DP
So does anyone have any thoughts on that latest planned design? Also, does anyone have experience with milling plastics, any suggestion between Delrin, ABS, or something else?
I think it sounds good, and also you should make more of this type and sell them. Personally I like this version better than the previous ones. Also, what is the case going to be made out of, plastic? If you're not sure I'd suggest using a metal material so that its more durable. BTW, if you decide to sell them, I'll buy one.
Svakk wrote:
I think it sounds good, and also you should make more of this type and sell them. Personally I like this version better than the previous ones. Also, what is the case going to be made out of, plastic? If you're not sure I'd suggest using a metal material so that its more durable. BTW, if you decide to sell them, I'll buy one.
Haha, nice, although I don't have any plans to try to commercialize it (especially since I'd be reselling TI's hardware, which I don't think is allowed). I'm planning on using some kind of hard plastic like ABS (which is what the original calc case is made of) or Delrin, another hard plastic.
KermMartian wrote:
I'm planning on using some kind of hard plastic like ABS (which is what the original calc case is made of) or Delrin, another hard plastic.

Sounds good enough to me. Any specific color choice?

KermMartain wrote:
Haha, nice, although I don't have any plans to try to commercialize it (especially since I'd be reselling TI's hardware, which I don't think is allowed).

Crushed My Dreams....
Sorry Svakk, didn't mean to crush your dreams. Smile I'll probably just pick some random color, whatever is easier to obtain, and then either use vinyl dye or spraypaint to get it colored to my taste. Based on what I've read and what Ultimate Dev'r has said in the past, vinyl dye would be the better choice.
Yeah its okay, I'll just get some new dreams.

But yeah, Vinyl does sound like it'll work fairly well. Can't wait to see the finished project!
I like the design, but it would be nice if there was a D-pad above the analog nub, since controlling with just the nub isn't very accurate. I don't know if that's the final case design or not, but you should smooth off the edges and corners, it would give the case a nice streamlined look.
AncientPower wrote:
I like the design, but it would be nice if there was a D-pad above the analog nub, since controlling with just the nub isn't very accurate.
Not a bad idea, I'll see if I can fit it in.
AncientPower wrote:
I don't know if that's the final case design or not, but you should smooth off the edges and corners, it would give the case a nice streamlined look.
Easily done (I think); I'll need to learn a little more about the precision of the CNC machine this will be constructed on, but hopefully that will be possible.
Yeah that does sound like a good idea. The rounded corners will mean you won't cut yourself 0x5
Svakk wrote:
Yeah that does sound like a good idea. The rounded corners will mean you won't cut yourself 0x5
This is true. I was afraid that rounded corners would be prohibitively complex to machine, but now that I'm looking at it, I'm thinking it won't be a problem at all.
Well even if you don't do it rounded completely, you could always do rounded corners on the top and just have the sides straight, that way you don't have any sharp edges, but they aren't completely rounded off.

That might be easier.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking at this point. From a top-down view with the LCD closest to you, the four visible corners are rounded so you appear to be looking down on a rounded rectangle. Looking up at the bottom edge or down at the top edge, you would see what appears to be a sharp-cornered rectangle.
KermMartian wrote:
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking at this point. From a top-down view with the LCD closest to you, the four visible corners are rounded so you appear to be looking down on a rounded rectangle. Looking up at the bottom edge or down at the top edge, you would see what appears to be a sharp-cornered rectangle.

Exactly my thoughts! Can't wait to catch a glimpse of the final product!
This is a great project! Smile This is what TI should have done to their calc series in the first place.... Razz

Hope to see a final product in the future! Very Happy
alberthrocks wrote:
This is a great project! Smile This is what TI should have done to their calc series in the first place.... Razz

Hope to see a final product in the future! Very Happy
Thanks, I hope so too, I unfortunately haven't gotten much time to work on it of late. Smile I noticed you were posting in a similarly-named thread elsewhere, but I didn't get a chance to check it out. Did you have some custom calc ideas?
Hm... maybe a regular USB host? Smile
That'll be awesome for usb8x and other programs to use Wink
alberthrocks wrote:
Hm... maybe a regular USB host? Smile
That'll be awesome for usb8x and other programs to use Wink
That would indeed be cool! Regarding your ideas about a Linux-powered, color-screen, portable custom calculator not based on TI's designs, I think you're better off just writing graphing calculator software for the OpenPandora:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_%28console%29

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours