Coded this up in a few hours. It's just a movement and mapping engine, but it would be fairly trivial to add some sort of score to the game (i.e. collect coins or get from A to B in a certain time). Might enter it into the contest if I get around to the latter. It's Hybrid BASIC by the way.

Is it really that slow?

I think that would be a great contest entry, but you would have to add much more than what you have already added or plan to add.
Looks like we're stealing a few sprites and concepts from Kerm, eh? Very Happy What's your sprite's movement increment, about 6 pixels or so?
I wouldn't say it's terribly slow for BASIC. It's a mere 500 bytes, and the collision detection math is pretty hefty. So far it generates random maps in which all parts of them are accessible, and lets you run around them. It would be very trivial to add actual games such as:
Collect coins in X amount of time
Dodge lasers that fly out of the walls
Get through a randomly generated maze (an actual maze, not something as simple as in the screenie) in X amount of time.
And I mean vverrrryyy trivial.

Kerm: The movement increment varies on the acceleration. With an arrow key pressed you accelerate at 2px/s^2. Jumping increased your vertical velocity by 6m/s, gravity is -2px/s^2. Air resistance is .1px/s^2 and floor friction is .3px/s^2.
And I changed your sprites a bit because they didn't fit with my collision detection scheme. Of course they look similar though because there are only a certain number of ways to draw a stickman in 8x8.
ooh, physics!

This sounds very promising!
Lol, reminds me of something KermM sent me a while back...
SirCmpwn wrote:
0x5, reminds me of something KermM sent me a while back...

You mean this?
http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3102

KermMartian wrote:
Currently runs at 86.13 FPS [on a 6MHz calc]

Kerm also made a similar demo, but his is pure ASM:

Edit: Kerm beat me in.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Kerm also made a similar demo, but his is pure ASM:

Edit: Kerm beat me in.
Aye, and with the one with collision detection and object interaction. Wink Yours is very impressive in that it's BASIC, though, and I hope you'll submit it in some form or another to the contest.
I'd never seen the .gif you posted up. I wast aware you'd gotten past simple character movement.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
I'd never seen the .gif you posted up. I wast aware you'd gotten past simple character movement.
Then apparently you never read past the first page of that thread. Wink I've been tossing around picking that project up again after CALCnet; we'll see if I actually do. I'll probably have to add smooth-scrolling of some sort for the game to be viable with 8x8 sprites on that small of a screen.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours