DJ_O wrote:
Nice to hear Smile. I think that I saw 66 once, though (around 2011)
Not that I'm gloating, of course. Smile I'm just happy that the community remains not entirely quiet and inactive.
Wow what about a 7 year necropost? Surprised
KermMartian wrote:
*super epic necro bump* I noticed we got up to 63 users online on #cemetech on Efnet today, which might be a record for us. Anyone have records that indicate otherwise?

I can't think of any IRC clients that indicate how many users are online in logs. Even if one were to count individual users throughout a day we'd still be missing all the inactive/dormant users we seem to have in the channel.
One of my irc clients lets me know how many users are in a channel when I join, getting the peak is simply tracking joins and quits.
KermMartian wrote:
DJ_O wrote:
Not that I'm gloating, of course. Smile I'm just happy that the community remains not entirely quiet and inactive.
I actually noticed in the last year or so that a lot of the programming discussion moved over to IRC rather than forums, especially when people ask for ASM or Axe help. Although it is nice in the way that it's easier due to being in real time, it can be bad in the way that if somebody else ever runs into the same problem in the future, then there will be no remnants of the past discussion, since forum posts are permanent, while IRC conversations aren't (unless a channel is logged publicly, and even then it is hard to find anything in logs).
DJ_O wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
DJ_O wrote:
I actually noticed in the last year or so that a lot of the programming discussion moved over to IRC rather than forums, especially when people ask for ASM or Axe help. Although it is nice in the way that it's easier due to being in real time, it can be bad in the way that if somebody else ever runs into the same problem in the future, then there will be no remnants of the past discussion, since forum posts are permanent, while IRC conversations aren't (unless a channel is logged publicly, and even then it is hard to find anything in logs).
That's already handled with DoorsCS's ~topic command, but I guess it could be used more often.
To put aside confusion, DoorsCS (channel bot, for those not in the know) responds to certain trigger words and ~topic is one of them. When a user types and enters ~topic, DoorsCS responds with "You should make a topic!"

It doesn't post anything to a topic nor make one. It's also a lazy mans way of actually letting us say the same thing - but the frequency in which we need it ends up saving time over writing it a bunch of times.
you should just copy a bunch of stuff into the notepad, and copy the appropriate one when you need it. i do it a ton.
71 IRC nicks on #cemetech on 7/7/2013.

Just keeping a record.
76 nicks on 07/22/13

More records!

(Since this is the IRC topic... LTWTTF? Lead The Way To TrueType Fonts? Leading The Way To The Futurama?)
AHelper wrote:
76 nicks on 07/22/13

More records!

(Since this is the IRC topic... LTWTTF? Lead The Way To TrueType Fonts? Leading The Way To The Futurama?)
"Leading the Way to The Future? Like the thing at the top-right of the Cemetech banner, also the Cemetech motto? Very Happy And that's a great record!
You know. I never understood that until now and I've always been too ashamed to ask because I thought everyone knew it as common knowledge.

Turns out I was right.
comicIDIOT wrote:
You know. I never understood that until now and I've always been too ashamed to ask because I thought everyone knew it as common knowledge.

Turns out I was right.
Well, I'm glad that your point of confusion was inadvertently cleared up! I figured it was common knowledge that "LTWTTF" was "Leading the Way to the Future" too, actually.
78 nicks is the new record on 7/27/13!
Huh, my client says 80
Travis wrote:
Huh, my client says 80
That must mean we reached a new-new record. I hope that the trend continues through back to school; I also note that we have an awful lot of online guests for a Monday morning.
comicIDIOT wrote:

Turns out I was right.
#cemetech used to be located at #ltwttf after a short exile to various other networks, since Kerm no longer had access to that channel. Some people were reminded of l33t-WTF due to the acronym. Razz

Also nice to see new records lately. I noticed some spike in community activity in the last few weeks, which is quite unusual for Summer months, but I guess it's good, although it could be due to different "demographics" compared to recent years (such as a new audience that prefers to stay inside in front of their computer or calculator rather than going outside) or bad weather. (Over here, heat index reached 48°C one afternoon, then the week after it was 18°C)
New high score noticed: 85 nicks, 9 ops.
AHelper wrote:
New high score noticed: 85 nicks, 9 ops.
That's great! I only worry that all of our IRC activity comes at the cost of forum activity, although I was happy to see a nice full page of threads to respond to when I awoke this morning.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours