hotspot over the text editing area, but I don't see a terrible need for it. On the other hand, I think I've accidentally clicked in the text area before, which pauses reception of new messages. I suppose it would be worth it if there were other changes or bugfixes being added as well.
Oh, ok, I just thought that you can mabe just make that nothing happens when you press [2nd] in the chat-field.
Sorunome wrote:
Oh, ok, I just thought that you can mabe just make that nothing happens when you press [2nd] in the chat-field.
Yup, I think that would be a good idea, but I'm slightly too lazy to release a whole new version just for that one change. I'd rather find some other changes as well that I could roll into the same release.
I ghave a nother idea: mak chat-groups (veary good for gCn), so that you don't have to swith virtual hubs.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours