Hmm, a few questions

Does it work on the nspire? (please say yes)

does the network slow down linearly or exponentially?

How much information can the calcs send to-from each other?

Could this be modified to work across reg. ethernet as well? It would be nice to have internet on-calc, broadband style Razz
1) Nspire: If it has an I/O port, and the Nspire emulator gets the timing good enough, then yes
2) It doesn't slow down with calculators added. The bandwidth doesn't decrease either. However, the latency decreases linearly with the amount of data simultaneously sent. There's 110 possible cycles of sending on the network per second, so 110 calcs can each send 1 a second, or instead, 100 of them could be silent, and 10 of them could each pass 10 a second, or 100 could be silent, 9 could send 1, and the remaining one could take 101 portions! It will of course be less under real-world conditions, but I expect it to be quite decent!
3) I haven't benchmarked max speeds yet. That comes soon.
4) Yes, there's a LONG-running project of mine called gCn (global CALCnet) that will extend and connect Cn2 networks over the internet.
*bump* Four-calculator pong! Scoring (although it doesn't show the scores it records here)! Distributed pausing and quitting! Paddle movement! Fast packet sending and syncing! I'm very excited how this NetPong demo is working out; I expect to release an executable tomorrow (Wednesday).

this is just... too epic!
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
this is just... too epic!
Thanks DJ. Smile I am very happy with it, I can't wait to finish this demo and write the whitepaper.
Whoa. I missed that. You should make it so the last calculator displays score and such.
Woah, an executable! Will the pong and CALCnet be diffferent programs or bundeled together?
Very nice work, Kerm. I wonder how fast a multi-calculator game of life would run. Smile
qazz42 wrote:
Woah, an executable! Will the pong and CALCnet be diffferent programs or bundeled together?
For this demo, they'll be smushed together into the same program. However, after I release this demo and a whitepaper, I do indeed plan to try to fit the driver into Doors CS somehow, not that I have any idea how I'm going to pull that off.

benryves wrote:
Very nice work, Kerm. I wonder how fast a multi-calculator game of life would run. Smile
Thanks Ben! I'd be happy to give it a try; would you agree that one would just have to share the edge column of pixels to the adjoining calculator on each iteration?
One thing I wonder is how the networking will work. I haven't paid attention to this project a lot in the past years before it died, but did you need to mod your calc to support CALCnet? Or did you just need to buy easy-to-find adapters? I remember this was also for the 83+ but then there was discussion regarding simply supporting USB or something, meaning 84+ only. Again, I forgot so I am unsure. If there are not a lot of stuff to buy to use CALCnet, this could actually have pretty big popularity if people started making multiplayer games, since a lot of people parents control everything their kids do with their money.
1) USB: People have been asking me to expand it to use USB as well, which would mean you might be able to chain calculators together with their I/O and USB ports as in this mockup image, but I have no intention of doing so in the near future. The timing is also built to work on 6MHz, not 15MHz, so all calculators from the TI-83+ to the Nspire (assuming the Nspire's emulator doesn't completely break the I/O port timing) can use CALCnet2.2

2) Hardware: No modding necessary. For a two-calc network, just plug the I/O cable into both calcs. For a three- or more calculator network, you can either cut up some I/O cables and splice them together, with no extra hardware other than maybe some electrical tape necessary, or you can get a bunch of 2.5mm stereo sockets, wire them in parallel, and not have to cut apart your precious I/O cords. Unless you're trying to make a 30-foot network or connect 20 or 30 calculators together, no extra signal boosters or such things are necessary.
the nspire has a I/O port that works fine...
qazz42 wrote:
the nspire has a I/O port that works fine...
Yeah, but we don't know how accurate the in a,(#) and out (#),a commands are in terms of timing and latency. Based on my experiences with the rest of the emulator, I don't have high hopes. Qazz, would you be able to test that for me? You have a TI-84+SE, an Nspire, and an I/O cable, correct?

err, ssslliigghht problem with that

my TI-84+ keypad kinda got a bit lose...

ahh, what the heck, sure thing, ill just try to make sure I dont lose connection Smile
I'm still waiting on my username e-mail from eBay so I can buy stuff. I apparently already have an account with the e-mail I'm try to use.

I'll have one or three calcs in no time after that B)
Can't wait to try this!
qazz42 wrote:

err, ssslliigghht problem with that

my TI-84+ keypad kinda got a bit lose...

ahh, what the heck, sure thing, ill just try to make sure I dont lose connection Smile
What do you mean it got kinda lose, are the contacts damaged? Anything that some soldering can fix?

@comicIDIOT: Excellent, although I wouldn't expect it to take too long. I assume you already checked your spam box and everything?
nah, it just cant be moved too much or I lose connection

other than that, I am more than happy to help
qazz42 wrote:
nah, it just cant be moved too much or I lose connection

other than that, I am more than happy to help
Awesome, that's great to here. Still to do before I release this, hopefully this evening:

1) Make each calculator display the score every time either player scores. The left and right calcs will display "Leading N-M" or "Trailing M-N", while the middle calc(s) will display "Left|Right Player Leads","N to M".
1a) Fix paddle hit detection to be more forgiving
2) Add logo and url in splashscreen
3) Disable debug indicator
4) Pack up emulator version (with calculator ID populator) and hardware calc version (without that feature)
KermMartian wrote:
Thanks Ben! I'd be happy to give it a try; would you agree that one would just have to share the edge column of pixels to the adjoining calculator on each iteration?
Yes, I think so. I'd recommend looking at tr1p1ea's code if you intend to give it a go as he managed to make it run very fast on a calculator. Smile
benryves wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Yes, I think so. I'd recommend looking at tr1p1ea's code if you intend to give it a go as he managed to make it run very fast on a calculator. Smile
I'll definitely do that. That gives me two applications to try after NetPong, at least, the Life problem and some kind of FTP-like client.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours